• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

the player housing system in this game is a masterpiece

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Agreed. It really is super unique and cool. Rare to see people saying good things about the game on these forums.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its amazing to me after all these years no other game has even come close to trying to replicate it
This. Most of them don't even get it how it "should" be. I have seen multiple MMOs over the past 20 years tout and the ideas that they are most proud of are meh compared to a much older game.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Landmark... was so close... so close... but failed... sadly.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its amazing to me after all these years no other game has even come close to trying to replicate it
i feel the same way. in 2004 i used to sell it to my high school friends as "like the sims, but you can have a pet dragon!", and that's still true in 2021

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I enjoyed decorating my home in UO with various items. But there were also tons of pains with items sticking through floors, missing corner pieces, etc.

I'd say it's more a decorator's dream, less a builder's dream. To name one example, I enjoy building houses in Ark a lot more. You are not limited to a tiny 18x18 square footprint but can be much more creative in shape and size. There is less deco though, but still plenty. Structure lag is deffo a real issue that comes with it though.

It's hard to compare all games as they all have their strong and weak points. None is perfect. IMO UO is no exception to this. You can call me the party pooper now if you want :)

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oh if you want to talk about making pretty scenes then I chose FlowScape... it's a thing a friend bought me on steam....... loads of fun with that... but it's not really a game...

Landmark had the best housing IMO ... if they had put some actual work and thought into that game instead of being stupid with it... that game would have rivaled UO in a heartbeat.....

You could place your "plot" anywhere just about... and it was HUGE let me tell you... and it was a particular size... but 3d... so if you wanted your plot could be completely underground with just a smidge of area sticking above the surface and you could build down into the ground as much as you wanted... or you could have your plot entirely above the ground...... and build HUGE skyscrapers.... or you could do half and half or whatever you wanted... And you could build out of any material ... was somewhat like Minecraft at first but as we learned to manipulate the materials better and more consistently smoothing and controlling it we were making incredible designs... some of the really GREAT designers were making things that just left you in awe... Loved that game... and then Sony destroyed it and sold it to Daybreak Games who crushed it and then totally borked it and then said "Oh nope not good enough" and scrapped it.... because of their poor management of the game it died. I miss it... and would pick it back up if they ever put it out again... but I think it's gone to game heaven or whatever... wherever dead games go when they are pulled.

Sad.

This was one of the final buildings I was working on before they pulled the plug on it.

Attachments

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh if you want to talk about making pretty scenes then I chose FlowScape... it's a thing a friend bought me on steam....... loads of fun with that... but it's not really a game...

Landmark had the best housing IMO ... if they had put some actual work and thought into that game instead of being stupid with it... that game would have rivaled UO in a heartbeat.....

You could place your "plot" anywhere just about... and it was HUGE let me tell you... and it was a particular size... but 3d... so if you wanted your plot could be completely underground with just a smidge of area sticking above the surface and you could build down into the ground as much as you wanted... or you could have your plot entirely above the ground...... and build HUGE skyscrapers.... or you could do half and half or whatever you wanted... And you could build out of any material ... was somewhat like Minecraft at first but as we learned to manipulate the materials better and more consistently smoothing and controlling it we were making incredible designs... some of the really GREAT designers were making things that just left you in awe... Loved that game... and then Sony destroyed it and sold it to Daybreak Games who crushed it and then totally borked it and then said "Oh nope not good enough" and scrapped it.... because of their poor management of the game it died. I miss it... and would pick it back up if they ever put it out again... but I think it's gone to game heaven or whatever... wherever dead games go when they are pulled.

Sad.

This was one of the final buildings I was working on before they pulled the plug on it.
Looks like a screenshot from Myst...

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I enjoyed decorating my home in UO with various items. But there were also tons of pains with items sticking through floors, missing corner pieces, etc.

I'd say it's more a decorator's dream, less a builder's dream. To name one example, I enjoy building houses in Ark a lot more. You are not limited to a tiny 18x18 square footprint but can be much more creative in shape and size. There is less deco though, but still plenty. Structure lag is deffo a real issue that comes with it though.

