• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Pits of Jhelom (part 3)

T

Trillin

The Pits Of Jhelom
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
Awaken, Chapter 3

The cold stone floor beneath him did nothing to quell the burning beneath his skin. As Thanatos returned to consciousness he let out a growl of frustration. Pain was not a sensation he was used to. He coughed and pushed himself into a sitting position against the wall. The other captives in the cell seemed to shrink back.

“I’m leaving. If you seek freedom, then follow me when they come for me next. You will have one chance.” Said Thanatos. He could see surprise in the faces of the others, and smiled inwardly.

“Why would we ever consider helping you?” One captive, braver than the others, spoke up though his voice shook.

Thanatos smiled and cocked his head to one side. He was hoping someone would question his motives. It enabled him to deliver the line that would scare the others into complacency.

“Because, if you don’t achieve freedom now, it wont be long before I kill you in the arena. And I will kill you.” There was menace in the gladiators eyes as he spoke. “So, die tomorrow ,alone and surrounded by thousands of strangers . Or die ten, twenty, thirty years from now surrounded by your loved ones. Your choice.” And with that, he leaned back against the wall, letting his eyes drift closed. He could feel the now warm metal of the spearhead against the flesh of his calf. The knowledge of its presence calmed him, and as he waited for his next battle to arrive, he could almost smell the clean air of the outdoors, could almost taste the freedom, and he smiled in anticipation