• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Pledge of Allegiance

K

Kazumi the Wild

I'd guess the "Under God" addition that came much later. I didn't know the whole "Under God" addition was spearheaded by the Knights of Columbus, though.

Ever since I was about, oh, 11ish, I stopped reciting the Pledge of Allegiance (though I did stand respectfully). I've always been a bit of a rebel, and while I enjoy living in this country, I don't feel the country itself (nor its flag) should be subject to a pledge of allegiance engrained into children too young to understand what they're pledging. Perhaps I was just a dumb kid, but until then it was just a thing you mouthed out in a drone at the beginning of class - a ritual, not a solumn vow, as it should be.

Better no pledge at all until the full extent of what is being pledged is understood by those stating it, in my humble opinion.