• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player Event) The Peerage of Siege Perilous: [SPHS] Interviews Igg A Pie, Siege's Broker of Trades and Alliances!

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
(EDITOR'S NOTE: I have enjoyed doing the Peerage Interviews to date, the support and participation have been outstanding from Siege Perilous members. However, I have intentionally avoided this interview for some time. As you will read below, Igg A Pie and I were in a guild together for several years, during which time some controversial actions were taken. Since then I have always been extremely conflicted in our relationship. On the one hand, Igg more than any single person kept me in UO and got me trained up on Siege. On the other hand, he was also responsible for not only ending some of my happiest days in the game, but the events detailed below also indirectly contributed to some of the shards best players leaving. I can honestly say I am happy Igg is back. The stress he describes in brokering is something I have experienced first hand with him, and as recently as a few weeks back I couldn't be sure that if I saw him in game I wouldn't try and murder him on the spot. (Sorry Igg!). But he also is correct in identifying the un-importance of the drama in the long run, and if anything, his take on some of the more colorful events in this shard's past reveal a maturity that is definitely absent in General Chat lately. I've given a lot of thought into doing this one, and at the end of the day when the balance is settled, Igg (one of the few players who I know information about in real life) is a dedicated dad, a careful person, and someone I'm glad to have spent my UO time with as friends. I encourage everyone who was present for the events described below to revisit them with fresh eyes cleared by time, and for those who were not, MUCH can be gleaned that would benefit the current environment between both sides of the VvV factions. Thank you, - Calavera)

Igg.png

[SPHS]: What was your first experience with Ultima Online?

IGG: I first played Ultima in 1990-91. A friend of mine introduced me to Quest of the Avatar for Nintendo. I made arrangements to start playing Ultima Online the second I found out about it. I bought a computer and started my journey in Feb of 1999.

[SPHS]: What brought you to Siege? How long have you played here, and how frequently do you play now?

IGG: I played the shard of Great Lakes for many, many years. Like most, one way or another, I wound up on the shard of Atlantic for awhile. I eventually got bored and created a character on Siege just to try it out. I played a prodo shard and Siege both for a long time. I have been here on Siege, more on than off since 2008. Earlier this year I cut ties with prodo altogether with no plans on returning. There is no place like Siege! Lately I would say I have been on 4 or 5 days a week. Sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes up to 3 or 4 hours. Just depends on how much time real life allows.

[SPHS]: In the last month, what did you spend the majority of your game time doing?

IGG: I am just selling stuff as of late. Server birth items to recent anniversary items. Just trying to reinsert my self back into the community. I always make it a point to say hello in gen chat when I get on. I pride myself on trying to address every person directly who responds.

[SPHS]: To date, what has been your best day on Siege?

IGG: My best day here on Siege is a selfish one. It was when I placed my home on Justice Island. It is easily my favorite thing in UO and a guilty pleasure. I truly enjoy that house more than any single item I HAVE EVER OWNED, at any given time, in all the years I played. I had A LOT of help and luck getting it, but now its all mine............MUHAHAH!

justice.png

[SPHS]: Which players do you interact with the most?

IGG: I do not interact with any one single person or group as of late. I try and be friendly to everyone I talk to and helpful when I can. I don't really like seeking acknowledgement for good deeds. You should do them because you want to. However, I have done my fair share. I have made plenty of donations to people that need them. I have been very fortunate & understand how to generate gold on Siege. Giving back seems like the right thing to do. Siege is such a grind. Sometimes all someone needs is a little push to get them going and it makes a HUGE difference.

IGG: I have always been sorta of a lone wolf trying to fit in when I can. As in real life, I always keep coming up with projects for myself to keep me busy. So it never seems like I am finished doing what I feel needs to be done.

[SPHS]: Are you in a guild, and if so, how many other players are in it? What guilds were you in before this one?

IGG: I was formally the guild leader of B^A (Brave Amateur's). However, I have removed my characters recently with the thought of a fresh start on the horizon. I may be potentially interested in joining another guild in the future. However, for the time being, I would like to weigh options and make a decision for what would be best for me and another group. However, I would like to take care of a project I am currently working on before I move forward with any potential guild.

