• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] The paranoia is getting to me

R

RavenWinterHawk

The duping problem has been an ongoing theme in this forum for a very long time. Tomas-Bryce post on the current dupe influx started, what i feel to be, and unprecedented amount of paranoia.

i see anyone buying or selling rares on the rares forum, I instantly think 'duper'. Buying? wants to dupe them. Selling? they're duped. The one place a legitimate player can post, is corrupt. i have totally stopped posting when I want to buy something. I'm a pretty average gal. if i feel this way, I'm sure there are others that feel this way and aren't saying anything, either. Don't want to get feathered with the duper's tar brush.

But i'm not one of the old time cliquers. i dont have a long standing name. i don't know, except a very few people, any of the old timers, and those only superficially. Every single person I've dealt with ingame has not given me any credit on these boards, so i am even more unbacked.

If i'm viewing 95% of the posters on this forum as dupers, likely so are 95% of the posters viewing me.

i am a rares collector that can not trust a seller. I am a rares buyer that a seller can not trust.

The mob mentality that is developing from this paranoia is scaring me. In our zeal to 'get' the bad guys, we are seriously harming the rares community. We are torn apart.

And in my inflexible refusal in joining into a mob mentality, i am sure to be labeled 'one of them'. As Bush would say 'you're with us or against us'. As if there were no other option.

There is for me.

i would hate to leave these boards, and the tentative reputation I was building. But if i can't trust the community, and the community can't trust me, there is simply no reason to be here.

I dont buy event items. Just not interested.
Maybe an occassional dab at something little.

I never xsharded till the AOS cloth.

The problem is being a game with little accountability, you dont know where anything comes from. Since its a game you cant really know.

1. DUPER pure DUPE and vended.
2. DUPER pure FENCE and vended.
3. DUPER BANNED. House falls and dozens get duped stuff and vended.
4. NON DUPER has 10 of something puts 5 on vendor and looks like DUPER.
5. NON DUPER decides to sell his double and looks like 4
6. FENCE sells to NON FENCE who things he got a deal and vended.

I mean look at vine cord sandals. People still paid 100 of millions even after they were known to be duped. Even after a bag full was found and the guy sold pairs for 10 million.

Because gold is also duped.
So a DUPER paying 100 million for something might make ME RICH but its free gold to him.

We should all be aware that no item is safe from duping but items that havent come out yet.

Because all things have been duped. I wouldnt spend more then 15 million on anything. To survive as a merchant I have to do that. Buy and resell, hoping to make 20 to 50% a sale.

TB's list of duped items is fair. It tells you what was duped at least 1x. And if was duped 1x then expect it to be like valorite hammers. On atlantic over 40 are for sale now at 18 millionish. Figure that out and apply it to any rare item.

E

Elbryan Uthador

People who knowingly trade/buy duped items deserve no respect and in fact to be tarred, as Feath puts it. Read this carefully, I said knowingly.

I for one do not agree with this statement. I just today bought a Shroud of Tal'keesh (this is on the duped list) from a player that has had it since the event. I bought this item to add to my collection of Napa EM event items. Does this make me a "Bad" person, one not worthy of respect on the boards?

If this is the case, make a motion to remove me from the High Council.

F

feath

Just because someone is in the council does not mean they cannot air their personal opinions, no matter how extreme they might be (perceived).
im sorry, i disagree with this statement. This will cause problems if you let it go this way. i expect a body of persons, who are forming a council for the express purpose to guide and inform me and others, to be professional. Anything coming from their mouth, I will see as coming from the council. Rightly or wrongly, I will.

If i work for the mayors office, i do not make personal statements to the public. i make statements that come from the mayors office.

But i think i see the problem. You don't have a selected speaker. perhaps if you did, then it would be easy to see who speaks for the council, and who is simply speaking for themselves. for that matter - i don't know anyone on the council. You have stated in another thread that you, alc and someone else can take emails to add to the wiki. Yet here, you say there are several members.

perhaps a list of who these mysterious people are, and what their functions are, if any. It would be good to know who our council members are :)

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why dont the devs just ban/flame the latest dupers and we will all see who is left playing afterwards?????

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why dont the devs just ban/flame the latest dupers and we will all see who is left playing afterwards?????
Always a good way to tell, no matter who denies a charge, in the end, EA will follow the necessary leads and ban the majority of them. Whoever is left standing will be a fairly good indicator of who took the higher road. Although there may be some surprises as to who vanishes. We'll see in time though.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Always a good way to tell, no matter who denies a charge, in the end, EA will follow the necessary leads and ban the majority of them. Whoever is left standing will be a fairly good indicator of who took the higher road. Although there may be some surprises as to who vanishes. We'll see in time though.
I am as desperate with anticipation as anyone. I can hardly wait for the smoke to clear. I can't buy anything I think is unique until this is done, and I am so tired of waiting.

However I know for a fact that during my investigation into who dupes and purposely buys to resell dupes that all these individuals open up newbie accounts under new IPs on different named credit cards, then they move all the dupes into houses owned by these accounts therefore protecting their investment. What can EA do about them? How do they know who they are, or where their duped items are hidden?

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am as desperate with anticipation as anyone. I can hardly wait for the smoke to clear. I can't buy anything I think is unique until this is done, and I am so tired of waiting.

However I know for a fact that during my investigation into who dupes and purposely buys to resell dupes that all these individuals open up newbie accounts under new IPs on different named credit cards, then they move all the dupes into houses owned by these accounts therefore protecting their investment. What can EA do about them? How do they know who they are, or where their duped items are hidden?
EA logs more than just IP.

K

kray2s

Mandate of Rare Council, in regards to duping, is to let people know of items that have been duped (especially really rare items that might not be widely known to have been duped) and to also let people know who indulges in duping/fencing.

and may i ask - if a council member is found to be participating inaforementioned duping or fencing????

not casting doubts but shouldn't those doing the preaching be whiter than white! so what would be your policy? if a member dupes / fences (and THERE IS PROOF OF IT) - are they defrocked from the council?? or will action be taken in any form?