It's hard to compare all games as they all have their strong and weak points. None is perfect. IMO UO is no exception to this. You can call me the party pooper now if you want :)
To me, the most impressive part of UO housing is about something different. Running around the world and just seeing houses littered throughout it. Entire neighborhoods are created. Good locations are coveted. Real estate is an entire economy. ARK has a max 140 players per server or something? Admittedly, I didn't dive too deep into it, and it was a long time ago, but the size of ARKs servers made housing feel less... important. It didn't have that same massive, single persistent world feel that UO does (or did) with housing at that same scale. And couldn't players destroy your house?

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Never liked decorating in UO, the most frustrating part for me was dropping an object against a wall and hoping it snaps to the right axis/direction.
And then raising/lowering items is done pixel by pixel using that deco tool.
The customization part however was pretty good, but I still preferred the old classic houses.

I too love the housing.
What I would love to see is a "house search" option from the sign, similar to vendor search.
Hunt for deeds, armour, artifacts. Place items in a moving crate at my feet when checked.
Either that or I need to get all my junk organized.
Spend half my time searching for things I know I have "somewhere".
*old man muttering continues.....

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
140 players per server or something?
Official servers have a limit of 70 concurrent players. People come and go all the time. I love checking out bases and all the tames they got there as well. They got different servers for PvP and PvE and on PvE you can't damage other players' structures.

Personally I also think the real estate economy in UO is bad. A new player shouldn't need to pay a cheater all his belongings for a nice housing spot. But that's a whole different can of worms. There are no realtors on Ark and nobody misses them.

Last edited:

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
lets not pretend there wasn't growing pains with the housing system.
so many times i can remember getting killed for my house key and loosing everything, so frustrating.

but yes, the housing system is a strong draw for me as well.
nothing i enjoy more than having my castle and my horde pile i can sit on top of and reminisce about adventures of days past.

Njjj

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found it immersive to have to guard your key to avoid having your house ransacked. But that was for a simpler time, and I wouldn't want it back now.

There were also bugs that allowed break-ins, and those were certainly frustrating.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so many times i can remember getting killed for my house key and loosing everything, so frustrating.
Oh my gosh soo much this! I can't tell you how many times I got killed by characters that were named after cereal!

It happened soo often I started to carry a rune named "home" in a bag with my key that was in a guarded zone in Vesper! I got lots of reds that killed me guard wacked that way!

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Oh my gosh soo much this! I can't tell you how many times I got killed by characters that were named after cereal!

It happened soo often I started to carry a rune named "home" in a bag with my key that was in a guarded zone in Vesper! I got lots of reds that killed me guard wacked that way!
I stole so many house and boat keys from people in guarded zones back before Tram existed. Back when being a thief was fun :)

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A new player shouldn't need to pay a cheater all his belongings for a nice housing spot. But that's a whole different can of worms. There are no realtors on Ark and nobody misses them.
A new player doesn't exactly need a luna vendor house or a castle in prime spot. Ive been playing this game for decades and have never owned either. I've always been able to place a house somewhere and make do. Giving away some of the most valuable spots and homes to just anyone who signs up really cheapens housing in my opinion. Takes away any of the uniqueness and specialness of the housing system. And, in my opinion, why UO housing is a "masterpiece" compared to something like ARK. You need to give new players something to work towards.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
where are castle/keep plots. the things we could do would be a good selling point.

Ning

Journeyman
I've always loved the housing. From living out of a small fieldstone on ice isle with 5 of my newbie friends in the beginning to placing my first castle on placement night to scoring choice spots at IDOCs to getting my faction guild house attacked by COM and SL. Some of my favorite moments in the game involved the housing. I've spent hundreds of hours and God knows how much gold decorating. Coming back 6 months ago and placing a keep outside Cove was a great moment too. It was the one house type I had never managed to place on Sonoma prior and it felt like an accomplishment to finally complete my "set".