[SPHS]: What was the initial startup of the Siege Rares Museum? How did that come about?

IGG: I started the Siege rares museum a few years back. I put a lot of work in obtaining the property, decorating and trying to assemble a collection for display for all to see. I was really big into gathering and then displaying every item, for every year, for every holiday season and anniversary. I collected information and organized as best I could.

IGG: Rares collecting evolved from that and then took on a life of its own in addition to the season and anniversary collections. I was very heavy into collecting for a long time. At some point, it really started to take a toll and became unenjoyable. I was compromising too much and over paying to keep up with the Jones'. It simply was not fun anymore. It was becoming a chore more than a hobby. I eventually sold the museum to another party. After two years of them owning it, I feel they may have run into a similar experience, compounded with a lack of playing time the museum was parted out. All in all, I think it is a good thing. It will allow for items that would not normally be available to go into circulation for others to enjoy.

IGG: The museum took a large amount of work, dedication, and gold for upkeep. I am kind of a stickler for detail so it had to be a certain way as far as I was concerned. Through personal experience, times change, life changes, and priorities become different. I have since kept only a handful of rares I enjoy and only plan on purchasing ones I find of interest. Beyond that, not much more.

[SPHS]: What were the hardest items to acquire on Siege for the collection? What were the "ones that got away" so to speak?

IGG: I never really had a problem getting items for the museum. Getting rares just kinda happens. I was speaking with someone a few weeks ago and they used the term "rares luck". I thought it was really fitting. For everything else..............All items have a price. It's just a matter if you are willing to pay it.

IGG: The only one that i feel got away was, "Dragon Scale Earrings". I briefly spoke to a guy on Stratics with the handle "the slayer". He claimed he owned the earrings and showed them to me in game. He was able to access his account with Return To Britannia and found them in the bank. He said, "You can rest assured that if I leave the game permanently these will go to you". I was very excited about this. Not just because it was such a rare item but because it is a piece of Siege history that would NEVER be lost again. I am unsure if he left permanently or is playing under an alias....all I know is the post was last read by him April 4th, 2016 and I never heard from him again. If you're out there.......I AM STILL INTERESTED! LOL.

[SPHS]: As someone who has served as a third-party broker for big trades (and prodo / Siege trades) what was the biggest trade you ever assisted with (keep it anonymous if necessary)?

IGG: I traded a "Daemon Blood Candle" I owned on Great Lakes and traded it for a ridiculous amount of Siege gold in return. That deal single-handedly made me Siege wealthy. Not rich......wealthy. From that point, I was off and running.

IGG: Brokering deals is very stressful on people in general that are not familiar with the process. It is a leap of faith to take something you do not want to lose, hand it to a stranger, and get back the promised goods. I understand that and try to make both parties feel at ease, best I can. I have brokered hundreds and hundreds of millions in gold and items over the years and have always tried to be very professional about it. I feel very humbled with the amount of trust people place in me to compete deals for them.

[SPHS]: If you could pick one player who is no longer on the shard that you could return, who would it be and why?

IGG: Without a doubt it would be TRU. He and I had a falling out over what I thought was something important. It ultimately became a battle of wills. I of course would not bend and neither would he. Looking back on it............it was just stupid. All drama usually is. He is a great guy, was an awesome person, and he called things like he saw it. Many times I was in Vent with him and he would call people out, in our guild nonetheless, on some BS they were claiming to be true. That always impressed me about him. I would apologize to him if I could.

[SPHS]: The falling out you are referencing is of course the return of Diablo several years ago and TRU's willingness to add him to the alliance that B^A led at the time. It completely changed the face of Siege alliances in the months that followed, and indirectly lead to the eventual exodus of longtime players like Freja and Dark Star and Feanaro. In the carnage that followed, you recruited Virem and Hey Arnold to embarras Diablo and essentially run him off shard. Though forgotten in the ensuing turmoil, this was initally well received by Siege players. Does it seem ironic to you now that in eliminating what may have been the most hated player on the shard you ultimately created what led to your extended break and the exodus of your alliance?

