• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Lake Superior Mage Tower

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the few remaining Towers is on LS, me and one other person are all that remains that was part of its founding.

I still am in contact with the Towers owner, he is no longer plays but is willing to do what he must to restore the tower.

I know the one on Baja was relocated to tram so they can hold events there (face it, 99% of people would not go to a fel tower anymore).

So a few things, I would like to know if we can get the tower restored (redecro it, it's missing A LOT that other towers have/had). Or even willing to entertain the idea of having it moved so we can try and bring it back to its once glory.

Is any of this a possibility? Or will the tower be damned to just be my personal storage place on the water?

thanks!
-Derium

EM Autolycus

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would love to see the mage tower be used for events, again. It is just hard to hold events in houses, in Felucca, these days. A couple stealthing necros can be a real pain in the rear.

A restoration project on the tower would be great, though.

Casca_The_Immortal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would love to see the mage tower be used for events, again. It is just hard to hold events in houses, in Felucca, these days. A couple stealthing necros can be a real pain in the rear.

I would like to see rivendell get a revamp and a refresh. We have a whole player community with a very nice dueling pit that was all GM created. It would be great to start using that for player events and it can be controlled through the house (as the teleporters in the house are the only way into the dueling pit and you can't attack from outside of it).

The town has expanded considerably as well and it would be nice to get the deco extended to accommodate it as well.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I did noticed something strange at the place, if you're flagged a criminal you can't enter it anymore, yet you're still allowed to attack people inside. No idea when that was put into place, and either does the owner haha.

I'm not sure why the Tower on Baja was moved, but as I said we are willing to entertain that idea. We are lucky to still have our tower standing even, It's a shame to go from almost 30,000 visits to empty =(

anyways, thanks for the reply! I've been waiting over a year now to get the Devs or EAs attention about this, I've been itching to do my best and restore it to it's former glory.

-Derium

p.s. If you ever want a guided tour of the place let me know!

Mesanna

UO Producer | Dark OverLady
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Guys,

I read this and I have a few questions? IF the tower is moved to Tram and say a dock, stables, decoration etc was done to encourage people to use it as a community area would this actually be something the shard wanted? The other issue here is the tower in Fel is owned by a player and it would have to be dropped. I would not be allowed to turn the tower over but the people behind this can be co owners so you can add your personal touches for decoration.

Again this is not something I am willing to do if the whole shard is not behind it. Please let me know how you guys feel and we will go from there.

Mesanna

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just my thoughts on a few things:

If the mage tower is moved to Trammel, please start entertaining a storyline now for it instead of a stealth move and one day it's not in Fel anymore. Much can be done with mages in your story *winks*

That said, restoring the Mage tower gets a huge thumbs up from me. I wouldn't entertain a shard forum poll on it though as some may have zero idea of the history and whine about player houses being moved. Go with the community in game, anyone willing to venture to the Mage tower and cast a vote in a ballot box showing they care is my recommendation. We can do a [News] write up for you to explain the cause.

As for Rivendel, oh my gosh the few times I ventured there for fight nights in the mage pit and the complete respect players had for each other and the rules that night still leave an impression on me. The bigger impression was after the mage pit was closed the all out free for all pvp was almost as fun! Rivendel needs to stay put, even in it's altered state with blessed houses held captive by players who are no longer active.

Let me know if we can be of assistance at community meetings ect to get the word out on the Mage tower.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mesanna... I kneel in the long shadow of your Excellence.

I must first say that I agree with AirmidCecht on a few points. Most people no longer know what the Mage Towers are/were, and I too am afraid it will be looked at in a negative light.

As for the Tower owner, he is gone for a few days, but I will of course talk to him about all of this. He no longer plays UO, but does want to see the tower restored. Man, when/if the time comes to drop the mage tower in fel, can we maybe have a small gathering to wish the tower luck in the next life? because it's going to be hard to see it go after 12 years!

Sorry for rambling, my mind is just racing. I also like the idea that the new tower will not be in a players name. That's the reason most towers are now gone... due to the actions of the owner.

and as far as what the Shard wants, we will have to see. IMHO we have to make the tower look,feel and BE a community thing. Everyone likes points of pride on their server to brag about to other people on different servers. So the more the Tower feels like it belongs to all of LS, the better received the whole thing will be.

-Derium

Casca_The_Immortal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mesanna... I kneel in the long shadow of your Excellence.