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I stole so many house and boat keys from people in guarded zones back before Tram existed. Back when being a thief was fun :)
I have no idea of what you speak of.....

pk boat collection.jpg

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A new player doesn't exactly need a luna vendor house or a castle in prime spot. Ive been playing this game for decades and have never owned either. I've always been able to place a house somewhere and make do. Giving away some of the most valuable spots and homes to just anyone who signs up really cheapens housing in my opinion. Takes away any of the uniqueness and specialness of the housing system. And, in my opinion, why UO housing is a "masterpiece" compared to something like ARK. You need to give new players something to work towards.
In my opinion the work should be in building your actual base/house and collecting stuff to put into it. Not saving for ages to pay some guy that uses housing as a second income. When my max storage house on Atl fell, some guy placed a plot there reading "4 sale". He clearly has no intention of using the spot other than turning a profit. And I'm not talking luna or castles, simply some random 15x17 in the middle of nowhere in fel. People in Ark have to work a lot to setup a good base, upgrading through various layers from a simple thatch hut over wooden structures, stone structures, then metal structures and finally pretty expensive "tek" structures. Just they work for their own progress, not to pay someone else off.

It's hard to compare every detail. But in general I think many other games have improvements to offer over UO's system, while UO also has some strong points that I miss in other games (like the sheer endless amount of decoration items UO has to offer). I just like to be realistic there. Saying UO's system is objectively the best of all games out there rather sounds like rose colored glasses of - well - an UO player on a UO forum. It shoulnd't come as a suprise to anyone, just it should also be pretty clear that the opinions on a specific games' forum are highly biased towards this game. That's btw. also true the other way around. While UO players say EA/BS are the worst, all my Fallout friends tell me there is nothing worse than Bethesda, and on Ark they all hate Wildcard over anything else.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
while UO does have the best housing design system, Fallout 76 come in with a very close 2nd.
I liked the camp building in FO4 way more. The stash box in FO76 is IMO a horrible concept. Always full, always a mess. People store their weapons on alt accounts because of this instead of organizing them in different containers. Glad they upped the stash box limit once more lately though.

Last edited:

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@petemage - This is what I have always thought, the house should have some resource cost to build once the plot has been paid for. Timber boards/stone/ingots etc, would have been a great commodity for the economy.

@Cork - As above, I remember getting my house key stolen and house cleared, along with getting my boat stolen after mining wall north of Minoc all day. Buggers waited for you on shore and swiped the key while you were ore hopping.
I was 14/15 years old when this was done to me after a long day/weekend battling my parents for the landline use. Then the game would crash and probably have some type of error or patch that would then add fuel to the rage fire!

Back to housing - Even the basic items you could craft for the houses compared to the current game, were just awesome. Such an enjoyable part of the game seeing how people use the same items for different designs. I just use to be in awe and still can be today with some people dedication and vision for deco.

My deco is and has always been old school, with a couple of newer items that make your life/organising easier.

Deschet

Journeyman
Wish there was an account housing footprint that you could allocate across different shards as you desired. Think it would do wonders for helping the 'dead shard' economies.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I really liked the design of houses in shroud of the avatar, that is one of the few things they got right. Unfortunately, they sold castles for 10,000 real dollars, and I believe a golden castle even for 30,000 real dollars. I am glad I never seedinvested or kickstarter backed it, as it turned out to be a ponzi scheme, supported by Lord British aka Richard Garriott himself.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
In Horizons (quite an old MMO from 2003) you had to actually build a house/building with resources, it took an age of all working together to make it! We would form a line of people harvesting/processing and carrying the resources to the plot, it was an interesting way of doing things and quite realistic. Everyone would be relieved when the home/guild house was finished but there were no furniture items so it was just a shell! :rolleyes: A great shame really. :D

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In Landmark building cost resources... I spent hours mining up the stone to build my homes... was well worth it though... Loved that game but sadly the DEVs seemed to do their best to destroy it... and it finally died shortly after it was finally released.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The game does have one of the best if not houseing systems. The codeing must be a nightmare to work with.

I always thought it would be nice for 3d houseing but when you look at it are 2d1/2 is the best setup. Would really be a nightmare for the art department and coder to make something like ares in a 3d world like Everquest, WoW and the other. I would beleave we would be at 2003 levels of 3d then.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The game does have one of the best if not houseing systems. The codeing must be a nightmare to work with.