IGG: I wasn't going to mention names or get into details about why what happend............happened. However, since you brought it up, Yes, my intention was that I was going to get rid of Diablo. I was pissed that TRU went back on a promise to NOT add him to the alliance if he were ever to return. I felt both hurt and betrayed. It was quickly followed by revenge. I was going to make the point that B^A could be just as powerful with or without an alliance come hell or high water. In hindsight, it came at a very high price.

IGG: You are right, it led to me taking a very long break from UO. I didn't dwell on it. However, I did regret my decision over time. I felt really bad for the other members in the guild. We had a real nice core group and were active. I felt terrible that poor decisions on my part led to its demise.

[SPHS]: As a member of B^A at that time, I think your comment about a having a "real nice core group" is definitely accurate. We were on almost every night doing something. I remember us doing a Harrower (my first ever), T R U in Vent talking about roughing up a boyfriend of someone for being disrespectful, Feanaro misunderstanding my surprise that the big Brit ship was something like 5 million library turn-in points and dropping one in the turn-in can, or you scolding me for pointing out to Dark Star how CharGar was wearing some expensive gear at an EM event, as you described it, "stirring up some S##T" :) We had a lot of laughs. Have you heard from any of those guys in the last few years? If so, how are they doing? Do they know about Endless Journey?

IGG: I have not heard from any of those players in almost 2 years. I sent Fean a text a few months ago but he never responded.

[SPHS]: Though it seems tame compared to the current antagonism between the White Alliance and VICE Alliance, B^A had a strong anti-GIL flavor at times. What was your immediate response when first Dark Star and later VinnySP joined GIL? That had to be one of those classic WTF moments, right?

IGG: Dark Star leaving was not really a surprise. He mentioned in passing he did not like the direction the guild was going. I logged in one day and....poof. He was gone. I was a tad surprised Vinny did join GIL. No particular reason just something I was not expecting. Vinny and Dark Star are real good dudes. GIL is lucky to have both of them.

[SPHS]: After years of playing in both the foreground and background of the shard, who are some of the players you still respect the most, and why? Surely Sprago is up there, he used to raid 5 or 6 of us at a time by himself. Dude's cojones are so heavy his garg wings can't lift them off the ground I think!

IGG: Sprago is definitely up there. Righty and a few others come to mind. The old O~S guys. Heavenless, Saint Dismas and Nighstalker and Chum they were great but I could not stand the fact their guild did not use Ventrillo. I also miss having Fean around for sure. He and I got along pretty well.

IGG: This list would actually be quite long. Truth of the matter is I am TERRIBLE with names. That being said, I have met so many great people on Siege. I feel embarrassed I can't remember all their names. It would be an insult to them by referring to them as a description or memory rather than their actual name.

[SPHS]: After Diablo and TRU left, you were pulled into even more controversey when Virem and Hey Arnold began disrupting the 'gentlemans' agreement' to not loot on Sunday VvV. That...got ugly. Once you pulled out of Siege politics, several small groups of VICE players coalesced around a new alliance led by Max Blackoak with the primary intent of removing Virem and Hey Arnold. In the current Siege landscape, that same alliance is now in a heated disagreement with White Alliance members over killing and looting at EM events. Is it possible to actually play a VICE type role on this shard without ultimately becoming embroiled in a he said / she said General Chat drama?

IGG: I really like Hey Arnold and Virem. However, they were a little rigid. That was OK with me, people are who they are. All in all they were good guys who just like to kill people, looting was just a bonus for them. The fact that people were getting worked up about it only fueled the fire. I honestly did try and get them to play nice on VvV Sunday. When they wouldn't, everyone was looking at me to step in and stop it. As I mentioned earlier I was way out of my depth. As I look back now, it was a simple decision, choose to kick them from B^A to show unity with the rest of the shard or maintain my stance and try to punish those I felt wronged me. I chose the latter and I was wrong. Like I said, at that time, I dug in and justified it. There was no moving me off it.

IGG: I do not think it is possible to play a VICE role and NOT get caught up in the he said/she general chat drama. Not at this time. It is my opinion this [current issue with White Alliance and VICE] is very similar to what happened to me a few years ago. Just a different cast of characters.