I must first say that I agree with AirmidCecht on a few points. Most people no longer know what the Mage Towers are/were, and I too am afraid it will be looked at in a negative light.

As for the Tower owner, he is gone for a few days, but I will of course talk to him about all of this. He no longer plays UO, but does want to see the tower restored. Man, when/if the time comes to drop the mage tower in fel, can we maybe have a small gathering to wish the tower luck in the next life? because it's going to be hard to see it go after 12 years!

Sorry for rambling, my mind is just racing. I also like the idea that the new tower will not be in a players name. That's the reason most towers are now gone... due to the actions of the owner.

and as far as what the Shard wants, we will have to see. IMHO we have to make the tower look,feel and BE a community thing. Everyone likes points of pride on their server to brag about to other people on different servers. So the more the Tower feels like it belongs to all of LS, the better received the whole thing will be.

-Derium
I'm sorry but this is a travesty. Fel has few things as it is, and the mage tower is one of them. Moving it to tram is a subversion of all that is good and holy. This falls into the "Leave things the way it is and create new ones that achieve your specific goal" thing.

First a) Why should any private owner get pref treatment? I say they should if they pay for it. I think one of the services that EA/Mythic needs to implement is that of real estate. Set aside a team (small at first) that responds to customization requests. Allow players to make a spec (or better yet create a tool so they can set it up the way they want, including outside of their house) and then give us a price in US Cash that we can pay along with a customization code that is associated with the design (think saving plot designs on houses). We go to the uogamecodes site, click customize location and then enter the number we got in game. Then pay.

I for one would pay 500 - $1000 to do this. I am sure there are many players that would do it. I've been playing for 13 years, a few grand on something I enjoy playing is not out of the question, I've already spent that much on real LT sash's, castles, rares, etc...

b) Why is it that we have to trammify everything?

c) If you are going to build a version in Tram (of his mage tower) and boot him from being an owner, then why does he have to drop his fel house at all? He should sell it to someone like me if he isn't interested in keeping it. I'd love a special house (as I indicated in letter a). I feel cheated because I can't have one at any price. That sucks.

d) Duels in Rivendell are great, and if there is fighting outside it's not relevant because the house that controls the pit can be made private and access controlled. Rivendel is _not_ inactive, the only house that has an owner that is inactive is the dueling pit. The rest are owned by Weedling who plays everyday in fel and tram. I see him on several of his characters all the time.

e) Rivendel has expanded considerably, there are loads of towers, a castle and 18x18s/keeps in that area that are newly placed and active. All who consider themselves denizens of Rivendel and use the arena, the stable and other areas regularly.

and finally....

Here you are talking about giving this guy the opportunity of trammifying his mage tower (ONE GUY that doesn't even play and has to have his friend post for him) and you turn down a request for a refresh on an ENTIRE COMMUNITY that represents about 50 players that are active in game and paying for their play.

This represents everything (in a nutshell) that is wrong with UO. You cater to tram and not fel. That sucks. It makes everyone in fel want to just leave we are always ignored. I feel like you just said:

"Lol poor little fel killer, please refrain from asking for some fresh material, it should be enough that we allow you to roam the facet with a foaming mouth killing whomever you run across, we will do nothing for you because we are busy catering to some guy that doesn't play so we can move his landmark fel killer house to tram as he has decided to come to the light and allow the tamers and the people that wear the completely useless sorceror's suit as their main suit to enjoy the splendor of pretty shiny sparkles and a dock of a magic tower on the water"

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It may seem a travesty to have something specific from Fel transferred but when was the last time you visited the mage tower? It's been ages for me, and not due to its location being in Fel, more due to it not serving a purpose.

What would you suggest is a good purpose? Say the owner turned it over to UO, what improvements could be made? A training area for mages? A quest area for Fel players only? I think it could be intriguing to offer something to players if kept in Fel.

As far as activity in Rivendel goes, I never meant to imply it was a barren land, but it too has lost much of it's purpose in my opinion. Perhaps Weedling could offer suggestions to the EMs on LS for Rivendel as well.

I will always support the community of Felucca, even if I don't reside there. I don't see moving the Mage Tower as trying to trammify anything. I see a player wanting the tower to have purpose again. It is certainly a discussion worth exploring.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm going to make a much longer post in a moment. I just wanted to ask an tough question.

When the Mage Tower was placed, one of the GM created items is a book that says: "Welcome Ot The Mage Tower". That book has been the center piece of the Tower for 12 years now. If/when we take the tower down, is there ANY way I can either get that book, or have it relocated with the Tower?