I always thought it would be nice for 3d houseing but when you look at it are 2d1/2 is the best setup. Would really be a nightmare for the art department and coder to make something like ares in a 3d world like Everquest, WoW and the other. I would beleave we would be at 2003 levels of 3d then.
I thought of that when I played Black Desert Online... it was like Sims sort of housing.... but you couldn't expand... just paint the walls and floors and that cost money... but I still like the housing there... was kinda interesting to have it be instanced... but nice... But that game has issues with housing... wasn't horrible... just not the best... I did like though how you could actually have friends in your house unlike some games... where IMO it's stupid to deco a house no one but you will ever see...

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've enjoyed building in Valheim so far. I think with some more time it will be on par with ARK.

I would like to see some more options with the housing tilesets. How long has it been since we've seen new ones? Did Time of Legends add any? IMO they could rake in some cash if they released tileset bundles for housing in different themes to the UO store.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
In my opinion the work should be in building your actual base/house and collecting stuff to put into it. Not saving for ages to pay some guy that uses housing as a second income. When my max storage house on Atl fell, some guy placed a plot there reading "4 sale". He clearly has no intention of using the spot other than turning a profit. And I'm not talking luna or castles, simply some random 15x17 in the middle of nowhere in fel. People in Ark have to work a lot to setup a good base, upgrading through various layers from a simple thatch hut over wooden structures, stone structures, then metal structures and finally pretty expensive "tek" structures. Just they work for their own progress, not to pay someone else off.

It's hard to compare every detail. But in general I think many other games have improvements to offer over UO's system, while UO also has some strong points that I miss in other games (like the sheer endless amount of decoration items UO has to offer). I just like to be realistic there. Saying UO's system is objectively the best of all games out there rather sounds like rose colored glasses of - well - an UO player on a UO forum. It shoulnd't come as a suprise to anyone, just it should also be pretty clear that the opinions on a specific games' forum are highly biased towards this game. That's btw. also true the other way around. While UO players say EA/BS are the worst, all my Fallout friends tell me there is nothing worse than Bethesda, and on Ark they all hate Wildcard over anything else.
Bethesda is genuinely the worst. Didn't use to be until they made big money.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes and while some of it is good... I love those windows.... some of them just look completely fake and plastic... it lacks any...... how do I say it.... fine detail. Like if you take many of the old doors say..... and look at them... you can see the nails in the hardware... grain in the wood... the stone has depth to it... the new stuff is just a plain flat gray with plain white lines drawn over it.... there is no ... how do I want to put it "shadowing" to the brickwork... making it look like a fake piece of that hideous plywood crap from the 70's that is everywhere... And most of the newer stuff only opens in one direction... you only get 2 facings and they only open in... not out... and such because... well... lazy or over hurried work... The tiles also seem to have "gaps" or something in some surfaces... making it look.... off.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes and while some of it is good... I love those windows.... some of them just look completely fake and plastic... it lacks any...... how do I say it.... fine detail. Like if you take many of the old doors say..... and look at them... you can see the nails in the hardware... grain in the wood... the stone has depth to it... the new stuff is just a plain flat gray with plain white lines drawn over it.... there is no ... how do I want to put it "shadowing" to the brickwork... making it look like a fake piece of that hideous plywood crap from the 70's that is everywhere... And most of the newer stuff only opens in one direction... you only get 2 facings and they only open in... not out... and such because... well... lazy or over hurried work... The tiles also seem to have "gaps" or something in some surfaces... making it look.... off.
uo's graphics are so old they're basically pixel art, which has the same charm as hand-drawn animation. trying to remodel them precisely in 3d is a challenge. i still use 2d and think i always will. the only decent 3d client was the aos era, but even there the only improvement over 2d was some of the monsters were funky and you could still see colour when you were a ghost. (as a kid i spent most of my time exploring the world in 3d as a ghost, i was on 28kps outback dial-up at the time so my only option was to figure out a way to play the game while permanently dead)