[SPHS]: Do you think if TRU were to return now it would be possible to have TWO large VICE-themed alliances on Siege? Or is it even possible to muster enough non-White Alliance / non-current VICE alliance groups to form a large "third-party" type force that could hold its own? Siege does have a strong streak of independent solo players after all.

IGG: That is a tough question for me only because I am not 100% sure how VvV actually works. I am unsure of the penalties if you kill some members of your vice/virtue alliance. However, if I had to guess, I would say NO it is not possible. I think it comes down to who you dislike more. Is the enemy of my enemy my friend?

[SPHS]: If you could permanently REMOVE one anything (activity / item / player / encounter / mechanic) from the shard, what would it be and why?

IGG: For the shard of Siege Perilous, that's easy...........SOULSTONES!!!!!

[SPHS]: Soulstones? Don't you own something like 40+ Legacy Tokens from when it was a de facto coin of the realm on Siege?

IGG: I do own many soulstones, just because I can. I am taking advantage of the system laid out in front of me. I mean, if insurance was available....would you not use it? I don't really have a problem with them but I think they undermine the core community aspect of Siege. Let me start off by saying, I don't feel like the devs could have ever foreseen the long term impact I feel soulstones have on Siege. It is just my opinion Siege would be better off without them.

IGG: Let me try and explain. Siege is unique in the fact that you can only create one character. Because of soulstones, everyone has become independent of needing others in the Siege community. You no longer have to interact with people to find the wares that will enable you to play like crafted armor, potions, or instruments. You train the skill, stone it, and break it out when you need it. Who needs Joe Blacksmith or Sally the Scribe? I can do it myself. If I need a bard I can do that and if I need to be a mage I'll just switch out my dexer skills. My point is I would assume that when Siege was created, it was to be challenging. I am sure it was when Siege first opened. The community aspect probably evolved from the very notion that all trades work hand in hand. One hand washes the other. All that is lost now. We are now just so accustomed to having soulstones, we can't imagine Siege without them. Community on Siege now is a watered down version of what it probably once was.

[SPHS]: If you could permanently ADD one anything (activity / item / player / encounter / mechanic) from the shard, what would it be and why?

IGG: Chain quests with random, but worthwhile, non-tradeable rewards

[SPHS]: Who is your nemesis, and why is it Malloc?

IGG: If we are being honest here, I would say..........ME. There are reasons I have been in many guilds. There is a reason I started my own guild. There is a reason I stand alone with no guildmates now. It's because of my own hand.

IGG: For those that do not know, about 3 years ago I recruited players from Atlantic into my guild at the time. My plan was to use those guys as an equalizer for a dispute I was having [see above]. Truth be told, I was out of my depth and had no idea how to manage the situations that would arise from them being in my guild at that time. I compromised some core beliefs and values of Siege when I did it. I convinced myself it was justified to do so because I had a point to prove. I dug my heels in when people were trying to tell me otherwise. No one was going to tell me what to do and how to do it. In one of the posts, someone says that I "misrepresented" myself. They were correct in their observation.

IGG: I said this at the time and believe it still holds true now. One is responsible for his or her actions. One should be ready and willing to accept consequences for those actions regardless of if they knowing or unknowingly realize what those consequences might be. As I said earlier, all the drama is just stupid. I had a great guild before all that nonsense. I am truly sorry to all my guildmates whose experience was ruined due to my ambition. It's also been a long time coming.............I am sorry Siege that I lost my way. I would hope that people could forgive me but I understand if they don't.

[SPHS]:You are dropped into an IDOC brawl and have time to grab one item. What item would you wish to grab above anything else?

IGG: "An Obsidian Bust Of Igg A Pie".

[SPHS]: How many Obsidian Statue quests have you done on Siege?

IGG: The obsidian statues comes from doing the Collector's Quest. Every time you complete the quest you get a piece of obsidian. When you combine 10 individual pieces, you receive a randomly named statue. Their is a remote chance you can have one named after you but the chances are very slim. I want that personally named statue sooooo bad. I will probably continue to do that quest randomly until I do.

IGG: I can honestly say I have done the quest a minimum, of 1500 time.