C

Crystal Rose

This is a tough one...IMO if it will benefit the community with more ingame activities I think it should be moved to an area where it can be used comfortably.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember the days where we held events at the Tower, and I can't recall the last time it's happened.

I feel that if moved to Tram we can once again hold events there for all to enjoy. We must face it, the game has changed. I do love Fel, make no mistakes! But over the years the players have spoken... Tram is where they want to be. To me the Mage Tower has always been a piece of UO history and a place where it could be enjoyed by many. I only see that happening again if moved to Tram.

With honor The gods placed the tower for us, with Honor I'd love to see the Gods do that once again!

Zerbee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been secretly lurkering this thread, so now I feel like replying.
I think it should to Tram, more people are willing to come to Tram then to Fel. That way rude people can't come in and interrupt events!

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think this is a great idea. The sad truth about UO is that the vast majority of the population hangs out in Tram with no intention of going to fel, ever. So, I think moving the mage tower to tram will breathe new life into one of the shard's hidden gems.

I also agree that if moved to Tram, events should be held there (holding events at a fel tower is pointless unless the players have a great reward to outweigh the risk of griefers and gankers).

I should also point out that if left it fel, it will continue to be ignored, until completely forgotten, except by the old-timers. Holding EM events, and maybe a quest or two involving the tower would get people interested again.

My vote is for the move.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would it have to be moved? Wouldn't simply making an exact copy be sufficient (especially considering the current storyline revolves around an item that could make such a thing possible)?

I know it would mean the original would get less visitation than ever, but it would remove any melancholy over having it taken down after so long. Maybe add a house teleporter between the two, even?

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would it have to be moved? Wouldn't simply making an exact copy be sufficient (especially considering the current storyline revolves around an item that could make such a thing possible)?

I know it would mean the original would get less visitation than ever, but it would remove any melancholy over having it taken down after so long. Maybe add a house teleporter between the two, even?

I love the teleporter idea actually. Would give us the option to hold PvP tournies at the old place time to time.

Of course this is up to the Devs.

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
making a replica of it in tram is a neat idea, but making the owner drop his fel version would be just wrong and would destroy the history of the place...make a replica sure! but leave the original alone in my opinion!

Casca_The_Immortal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It may seem a travesty to have something specific from Fel transferred but when was the last time you visited the mage tower? It's been ages for me, and not due to its location being in Fel, more due to it not serving a purpose.

What would you suggest is a good purpose? Say the owner turned it over to UO, what improvements could be made? A training area for mages? A quest area for Fel players only? I think it could be intriguing to offer something to players if kept in Fel.

As far as activity in Rivendel goes, I never meant to imply it was a barren land, but it too has lost much of it's purpose in my opinion. Perhaps Weedling could offer suggestions to the EMs on LS for Rivendel as well.

I will always support the community of Felucca, even if I don't reside there. I don't see moving the Mage Tower as trying to trammify anything. I see a player wanting the tower to have purpose again. It is certainly a discussion worth exploring.
I visited the mage tower and took a good portion of my guild there not more than a week ago.

Casca_The_Immortal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think this is a great idea. The sad truth about UO is that the vast majority of the population hangs out in Tram with no intention of going to fel, ever. So, I think moving the mage tower to tram will breathe new life into one of the shard's hidden gems.

I also agree that if moved to Tram, events should be held there (holding events at a fel tower is pointless unless the players have a great reward to outweigh the risk of griefers and gankers).

I should also point out that if left it fel, it will continue to be ignored, until completely forgotten, except by the old-timers. Holding EM events, and maybe a quest or two involving the tower would get people interested again.

My vote is for the move.
First of all you don't get a vote because you aren't part of the global community of people that exist in all the facets every day. You probably didn't know about the mage tower, and so it represents no loss to you at all. You opinion while it is valued to some degree should not bare much weight because you are like a pilgrim stealing land from the Indians. To you, it seems like a small and trivial thing but to those of us that have spent 13 years actively in game and helped make it what it is (and isn't) today, it is a major loss and change of UO history.

I'm for encouraging activity on any facet for sure. What I am not for doing is re-writing what has been written.

I think there should be a compromise here. I think what needs to be done is something new that INVOLVES exposing tram-a-lites to fel in a way that is productive and helps them be better players and have fun exploring more aspects of the game.

Secretly many people in tram wish they were good at the game as it relates to PvP. I have had this conversation with many of my friends and it all boils down to a controlled environment where they can try things on for size.

