• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The *old* Tinker FAQ (21 june 2001 updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kofu

Welcome to the tinker forum. Below are the most asked questions feel free to add to this thread if you think something is wrong or should be added.

Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ

1. What to make at what skill?
2. How many ingots from 95 to GM?
3. Does a GM marked tool last longer?
4. What is the use for GM'ing tinkering?
5. What happens if I use colors for tinkering?
6. Which items get a makers mark and which don't?
7. Do I get a count for making Trapped chests?
8. Where can I find useful tinker links?
9. How do I make a potionkeg?
10. Does the strength of the potion matter for strength of the trap?
11. How to make a lockable chest, and how to trap it?
12. Can I put on more than 1 trap at a time?
13. How do I copy keys?
14. Are there any skill gain diaries out there?

1. What to make at what skill?

If you started at 50 tinkering you are able to make shovels from the start these will give you gain as well as being usefull in getting new ingots /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif As soon as you can start making locpicks these will take you to roughly 94-96 skill (in the end it slows down very much but those picks can be sold eaily for 10GP each and are profitable to make). From 94-96 you must switch to a combination of heating stands and spyglasses, make them 1 by 1 and you will gain pretty decent. It is a waste of ingots but it should get you to GM real quick. In total expect to use around 20,000 ingots to get to GM.

If your character doesnt have enought Tinkering to make lockpicks, then buy Tinkering Training up to 30.5, then make clock parts till you get to 48.5, and can start on lockpicks. The clock parts, like lockpicks, only require one ingot a piece. (Thanks to LeBaiton
for this suggestion!)

2. How many ingots from 95 to GM?

You will probably need around 6000 ingots to reach GM. This is of course dependent on what you make and how fast you can make the items and keep producing it. I heard reports upwards to 10K ingots used.

3. Does a GM marked tool last longer?

NOPE, it was in development but till today never implemented. BUT it is tested that the tailoring kit has double so many uses with a makers mark then the ones without. This is the exception to the rule. Rumors also have this is true for tinkertools. For shovels and pickaxes this is NOT true.

4. What is the use for GM'ing tinkering?

Well there are many reasons to GM and just as many not to /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif
First reason is prestige not many GM tinkers around. Second is the fact that you can place your makers mark on items, GM wares sell a bit easier. GM made traps do more damage, the locks are harder to pick. Above all is the fact that the best sellers are GM trapped boxes and GM locked boxes these 2 items will make sure you can get rich in a relative short time. Third is that at GM level you can create and command Golems.

5. What happens if I use colors for tinkering?

Colors will be treated as plain iron. So it is a waste of color ingots.

6. Which items get a makers mark and which don't?

The following items get a makers mark:
<blockquote>
All Tools:
Scissors, mortar &amp; pestle, scorp, tinker tools, hatchet, draw knife, sewing kit, saw, dovetail saw.

All Utensils:
Butcher knife, spoon, plate, fork, cleaver, knifes, goblet, pewter mugs, skinning knife.

All Miscellaneous:
Keyring, candelabra, scales, iron key, globe, spyglass, lantern, heating stand.

All More Tools except lockpick:
Froe, tongs, shovel, hammer, smiths hammer, sledge hammer, inshave, pickaxe.
</blockquote>
The following items dont get a makers mark:
<blockquote>
More Tools:
Lockpicks.

All Parts:
Gears, clock parts, keg tap, springs, sextant parts, barrel hoops, hinge.

All Jewelry:
Ring, necklace (all 3 types), earrings, bracelet.

All Traps.
</blockquote>
Now for the special info.
When I made an exceptional candelabra it said: candelabra.
But when I made a normal one it said: candlabra.
Very strange.

As for the jewelry, only the ring is newbiefied and says weddingband when 1x-clicked.

(Thanks to "the Great Maker" for the above info!)

7. Do I get a count for making Trapped chests?

Nope, not anymore I sold hundreds of chests and never got a count.

8. Where can I find usefull tinker links?

http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/tinkering.php Tinker minimum skills for items.

http://uo.stratics.com/content/professions/tinker/tinker.shtml Tinker Essay

http://uo.stratics.com/content/guides/tinkertraps/trapessay.shtml Tinker Trap Essay

9. How do I make a potionkeg?

First make 3 barrel staves ( 5 wood each ) "Carpentry skill"
Then make 1 barrel lid ( 4 wood ) "Carpentry skill"
Then make a set of barrel hoops ( 5 ingots ) "Tinker skill"
Then use a carpenters tool to make a keg. ( can be found under the container option in the build menu )

Now you make another barrel lid ( 4 wood ) "Carpentry skill"
and a barrel tab ( 2 ingots ) "Tinker skill"
You also have to buy 10 empty bottles.

Now use a tinkers tool on the barrel lid, and choose to make a potion keg and press ok.

10. Does the strength of the potion matter for strength of the trap?

No, only the skill of the tinker matters (carpentry is not relevant for strength of lock and trap). Check the UO Stratics tinker links for more information and exact figures.

11. How to make a lockable chest, and how to trap it?

To make a lockable chest you need wood and the carpentry skill needed to make that chest. The lock will be made automatic depending on your tinkering skill so a Tinker with 40 carpentry could make GM locked chests if he has 100 tinkering.

To trap a chest you need a chest (doh!) 1 ingot and 1 bolt or 1 explosion potion or 1 poison potion. Depending ofcourse on the type of trap you want to make. Select a trap in the tinkering menu target your ingots and then target the chest you want trapped. (UO automatically checks if you have the proper components) (use the potions and bolts found on monsters as trap strength only depends on tinkerskill)

12. Can I put on more than 1 trap at a time?

Naye, you can't. You will get a message that the chest is already trapped.

13. How do I copy keys?

To copy a key, you need a blank key and the key you want to copy in your backpack. Double click the blank key, then target the key to be copied.

If you fail to copy the key successfully, there is a possibility that the blank key may be dsetroyed.

14. Are there any skill gain diaries out there?

Thanks to By-Tor, the answer to this question is "Yes". Here is a summary of By-Tor's daily skill gains:

<pre>Day Starting Skill Ending Skill Total Gain Items Made Ingots Used
--- -------------- ------------ ---------- ---------- -----------

1 48.0 65.2 +17.2 50 lockpicks -

2 65.2 76.5 +11.3 368 lockpicks 588 ingots

3 76.5 83.8 +7.3 609 lockpicks 715 ingots

4 83.8 87.4 +3.6 770 lockpicks 885 ingots

5 87.4 90.6 +3.2 lockpicks &amp; heating stands 2010 ingots

6 90.6 93.1 +2.5 heating stands only 2210 ingots

7 93.1 95.2 +2.1 heating stands only 2118 ingots

8 95.2 96.9 +1.7 heating stands only 2437 ingots

9 96.9 98.5 +1.6 heating stands only 2551 ingots

10 98.5 100.0 +1.5 heating stands only 2974 ingots</pre>
A few notes:
<ul>[*]Day #10 included 400 ingots and about 15 minutes of time not in power hour[*]16,088 total ingots used from 65.2 skill.[*]The original thread can be viewed here: My daily gains!![/list]

Status
Not open for further replies.