• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Gumshoe Quest

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I spent over an hour last night using detect hidden on bookshelves and still didn't find the codex. Is there a trick to this? Is it bugged or broken? Several people in my guild told me it took them a very long time to find it. Anyone have tips for this part of the quest?

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good morning SouthPaw, The Key is to run along side each book case until you see a emote along the lines of *You detect a book case has recently Been Disturbed* when ya see that the case right next to you has a chance to proc the Emote* You have located The Cipher return to the NPC* sometimes the book moves locations a time or 2-3 before it procs the quest..so do it a few times a step back and forth to see if the emote that its still there is there.. then keep at it.. and it will proc.. if the emotes poofs then ya have to search all the cases again until ya run passed one and see the emote again... Don't lose heart.. ya will get it done.. Hope this helps =^-^=

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fyi. Gargoyles can't find it unless they buy detect from an npc.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Fyi. Gargoyles can't find it unless they buy detect from an npc.
That's screwed up.

Fortunately my character is an elf. I've thought about getting some jewelry with +detect hidden on it to see if that helps at all. Would be nice if I could use my Tsuki Wolf that has 90 detect hidden skill.

Barrelz

Visitor
Good morning SouthPaw, The Key is to run along side each book case until you see a emote along the lines of *You detect a book case has recently Been Disturbed* when ya see that the case right next to you has a chance to proc the Emote* You have located The Cipher return to the NPC* sometimes the book moves locations a time or 2-3 before it procs the quest..so do it a few times a step back and forth to see if the emote that its still there is there.. then keep at it.. and it will proc.. if the emotes poofs then ya have to search all the cases again until ya run passed one and see the emote again... Don't lose heart.. ya will get it done.. Hope this helps =^-^=
When we see the quote “your keen senses...” do we use the detect hidden skill on the book shelf or do we just need to walk back and forth until we find it? I’ve been trying both ways for the last 2 days and still haven’t found it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks you.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
*EDIT*

I know this part of the quest is a pain. Here's what worked for me:

1. Walk around until you get the message about your "keen senses".
2. When you see the message immediately stop walking.
3. Use detect hidden on the nearest bookcase.
4. If you find the codex you're done with this part, if you don't find the codex start over at 1.

Took me around 5 tries using this method. Best of luck to anyone reading this!

Last edited:

Barrelz

Visitor
I know this part of the quest is a pain. Seems what works best is only use detect hidden 1 time after you see the message about "keen senses" and if you don't find the codex, walk around until you get the message again and then use detect hidden on the closest shelf to where you received the message. Repeat until you find it. When I did it this way, it took me about 5 tries. To clarify, you have to use detect hidden, walking around alone will not reveal the codex.
Thank you SouthPaw.