• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Game of Thrones: Intrigue

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Game of Thrones: Intrigue
WarderDragon

No Fictional nor Medieval Civilization upon which Britannia is based has emerged from the death of its leader so peaceful. So apathetic. So serene.

That needs to change.

That a legion of corrupt warlords and opulent aristocrats haven't begun clamouring to establish power in the vaccum - i.e. a Game of Houses - is a sign of poor fiction and opportunities wasted. Thus I propose we - the RPers - attempt to fill the void where others choose not to.

So how are we going to inject more intrigue - perhaps a bit more chaos and bloodshed - into our Fiction and Interactions?

Basis for the thought once intended for the Event Moderators.

The concept of a Monarch or Emperor ascending the Throne without decades of bloodshed and political intrigue is a rather modern one.

Our past is rife with examples of Wars fought for Power. For Greed. Wars of Succession. Wars for the Crown. Charlemagne had to face his own brother Carloman - who in the end died of rather mysterious and convinient circumstances - before consolidating the land into one Kingdom. The Hundred Years War. The War of Roses. The Roman Emperors themselves were famous for dodging assassination attempts while contending with the subterfuge of Senators, Generals and would be Successors. And even our own Cantabrigian British was in embroiled in a long war against Lord Robert before consolidating the realm under his rule and establishing the Virtue Religion.

That Queen Dawn has had to deal with only a few distant and outside threats is surprising.

I propose a renewed emphasis on her enemies within Britannia. The Nobles. The Corrupt Politicians. The Generals. Perhaps most of them approved her ascension in the vaccum left following the defeat of Casca. But it would be a shock to me if some haven't considered turning against her based on recent events. The Invasion. The Crystal. The Loss of Magincia. And not a single response to the Attack on Yew.

I would be surprised if some nobles weren't manuvering to garner the favor of Virtue Bane. I'm sure several would think it prudent to establish ties to the Demon in the event of the current regimes fall.

I propose this.

I propose the occasional minor invasion of the Capitol of Britannia. This would favor the Defenders - OOC - advancing the plot and giving the Town Guards an antagonist.

This would also be a source of Quests allowing the Britannians to hunt down and expose the enemies of Queen Dawn. (i.e. Royal Spymaster.)

Your thoughts?​

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Re: The War of Succession: Intrigue

Need to tread very carefully here.

WildStar

L

Lindae

I recommend that we aristocrats all move to the countryside, learn a trade, and make ourselves useful. Cottage industry for all!

Y

Yalp

" I go marching with large clodhoppers into the delicate flowers"!

As for me and the House of CTDM, I am hoping there is some corruption of the treaties between the House of Lord Britain and Tokuno lands. I would love to see the Empress send emissaries to the Castle Brit for an official audience with the next Monarch *hopefully an evil one*. I am hoping there's a formal ceremony where the Empress of Zento makes an appearance and formally nullifies our treaties and diplomatic ties with Brittania (for some aggregious action of the new monarch) I am hoping Tokuno's diplomatic and peaceful co-existence with Brittania is tested. There could be a "purging" of the Brit's who currently occupy titles of Noble and Samar-ii that wonder the Zento Streets. And a new era of hostilities would ensue. An official edict from the Empress to prohibit any Zentite from providing aid or assistance to the Lands of Brittania, etc. etc.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Not a bad idea.

Though how can we create and promote such interaction without the assistance / interference of an EM?

This is one instance where I would suggest we build our own plots. We have become so dependant on the Event Moderators to guide Baja Fiction that we've failed to create our own.

Y

Yalp

well for starters, I'd love to see an EM play the role of the Empress and make an appearance. Maybe a formal procession from Zento *via ship* to the border where some event gate brought us to the Brit docks. From them an assembly of Tokuno dignitaries would walk down the streets to the steps of the castle. Some official looking document nailed to the front doors of the castle..

"in the absence of any leadership of britainnia, the kingdom of Tokuno... yada yada yada.. formally suspends our treaty of peace and assistance until such time as a legal heir to the throne is named.. blah blah blah..."

if there is a new king/queen crowned by the developers, a formal meeting with the new monarch could be arranged, with the purpose being to negotiate a treaty of peace and/or assistance. There could be some disagreements as to language, with it being a sticking point and causing a rift.

This could also be played out between the Empress and Queen Zhah of Ter Mur. Formal negotiations and/or diplomatic meetings to write a treaty between the two peoples.

Bryelle Vaughn

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Both Umbra and New Magincia (Now that it is rebuilt) would fit here as well. Perhaps an evil lich or a group of wraiths in Umbra could claim control and verbally withdraw from Any type of Sosarian Allied situation. In many ways the land itself is so vastly different from any of the others it would make sense for them to cause trouble.. Of course I could be biased as I am used to causing trouble in Umbra.

And of course.. New Magincia poses a whole list of possibilities as a challenge to the throne and to other lands, such as Tokuno. I'm sure there is a way to work in Luna as well..

L

Lindae

Both Umbra and New Magincia (Now that it is rebuilt) would fit here as well. Perhaps an evil lich or a group of wraiths in Umbra could claim control and verbally withdraw from Any type of Sosarian Allied situation.
Are you trying to accuse me of something?

Of course I could be biased as I am used to causing trouble in Umbra.
*side-eye*

Get out.

(OOC: omg another umbrian this is so exciting! tell me all about yourself plz)

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It would appear the first signs of discord are emerging in Britain.

See A Truth: The First Seeds of Insurrection.

There is some discussion of developing this further. i.e. the Town Guard being rumored to be a much more brutal enterprise than it has been perceived. The criminal element might attempt to paint themselves as liberators and heroes fighting a despotic regime.

See Police State.

Bryelle Vaughn said:
Both Umbra and New Magincia (Now that it is rebuilt) would fit here as well. Perhaps an evil lich or a group of wraiths in Umbra could claim control and verbally withdraw from Any type of Sosarian Allied situation. In many ways the land itself is so vastly different from any of the others it would make sense for them to cause trouble.. Of course I could be biased as I am used to causing trouble in Umbra.
While not true of some shards - i.e. Catskills - the sparse lore we do have indicates regions such as Umbra and Delucia are independent of Britannia. (Despite attempts to establish dominance.)

Necromancers themselves were once burned at the stake or crucified. So I do not see the two having a warm relationship.

It is a ripe locale around which one might develop a future antagonist.

Bryelle Vaughn

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you trying to accuse me of something?
*side-eye*
Get out.
(OOC: omg another umbrian this is so exciting! tell me all about yourself plz)
(OOC: I got my start as on OES Member on Atlantic. If you ask what city I know best, it's going to be Umbra *grins* And it's going to be the Necromantic, Flesh twisting, Lich infested version. *sighs with a look of heaven* Yes, that was home. As a result it tends to play into a lot of my characters.. Now.. for those who know me.. a runner up city is Skara.. But.. Umbra was the first for me to call home.. so it adds a special place in my heart! Feel free to PM me or ICQ me :483-626-468: And we can talk a ton more... as I rarely shut up.)

Warder: I look forward to the many wars we could possibly incite!

There is a host of possibilities here.

L

Lindae

*mutters about the Umbrians of his childhood being far too subtle and graceful in their machinations to rant on about their intentions to cause turmoil in a public meeting-place*

(OOC: I added you on ICQ! Baja needs more Umbrians, we're outnumbered by goblins right now and that just won't do. You can be Lindae's friend.)