• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Mercury Theatre on the Air...

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hello all - I don't normally spend much time in this particular forum, but this seems to be the most appropriate place to post this link.

When I was in college I had a professor named Tom Olson. He was head of the Radio and Television department at Kent State University for many years. Tom really loved to talk about the old radio dramas of the 30s and 40s. He had many of them on reel-to-reel and he would share them with his students. For him it was a way to remember and talk about where the industry had come from, but more importantly I think it reminded him of his childhood and a simpler time. “Doctor O” or “T.O.” as many called him, passed away in 2002 and not long after I came across this site (The Mercury Theater on the Air) that has a number of the old radio dramas available for download. They are all in the public domain and therefore free to host, download and listen to. The site includes the famous/infamous War of the Worlds broadcast as well as many others. I have put a number of these on CD to listen to in the car while I commute to and from work and highly recommend them if you are so inclined.

I post this link at this time of year because it also includes two excellent versions of "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens. This is one of my all-time favorite Christmas stories and I thought that some of you just might feel the same. The two A Christmas Carol shows were the inspiration for the classic black and white movie version. In fact one version features Lionel Barrymore as Scrooge. Barrymore may be best known for the role of Mr. Potter in It’s a Wonderful Life and was Drew Barrymore’s great-uncle.

I thought some of you might have fun with your family and friends with these over the next weeks and months (possibly years).

Enjoy & Happy Holidays!

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great find Schuyler! I love these old radio programs. My grandparents had their own recordings of these on cassette they would play for us kids. Then between high school and college I took 6 years of broadcast communications, where old radio was part of the study. Nowadays there are a couple of local (Los Angeles) AM radio stations that play the old radio programs in the middle of the night.

On the net, Whispering Rose Radio streams their Old Time Radio everyday 24/7.

P

phonesystems

Today rarely we get to hear anything about old radio programs...My grandparents like specially to listen the 40's...