• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Game of Intrigue - Laws and Contraband

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Game of Intrigue - Laws and Contraband

Below I wish to compile a list of Laws and Items that are considered to be Contraband - based in Ultima Lore and Baja Fiction - as a sort of Merchant and Smugglers Guide for Interaction.

Contraband is defined as items that are illegal to be possessed or sold.

Members of each group are encouraged to contribute. (i.e. Blackrock and Necromancers are outlawed in Britannia according to the Fiction, something that is often forgotten of late.) Fictional reasons for their being outlawed are encouraged.

Groups of Interest: Britannia. Magincia. Dawn. Hearthfire. Umbra. Tokuno. Avalon. et. al.

L

LynneOfMagincia

I would be curious to see if Necromantic Reagents are considered contraband. I believe Magincia in its current state is still going over the list of what we consider contraband.

Slave trade across board I believe falls into this category though.

Additionally, does Blood in any form fall into the contraband list? *blinks*

*Also, is it considered poaching if you live off mainland but hunt for your resources in say.. .Destard and the surrounding roads of Britain?

L

Lindae

Greetings.

In the interest of keeping Umbra a peaceful and pleasant place to live, please allow me to reiterate its contraband laws. They apply to all citizens of Umbra, even the senators; anybody wishing for an exemption from the law for any reason must apply in writing to the High Council. The following items are currently banned except under special circumstances:

Blackrock
Strictly forbidden. Anybody caught with more than a pebble of blackrock in their house is branded as a smuggler and exiled. A sufficiently large amount of blackrock is considered evidence of intention of terrorism, and is grounds for an execution.

Live Magical Creatures
Ownership of live magical animals and monsters is permitted if approved by the Council (owners must abide to stringent standards of containment and handling). However, the smuggling of magical creatures into Umbra is banned. The reason for this is that the delicate ecosystem of the northeast forests has been damaged by the careless introduction of non-native magical animals, which compete with native creatures (such as the nightmare) for food. Efforts are being undertaken to clear out the ferals and restore the forest. Until we are holed up in our castles and besieged by screaming packs of hungry nightmares, we are not trying hard enough.
Punishment is a hefty fine, and destruction of the creature. (Alternately, owners can pay a slightly higher fee and plead clemency, in which case they have one week to find the creature a new home in Britannia and provide the appropriate paperwork, after which the beast is allowed to live.)

Necromantic Constructs
Obviously, we are allowed to have some constructs to assist us in our daily lives. Every household may have up to six unregistered constructs, each being no taller than four foot high and no heavier than seventy pounds, and containing no human tissue of any sort (except for hands). Reanimated humans are purchased from the necromancer's guild and individually registered to prevent their misuse, as are hellsteeds.
Any other construct is forbidden. Sentient constructs and reanimates are strictly forbidden, as are those with magical powers or powers allowing for large-scale destruction.
Punishment for low-level offences is a fine or a jail sentence, and destruction of the construct. High-level offences are punished with a longterm jail sentence or death in extreme cases. (Ownership of a skeletal dragon, a monstrous interred grizzle, or one's reanimated relatives is considered a high-level offence. Ownership of a zombie chicken is not.)

Opiates and Britannian Wine
Drugs are considered to be a Britannian conceit that no proud Umbrian would ever partake of. Officially, there are no drugs in Umbra. The flourishing underground laudanum trade is all in our minds, which I suppose is our fault for taking so much imaginary laudanum.
Britannian wine is one of the stranger contraband items on the list. The High Council feels that it is more potent than Umbrian wine, and therefore a threat to our youth. Consequently, a cellar full of wine from Britannia has become a status symbol in Umbra, where the cheapest sauvignons can go for a thousand gold pieces or more per bottle. Of course, we could just teleport into Britain, get as drunk as we want, and then teleport back home again; but where is the fun (and potential for snobbery) in that?
Punishment is a moderate fine and confiscation of the substance, of which the High Council disposes as they see fit.

Peaches
We have this one mad senator that hates peaches for no reason and none of us seem to be able to get rid of him.
Punishment is being forced to publically eat or otherwise dispose of the peach.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Britannian Contraband -

Blackrock.

