• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The most commonly used word in Valley of Eodon is...

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
next new skill in uo: climbing.

i'm just thankful there are spots where you can drop down the hill or climb up without having to run all the way around the ridge.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a good example of what not to do when designing a world. Not only is it ugly but there a lot of "yellow items" meaning they can be highlighted. Why not make them a true stagnant item?

Even with them being highlighted the design itself is very much laughable. there are 7 styles of plant used here about 100 times each... gross.

I know ATL pvpers that can design better than this.

eodon.PNG

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a good example of what not to do when designing a world. Not only is it ugly but there a lot of "yellow items" meaning they can be highlighted. Why not make them a true stagnant item?

Even with them being highlighted the design itself is very much laughable. there are 7 styles of plant used here about 100 times each... gross.

I know ATL pvpers that can design better than this.

View attachment 37810
I hate it , the amount of lag it causes is astronomical. What were they thinking? It doesn't even serve a purpose, and you fall in the thing and then can't get out unless you recall back to luna or somewhere or help out. Total waste of space.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The number of hilightable objects on the temple had quintupled since Thursday. At first it was only a few items around the base... the next it had crept up the sides. Now, its every bit of plant life there, as if they were growing.

Its a serious black hole of lag in the EC and is steadily getting worse...

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They're adding in items as part of the super secret server load testing. Determining exactly how much the servers can handle lets them focus better on removing critical hardware so as not to noticeably affect game play. We're all on a budget guys :lol:.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I don't understand why they made all the plants there dynamic objects instead of part of the world map file. If I go near that pyramid I just get lagged to death from the hundreds of loading vines and stuff.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is weird, I don't get that on my screen. I did get that kind of spotting when my last graphics card was about to die though.
it requires circle of trans and you to step in the right spot.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Well other than that one area Scribbles posted a picture of, with the billion of the same tree and the temple thing you fall through and get stuck, I didn't think Eodon was so bad. Way too much fixation on cliffs and clearly we're waiting for them to add to the content as time goes by, but eh.

My main question is why they'd add a ton of dinosaurs and then not make them tameable. Talk about a missed opportunity, and I don't even have a tamer.

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
99% of these items were reported during the testing, don't know why they never fixed them? .. my guess lack of time... I'm sure they will get around to it during future publishes. *rereads posting and notices I am talking to myself*

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My main question is why they'd add a ton of dinosaurs and then not make them tameable. Talk about a missed opportunity, and I don't even have a tamer.
This x100. The allosaurus would have been such a great looking pet. I would also like one of those nanner tossing monkies.

As for the world, it's fine I guess (cliff city is very random choice), it just looks SO unfinished/unpolished, and honestly beyond the turtle there is pretty much nothing to do there.

I feel like this is actually just ToL beta, and the beta was alpha. In a few months it may be what it should have been upon release. One hopes anyway. :/

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
99% of these items were reported during the testing, don't know why they never fixed them? .. my guess lack of time...
Am I the only one who would have been more than happy to wait for it to be finished/polished before release? Whats the rush?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Considering we all got it for free....I think people might be complaining about it a bit much.

@Uvtha The devs have said for months it would be available sometime in September, they released it September 30th. If they had waited a single day more the community would have yelled at them for not releasing it on time like every other time anything is late. Remember all the "new account management" and "new website" jokes people have been posting for months after those were late? That was probably the rush, they wanted to keep their promise that the release date would be in September

I appreciate them making an effort to release it on time like they said they would.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You can't please everyone and some of these people wouldn't be happy unless they could complain about something.

They already pointed out that it is still being developed, let alone that it was free.

But then again, I have better things to do than address childish entitlements.

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The lands are a mediocre job. The work done on the side, new features and enhancements that the expansion brings to the game, however, well done.

http://stratics.com/threads/valley-of-eodon.352605/

I think we all appreciate the effort Captn, and yeah it was probably rushed. However, this is mostly constructive criticism. As players we have the duty to express what we feel about the game. We have high quality expectations because UO has almost always met those expectations, it was, it is, and it should always be a great game. Not to mention we also pay and support this project; we are the customers.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This x100. The allosaurus would have been such a great looking pet. I would also like one of those nanner tossing monkies.

As for the world, it's fine I guess (cliff city is very random choice), it just looks SO unfinished/unpolished, and honestly beyond the turtle there is pretty much nothing to do there.

I feel like this is actually just ToL beta, and the beta was alpha. In a few months it may be what it should have been upon release. One hopes anyway. :/
Because for the last 3 or 4 years they have been able to pacify us Tamers with the promise of a Pet Revamp that never comes.... supposedly all this will be set right when they do this pet revamp...

*taps skeletal foot*

Still waiting.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
The number of hilightable objects on the temple had quintupled since Thursday. At first it was only a few items around the base... the next it had crept up the sides. Now, its every bit of plant life there, as if they were growing.

Its a serious black hole of lag in the EC and is steadily getting worse...
The first day I was able to pick bananas and coconuts from the trees.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The first day I was able to pick bananas and coconuts from the trees.
They fall all around the trees yes...

Sunday I went looking for stealables and found that now even the leaves and trees are highlighting which they didn't before so I don't know what's going on there.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Considering we all got it for free....I think people might be complaining about it a bit much.