[SPHS]: What do you use your Siege bless on the most?

IGG: Epaulette Bearing The Crest Of Blackthorn

[SPHS]: For posterity, can you describe the items in your Stratics avatar image? Even though that is a picture of your prodo toon, it still gets commented on from time to time. What items made up that set? How did you piece the whole thing together?

IGG: The scepter is a colored item I bought when a player decided to sell his collection on Atlantic. The lantern is an "I Beat Mesanna Playing Let's Make A Deal On Izumo" event item. The rest of the outfit was nothing special. Just some imbued armor with LRC to get around. I no longer have either of these items. As I said earlier, I am off prodo shards for good.

[SPHS]: If you could give one piece of advice to new or returning players to Siege, what would it be?

IGG: Never......Never have anything on your person that you are not willing to lose. If you do, take extreme measures when you do. If you think like that, then everything is replaceable.

IGG: In my experience one goes thru stages on Siege, at least I did.

IGG: When I got killed early on in my Siege career and got looted it was, "WTF!! You looted me? You PoS!!"

IGG: Die enough times and get looted, then you find yourself saying, "Well that's gonna be real inconvenient."

IGG: Die even more and it becomes, "What else is new? LOL"

Shalimar/Cleo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Good Interview Igg. (I've always liked Igg, I wasn't around for any of the drama he's talked about but whatever bridges may have been burned...they can be rebuilt) Igg donated a jawbone to NEW when he found out we were looking for one...wonderful gesture, thank you.

Ol'Rac Nnod

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Outstanding interview as always, Igg I've visited the justice island home several times and even taken friends there several times just to show them how unique a spot it is and awesome design, I'm only disheartened I can't tour the inside. Could I possibly get friended at some point or even a tour when you're free?

Igg A Pie

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Outstanding interview as always, Igg I've visited the justice island home several times and even taken friends there several times just to show them how unique a spot it is and awesome design, I'm only disheartened I can't tour the inside. Could I possibly get friended at some point or even a tour when you're free?
yeah that wont be a problem. the inside is sorta plain jane but less is more. if i ever get done with some projects the isle will be due for a make over

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excellent interview - from both sides! Fantastic work, Silent! An exciting read! My compliments!

Feanaro

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Im still around man. Sorry that I didnt respond to your text. I have just been really busy at work still working 12 hour days, and it makes it hard to carve out time for gaming between my family and everything else going on. I still try and make time to visit here and log in game from time to time. Eventually I plan on making a return to the game.

Igg A Pie

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im still around man. Sorry that I didnt respond to your text. I have just been really busy at work still working 12 hour days, and it makes it hard to carve out time for gaming between my family and everything else going on. I still try and make time to visit here and log in game from time to time. Eventually I plan on making a return to the game.
all good man. i know ever since you took that promotion work has been crazy for you. its great to see you still check the boards and what not. nice to see you are still around. i think i am gonna be here for the duration. hit me up when you get around to playn again. i hope all is well in real life!!

Spiffykeen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As someone directly involved in the above shenanigans, I never got hurt feelings. We had a good time while we were having it, and I was glad to be part of it! Especially considering my PvP skills have been all but non existent since AoS was released!

Things are always shifting and transforming in this game, just as they are in rl. Nothing lasts forever! (Except blackrock) Don't spend another minute worrying that you ruined anyone's playtime. We are all responsible for our own playtime, when we're unhappy with it, it is on us to stay or go.

Good to see you back a little more on the regular!

Sent from my SM-J737VPP using Tapatalk

Igg A Pie

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As someone directly involved in the above shenanigans, I never got hurt feelings. We had a good time while we were having it, and I was glad to be part of it! Especially considering my PvP skills have been all but non existent since AoS was released!

Things are always shifting and transforming in this game, just as they are in rl. Nothing lasts forever! (Except blackrock) Don't spend another minute worrying that you ruined anyone's playtime. We are all responsible for our own playtime, when we're unhappy with it, it is on us to stay or go.

Good to see you back a little more on the regular!

Sent from my SM-J737VPP using Tapatalk
Thanks Talia! That really means alot to me. I can honestly say I have learned from the whole experience.