Bloodspawn.

Vampire Blood. Daemonic Blood. Devil and Balron Blood.

Silver Serpent Venom is considered to be a drug in Ultima Lore. See Valknut and the Tomb of Kings.

Some forms of magic - i.e. Necromancers, Infernalists, Daemon Summoning - are considered to be heretical. Scrolls, Books and Items associated with such heresies are destroyed.

While it is not illegal to adhere to the teachings of Blackthorne, the Followers of Chaos should expect to be harassed.

Propaganda denouncing Lord British.

Relics and Contraband associated with the Cult of the Fallen, the Shadowlords and the Bane Chosen.

The named liquors - i.e. Waxing Dark Brew and Serpents Cross Lager - are not found outside the Liquor Smugglers Cache. Nor can these items be found on Britannian (NPC) Vendors.

While named liquors might not have properties considered unscrupulous or illegal - there is no Britannian Prohibition - it can be assumed that the Britannian Government is a Merchantilistic State, the High Council also controlling much of the trade, and as such, liquors not made from Britannian grains (Ale) or Yew grapes (Wine) are considered undesirable.

Thus, to those with a full purse, these liquors represent a desirable and foreign forbidden fruit, just as Cuban Cigars are considered desirable in America despite the embargo.

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The Kingdom of Dawn

Contraband:
Blackrock
Blackrock Stew
Literature showing support for The Dark Tower.

Laws forbidding:
Slavery
Inhumane treatment of/Experimentation on pets, mounts and working animals.
Inhumane treatment/Harsh Interrogation Techniques of prisoners.
Bane Dragons as pets

WildStar
Grand Duchess
Kingdom of Dawn

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You once mentioned Dawns position regarding sentient and demi-human beings. In particular, those reviled in other societies. (i.e. Drow, Orcs, Vampires, Savages, et. al.)

Elaborate.

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
You once made mention of Dawns position regarding Sentient and Demi-Human Beings often reviled in other societies. (i.e. Drow, Orcs, Vampires, Savages, et. al.)

That they are welcome in the Kingdom of Dawn as long as they don't start maiming or killing citizens of the Kingdom.

WildStar

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
*wasn't aware that Magincians were that different from other people*

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is because I meant the question for them.

I'm sure we could find something wrong with the Magincians. If we look hard enough.

L

Lindae

That is because I meant the question for them.
I'm sure we could find something wrong with the Magincians. If we look hard enough.
Perhaps they have no contraband laws. Their newly refurbished city could be a veritable orgy of blackrock and dark arts for all we know.

L

LynneOfMagincia

Perhaps they have no contraband laws. Their newly refurbished city could be a veritable orgy of blackrock and dark arts for all we know.
*grins* Indeed it could be.

I have sent a message now to the powers that be. It is time we established some type of hierarchy so that these types of laws can be discussed, agreed upon and enforced.

For the moment, I would say that slaves of course are contraband and forbidden. But short of murder, Magincia is in it's own state of martial Law with a mix of the "honor" system in effect, until a government is formed.

I will say that all parties known to be loyal Britannians, specifically those identified as military personnel, should expect to be questioned.

L

LynneOfMagincia

Per the incoming responses from active residents the following are contraband in Magincia. As Amber Witch is traveling abroad across Sosaria, I reserve the right to add, change, remove and otherwise completely reformat what you are about to read. Actually we, of Magincia, reserve that right at all times.

Contraband:

Blackrock
Blackrock Stew
The act of Necromancy (Reagents may be kept but if it is found you have a large stock pile, questions may be asked)
Literature supporting Bane, Virtuebane or any of those found to have supported these creatures.
Literature supporting the Shadowlords.
Slavery

Additionally: Any of those known to be Britannian Military or extremely loyal to Britannia should expect to be questioned.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Vale of Wrong is subject to the Peace of Prince Riain and the Kingdom of Dawn.

But it is here that Nicholas - a ruthless northerner of indeterminate origin - enforces his own version of the law.