@Uvtha The devs have said for months it would be available sometime in September, they released it September 30th. If they had waited a single day more the community would have yelled at them for not releasing it on time like every other time anything is late. Remember all the "new account management" and "new website" jokes people have been posting for months after those were late? That was probably the rush, they wanted to keep their promise that the release date would be in September

I appreciate them making an effort to release it on time like they said they would.
I agree with parts of this... However, I must point out that the UO leadership pretty much derailed the expectation train all by themselves.

You can't really blame the players for getting upset and making jokes when we're told May for the new website, but it doesn't actually materialize until September 9th. Changing delivery dates would be far more forgivable when there is frequent proper, prompt and meaningful communication. Silence and avoiding the topic isn't a tactic that makes customers spending money feel particularly magnanimous.

I think players were far more forgiving with ToL's date moving out a little because they could see progress, and Kyronix was actively on TC1 soliciting comments. I can attest to the fact that he was good about taking criticism and suggestions.

But, to be fair, we have to acknowledge the greater communication fails as a pattern. We still don't have an easy to use, logical, customer-friendly account management site. We still have to go through Origin for item/code purchases, as the "in game" method was either back burnered, or dropped completely. Then there's the monthly newsletter, which, well...isn't. We haven't seen one since July 30th. And of course, there's Steam...let's just not go there.

All of the angst over things being delayed, tweaked or reprioritized could be dealt with by better communication.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I do believe the gods are still working on the new land. At least is what I read in from their official site....

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well other than that one area Scribbles posted a picture of, with the billion of the same tree and the temple thing you fall through and get stuck, I didn't think Eodon was so bad. Way too much fixation on cliffs and clearly we're waiting for them to add to the content as time goes by, but eh.

it is only good if you are a mage or stealth ninjer, but you can teleport out of that temple by targeting the steps. i have done it a few times just exploring. this was on Siege by the way.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Of course, but they didn't have to give a timeframe like that, they could have said fall.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Spending most of my time on Legends these days I search the work Legends a lot look for shard specific rares and such. Well that search is outta control now. lol

Robtsan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran

Free does not "ok we should be thankful for what ever is laid down at our feet." What you usually get for nothing.is nothing. If you are not going to invest the time and resources doing a better job....don't do it....

Robtsan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
You can't please everyone and some of these people wouldn't be happy unless they could complain about something.

They already pointed out that it is still being developed, let alone that it was free.

Childers entitlements??

I pay and have payed to play this game every month for years. I don't consider it childish to voice my concern about the devs putting put a poorly planned poorly designed mod. I just glad I Bob not have to pay extra for this version of dinotopia. If it can't be done properly , they should take a look at other engines and learn..

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Free does not "ok we should be thankful for what ever is laid down at our feet." What you usually get for nothing.is nothing....
Awww, I wouldn't call it "nothing."

*pauses to croon a sweet soft lullabye to a Dragon Turtle egg*

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Childers entitlements??

I pay and have payed to play this game every month for years. I don't consider it childish to voice my concern about the devs putting put a poorly planned poorly designed mod. I just glad I Bob not have to pay extra for this version of dinotopia. If it can't be done properly , they should take a look at other engines and learn..

Me too. Set aside how much we've paid, this doesn't give the entitlement that we should get whatever we want and kick our feet when we don't get it. Let alone being way outside of being constructive feedback.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
eodon has been getting a bad rap (for good reason) however lets not forget the current maps are also awfully designed in some places.
Examples:
Hythloth dungeon etrance, you walk in, you immediately walk out.
Buccaneer's den, the only moongate without a guardzone and has a bank etc, ideal for pvp, 2 server lines in it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
eodon has been getting a bad rap (for good reason) however lets not forget the current maps are also awfully designed in some places.
Examples:
Hythloth dungeon etrance, you walk in, you immediately walk out.
Buccaneer's den, the only moongate without a guardzone and has a bank etc, ideal for pvp, 2 server lines in it.
OH I've always thought Buc's island needed to be moved to where it doesn't have all the Criss Cross of stinking Server Lines.

Robtsan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Me too. Set aside how much we've paid, this doesn't give the entitlement that we should get whatever we want and kick our feet when we don't get it. Let alone being way outside of being constructive feedback.
It is not a matter of entitlement. It is a matter of competent design, vision and getting what you pay for. Is positive "yes man" feedback, to be expected, when it is not deserved? My constructive feedback is simple. Don't push a bad job out to your customers...take time to do it right. If the the devs cannot see the substandard mod they put out..well there is no helping them, no amount of "constructive feedback will help. "No deal is better than a bad deal."

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It is not a matter of entitlement. It is a matter of competent design, vision and getting what you pay for. Is positive "yes man" feedback, to be expected, when it is not deserved? My constructive feedback is simple. Don't push a bad job out to your customers...take time to do it right. If the the devs cannot see the substandard mod they put out..well there is no helping them, no amount of "constructive feedback will help. "No deal is better than a bad deal."

Again it was free, the comment was a general one etc etc you're beating a dead horse.

So feel free to bash away and whatever else it is you want to do.

I'm iff to take the kids swimming. Peace.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well they have never cared that a robe on a gargoyle looks like a gunny sack... Burlap bag... hideous. So what do they do ..... come out with a dress that looks just like it only has really poorly pasted on flowers on it...