What I suggest is this and I think it's a good compromise that will address all the issues at hand and help build some new history while maintaining to a large degree the old.

Suggestion:

Move the Mage tower to tram. Put a teleport sparkle in the middle that goes to Rivendel.

Make all areas in Rivendel Guard Zone except the dueling arena. Move the teleporters that go to the arena that are in the house that is inactive to a public area or an area that is controlled by weedling since she owns like 4 houses over there in town and is active for 10 - 12 hours DAILY. This way to some degree things can maintain control if there were to be an event (the house could be made private and people accessed to the dueling area in small groups that are appropriate).

I've discussed this with my friends in Rivendel and we are willing to help people learn to fight and setup their suits. We are willing to have pvp classes and training there. I think we should bill Rivendel as the fel training ground and make the Mage Tower the portal to that. With a few changes like a Guard zone a bank and a few npcs that can train some skills we can accomplish this and we can hold classes regularly using the community announcement boards here on stratics and interfacing with the EMs here on Lake Superior.

I know this represents a significant investment in time for the GMs, but we are offering a greater investment in time over the long term in an effort to drive activity into fel and into the game. I think it's a fair compromise and one that needs to be considered.

What say you Mage Tower?

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My suggestion Casca is we start a separate thread on Rivendel with your ideas which are actually really good ones to promote a Fel area that would be great for pvp training. I used to go to Wrong just to watch the duels. I'd love to get some in game pics of some activity outside champ areas.

Start a thread on it and introduce the sparkly teleporter to Rivendel idea as well. I'm really diggin on the idea that the Mage Tower could play a part to get those visiting in Tram to take a look at a great area in Fel that is somewhat protected and at the same time educates players. Since many may have their own feelings on Rivendel though, it would be best to have a separate thread on it so as not to take discussion here off track.

PM me and I'll get the discussion thread link out there :)

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
back on topic.

While I do like the idea of having two towers, I feel that honestly might be a bit too much at the same time. Because then there would be a private owner, AND a second Mage tower. I do not wish to overstep my bounds on what to ask for.

House teleporters is a great idea overall too. I could link to ALL player ran towns (if possible). Not in an attempt to make the Tower a Central Hub, but to help promote community as a whole.

So that idea is good IMHO :thumbup1:

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mage Towers should be magical, lets fancy all the ways we could magically promote some great LS activities *grins*

Casca_The_Immortal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My suggestion Casca is we start a separate thread on Rivendel with your ideas which are actually really good ones to promote a Fel area that would be great for pvp training. I used to go to Wrong just to watch the duels. I'd love to get some in game pics of some activity outside champ areas.

Start a thread on it and introduce the sparkly teleporter to Rivendel idea as well. I'm really diggin on the idea that the Mage Tower could play a part to get those visiting in Tram to take a look at a great area in Fel that is somewhat protected and at the same time educates players. Since many may have their own feelings on Rivendel though, it would be best to have a separate thread on it so as not to take discussion here off track.

PM me and I'll get the discussion thread link out there :)
While I appreciate your suggestion and your implication that the thread is being hijacked I don't agree. That is not my intention it is to let people know this is absolutely unacceptable to me and fair number of others (which i will let know and they will start posting their support of NO MAGE TOWER should leave fel.)

This is a historical landmark and you people are acting like this guy should be allowed to be non-active and come here and change a significant part of UO History.

This isn't the way it is. This tower was granted to them with the premise that it be used in fel for various activities and whatever. He is in breech of that agreement as far as I'm concerned because he and his guild haven't done their job and lived up to their agreement of being active.

I am only offering up this solution to try and come to some type of compromise. This guy PMs me with insult, gets a msg back he doesn't like and then posts I slander him? I'm sorry but that is just not the case.

You can't move the mage tower in fel it's a part of the history here and if you aren't willing to work with the FEL community to solve this than you are doing a dis-service to your players EA/MYTHIC and this wouldn't be the first time this has happened as I indicated before.

That said, I'm going to get the people in fel that are active and have them post their opinions because their opinion should be what is considered here. We are the people who are losing a part of history and if you are going to change our environment you better well get our permission or we might just start leaving. Say fine if you want but enough is enough and you people can't afford to lose any more players.

If you are going to take something away there better be something to replace it.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When talking of doing something for Rivendel then yes, please start a new thread so it can get the attention it deserves.

