• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

S

Spogfrawn

I just tried the open beta of UOSA and I wanted to post my opinions on it in the hope the developers might change a few things. I want to start by saying that I’ve been a UO player right from the very beginning and my account has been open for all 11 (and a bit) years since then. I’ve tried all the many versions of UO that came along now and then. Did you know UO was the first PC game to use 16 bit colour? That’s how old UO is! I remember that animation of a wooden box that opened when you started the game then you made your character. Isn’t it funny how the old 2D client has outlived them all?
Anyway, here are my opinions on UOSA.

The Good

1) Macros. Once you turn on the KR functionality you get access to lots of very useful and time saving macros easily placed and bound to keys on those great hotbars.

2) The map and atlas features are a joy. The atlas works now and you can place waypoints to your heart’s content.

3) Zooming out is awesome.

The Bad

1) Tiny icons. Why are the icons (especially items) on the hotbars so small?

2) Backpack and container changes. I can see the advantages of having nice squares in your containers to place items in. But I really like it the old way so I can place items where I want. You can turn this option on, but the graphics are awful and it doesn’t really work properly.

The Ugly

1) Legacy graphics. Don’t get me wrong, I like the old client. It has served us well over the years and still looks sharp and detailed. But the new zoom feature massacres it! The zoom was designed for the new KR graphics and the legacy art gets misshapen, pixelised and blurred, depending on your zoom level. This is the part of UO you look at the most and I find it depressing to see how bad it is. Why did you remove the KR graphics? The zoom worked perfectly with that and it was one of the best things to happen to UO in a long time...

2) Avatars. If you’re going to go back to legacy art, it seems to me that it’s the avatars that should be back as they were, not the buildings and items. The new avatars are wooden, they have strange poses and their hands are way too big. The new faces look like masks and most of the cloth clothes look woolly and drab. We’ve all been getting those great new Tokuno dyes haven’t we? Well they don’t look the same either. Some of the new armour is good, but they don’t even come close to the quality of the old avatars. Even the animations make them look as though they are made of rubber.

3) Interface. Has anybody played Anno 1404? I’m not expecting UO to have amazing 3D graphics like that game (though that would be nice). But look at the 2D menu system on that game – It’s amazing! Lovely bright gems, gorgeous detailed leather windows that look like open books. Elegant embossed leather with stitches that look like real cotton. Why can’t we have a gorgeous menu system like this for UO? What do UOSA hotbars look like? A bright orange line around the edge – great.

4) Consistency. When you first run UOSA you get a lovely digitally painted artwork and that part is great. But then you get dark blue windows with a hideous orange line on them. When you start the game you get more blue windows with tips etc with yellow buttons. Then a grey one that asks if you want vet rewards. Then another grey one that looks different again when you open the guild window. The trade windows have yet another style, and the list goes on. There are so many colours and styles that it all starts to look cheap and nasty. Way too many styles and conflicting colours all over the place.

In Conclusion

When I first saw the screen shots of KR when they came out I was really excited. They looked really good. I downloaded KR as soon as I was able. It had its flaws and I really didn’t like the avatars, but all of the other improvements were fantastic. I loved the new foliage, the detailed new walls, the grass, the rippling water and the flowing lava, the new graphics for monsters, the spell effects. But as I look at UOSA I start to wonder what happened. Who decided to dump all the lovely new graphics? Who stopped the artists working on all the unfinished art? It seems to me somebody decided that we didn’t deserve any new graphics, we didn’t deserve a shiny new interface. So all we’re getting now is new content in a client that makes UO look like somebody gave your PC a virus.
I’m going to stick with the old client, it may be 11 years old, but it still looks far superior to UOSA. KR looked so good. What a shame!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can place waypoints to your heart’s content.
I must be doing something wrong. I tried setting up custom waypoints in the atlas, but they didn't seem to be saved or to display on the atlas. Where do they show up for you--on the atlas or map-- and did you have to tweak anything under User Settings before they would save correctly?

O

Old Man of UO

I just tried the open beta of UOSA and I wanted to post my opinions ...

1) Tiny icons. Why are the icons (especially items) on the hotbars so small?

2) Backpack and container changes. I can see the advantages of having nice squares in your containers to place items in. But I really like it the old way so I can place items where I want. You can turn this option on, but the graphics are awful and it doesn’t really work properly.

Just wanted to comment on these two items:

1) I just measured the icons in 2D and SA - on my 22" monitor, the 2D is actually smaller at 5/32". Adjusting the UI Scale in SA to 9.0 makes them exactly the same size. Now, if I run 2D in Full Screen then the 2D icons are bigger at 8/32". So how are you comparing icon sizes?

2) I really like and prefer the grid style of the backpacks, and I think the graphics in the grid style are just fine. To me, I don't see a difference in the Legacy backpack and the graphics compared to 2D... so not sure what you mean here. But which backpack style to use, really comes down to personal opinion, and both grid and Legacy styles are planned to be available.

S

Spogfrawn

I must be doing something wrong. I tried setting up custom waypoints in the atlas, but they didn't seem to be saved or to display on the atlas. Where do they show up for you--on the atlas or map-- and did you have to tweak anything under User Settings before they would save correctly?
I turned off all of the lagacy boxes in the options. I have no idea if that helped or not. But the waypoints seemed to work for me.

S

Spogfrawn

Just wanted to comment on these two items:

1) I just measured the icons in 2D and SA - on my 22" monitor, the 2D is actually smaller at 5/32". Adjusting the UI Scale in SA to 9.0 makes them exactly the same size. Now, if I run 2D in Full Screen then the 2D icons are bigger at 8/32". So how are you comparing icon sizes?
Drag a runebook, bag of sending or a weapon into the hotbars. You get a teeny tiny icon.

O

Old Man of UO

Drag a runebook, bag of sending or a weapon into the hotbars. You get a teeny tiny icon.
How would a large icon fit the icon slot? I suppose it could be bigger, but not something I really care about. What I would prefer is to have all the item stats and description show when you mouse over the icon... which they don't now.