As far as community feedback, that is exactly what this thread is discussing *grins*

The rest I would think should happen in game and again suggest a ballot box set up at the Mage Tower for proper support.

Casca_The_Immortal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've entertained your trolling enough.

Did I not tell you I'm willing to work with you? yet you keep going on and on threatening me in PMs?

So I called you out, you said you want to work together, well I offered you that already. Last chance in my mind.

*EDIT*

if you have so many contacts in EA, why did you have to Troll my thread trying to get noticed? (as you stated in PMs)

So again, please come to the mage tower now and talk to us. But we will not tolerate and more bullying tactics by you.

I'm done replying to you here. Sorry everyone you had to deal with this.

Wow you are a bit odd. Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and get those folks I mentioned to sign up to stratics and start posting their opinion. If this happens we will make a vow to quit the game. So far we have about 200 people representing about 800 accounts. We will not lose one more thing in fel without getting something back that is of equal or greater value.

You people shouldn't even have a special tower you are inactive and it should have been stripped from you and given to someone that would use it to build community. If your little project is worth 125,000 USD a year to EA then they should do it.

I could careless about Rivendell being revamped, if you folks don't want it fine. I was offering it as a way to seek a compromise. Instead I get accused of hijacking the thread because for some reason people think that I should just "Want" to donate a considerable amount of time and resource to my "special" game project for no other reason than accolade. Unlike the gentlemen who is obviously in need of some bi-polar medication I could do other things...

If this happens I'll write a 3 page layout about preferential treatment and why this game has gone down hill. That's a promise from me to you from Random Publishing. Have a nice day.

M

MaddMykal

OK Enough of this rivendell impersoation

Im the co owner of the MAge Tower and have been an avid supporter of rivendell for 12+ years. I remember when rivendell was like 3 small houses and nothing more.

For starters the Mage Tower WAS earned not given to us. The tower deed was bought and paid for . UO will never TAKE it from us.

We are trying to reinvigorate it for the community - not just Rivendell gankers that get off res killing ungeared players.

I too have many friends here.

Do you remember UTB?
or CAT on seige?

WE've defended TMT in the past and will do so again if necessary.

We gont want t move the tower but jerks like your gank squad that messed with twig last night make it hard. Thats just the kind of behavior that will make me change my mind and request a move.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
okay, now that Madd and a rep from Riv spoke and hammered out a few things. I'd like to kick around some ideas.

As said I'd like a teleporter put in the Tower to Riv, so when we host PvP events we can easily get to Riv for it. Also I'd like to add in more player ran towns/PvP vendor spots.

So IF the tower stays in Fel, what other ideas do people have for it?

EM Autolycus

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It can be tough policing Fel house events, these days. It can often be nearly impossible to know who attacked whom in the midst of spectators. Even when you ban the troublemakers, the only way to stop them from "griefing" the outside is to kill them. If you think a proper event team can be put together to police the tower, excellent. It's a valuable piece of Fel history and it'd be a shame to lose it.

So IF the tower stays in Fel, what other ideas do people have for it?
A siege or even a one-sided capture the flag type event with restrictions on e-fields could be great fun. :)

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm one of the people who can't see their PMs right now, so I'm not sure if Mesanna got back to me again or not to talk about the tower =(

But I do really like the siege/capture the flag idea. I'm not sure how many people it would take to pull off but you could have people defend the tower, while people try and make their way to the top. Have some item up there they need to take in order to consider the siege a success. Certain rules would need to be applied of course.

One idea I want to do is naked fighting, a PvP tourny where mages must use normal spellbooks, dexxters must use GM weaps and that's it. Just to relive the olden days of fighting we did at the tower.

However, other than PvP events for people that are willing to deal with griefers (always are those people at fel gatherings) I am out of ideas.

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just saw this and thought i would post, i havent read all the posts yet due to i am going to be running late for work just posting this msg....

I am Ceno from the Baja Shard and I was once a member of the Baja Mage Tower. I joined back around 2000 to 2001. Although I am no longer "in" MT on the Baja shard, I still consider myself a member due to the fact that anyone can be a member of MT and not be on the "stone"

While reading the first few posts I just wanted to point out that the Baja Mage Tower was NOT moved to tram. it still sits in fel moonglow. I currently hold the Mage Tower Boat House which sits next to it on its own mini dock and will be glad to show anyone around both the Boat House and Mage Tower.

Few years ago when the first EM project was around they did place a tower in tram and named it "The Mage Tower" because that EM thought the tower had fallen. I happened to be shown that said tower while the EM was there and informed them that the Mage Tower was in fact still standing. He then changed the name to "The Meer Tower" and it was soon changed again to what it is now "The Partison Tower" (dont quote me on the spelling)

After a few more years the "Keeper" (GM) of the Baja Mage Tower guild did place an outpost in tram because he understood that players dont much like fel but sadly in doing so, most members never even saw the actual Tower itself. So yes Baja does have a keep in tram that is the "guild house" but the Tower itself still stands strong in felucca moonglow.

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If i may put in my two cents...
I think EVERYONE has great ideas and i do not see a reason as to why anyone should be getting upset.

Mage Towers were bought and placed by players for players. the reason why ANY building inside of UO on any shard that was "blessed" (things placed by Seers) was due to the active community that was displayed (stuff like creating RP and making player ran events for the whole shard)

The Mage Tower was probably one of the biggest successes to this because MT was a project. They wanted to place a Tower on all shards and then link them. Back when the shards would crash almost on a nightly basis you would find members from another MT visiting a shard that was still up and going to that shards MT to hang out and share stories. I happened to witness just that and I am only one of very few people who can even claim that they have visited almost every Mage Tower. I say almost because some had fallen before I was able to see them.

I personally would hate to see the Tower moved because that is where all the memories are. Most people can look at the Mage Towers now and not see much thats note worthy...but when you step back and remember what was only available to the normal player 13 years ago these Towers are simply amazing.

These Towers were like a portal, a gate way to other MTs...And so I think that the Tower should remain in fel and that a new Tower be placed in the same location in tram as a "gateway" to each facet. As if the two Towers are linking the two facets. This way you can hold tram and fel events and still be able to keep the history alive. Every old building like MT has a shadow footprint of what has gone there, what was...and what is. Moving it would just take a piece away from the history.

To this day I still visit LS MT as well as Sonoma and Pacific

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with you on not wanting to remove the one in Fel, however, the Gods have stated this is not possible for us. The choice must be made one way or the other. Now, do we 'protect' the memories we have of the place? Or do we 'protect' the community by moving to Tram? We already know the place will stay dead if it stays where it's at.

Tough choice for anyone to make.

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wow for some strange reason I did not even know this mage tower existed.

I think tearing it down would definitely be the wrong thing to do.

if people want to enjoy this "museum" or utilize it in the future there's nothing stopping them. just bank or insure valuables before visiting Fel.

Trammel has many many many features that Felucca does not have. I see no problem Felucca having features that Trammel does not have.

the Teleporter idea is fantastic. I noticed a house in Luna today with 8 teleporters on it, I'm not sure where they go but it got me thinking it would be great to have a house in Luna with teleporters to various historic sites in the original LS lands (felucca)

does anyone remember the player run Elf town near Justice shrine? I believe it was on both Tram and Felucca sides but sadly I think it is mostly all gone now. we really do need to preserve Rivendell and this Mage Tower as they are and try to restore previous features and hold events at these locations.

it says right on the mage tower that there will be no fighting stealing or looting, well I think it would be easy for an EM to pop someone to UO jail or squelch anyone who is spamming until the end of any event if they decide to break the rules of the house.

for those who absolutely refuse to leave Trammel, well there is tons of content in Trammel for you that is not available in Felucca. soo.. not a big deal.

Mickou

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I happened upon this thread while looking for picture of Silk's Tavern from back in the day. I started in UO in the fall of 1999, shortly before trammel was introduced. As such I experienced the original Felucca and although I moved to Tram when it was created I always kind of the longed for the community that UO had in those early years. An era when you needed to rely on others. I love the history the blessed houses represent, be it the Mage Tower, Silk's tavern or Rivendell, or even Red Dragon City. I think you could do a nice job of introducing some folks to Felucca by boosting the activity around the MT and linking it to other historic sights.

A nice compromise to me seems to be to leave the tower in fel but extend the guardzone from Encyclopedia Magicka north to include the tower and some surrounding water. Maybe even put in a proper dock, stable and bank. Keeping the tower in fel maintains the history, putting some sparkle teleporter to other blessed areas in Fel would encourage some felucca travel. To give people easy access to the tower from Tram put a teleporter on the trammel facet on the tip of moonglow that leads to the tower. If you put up some signs that warn people what is on the other side of the sparkle they should be more likely to take a chance and jump through.

Just a few thoughts... I'm sure there are more clever people than I out there that can make the idea better.