• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Game of Intrigue: Governments and Areas of Influence

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Game of Intrigue: Governments and Areas of Influence

Below I wish to compile a list of IC Governments and Areas of Influence - based on Ultima Lore and Baja Fiction - as a RP Merchant and Explorers Guide to Interaction.

Groups of Interest: Britannia. Magincia. Luna. Umbra. Dawn. Avalon. Hearthfire. Wolf Woods. So on.

I welcome each group to contribute.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I should elaborate on Area of Influence.

An Area of Influence is not a Land Claim. It is instead an Area where one group or another exercises power - be that Economical or Religious - but not Control.

Multiple groups can possess Influence in the same region. It is also possible for a group who to possess more Influence - and therefore Power - than a group who does claim that region. (i.e. The Empress controls Tokuno. But it could be argued that Britannian merchants have more power there.)

L

Lindae

Umbra is run by a council of representatives from all functional areas of the city, from the farmers up to the necromancers. Representatives are appointed by their fellows and decided by popular vote. The council is overseen by the landlords, which currently number six (Umbra is a small city and the revolutions of sixty years past took a great toll on the old noble families), with a Prime Minister (also decided by popular vote) who gives the final word on decisions and matters affecting the state.

We are allegedly a democracy, but anybody who thinks that the smallfolk council cannot be shouted down by the landlords is tragically naive. Votes are often swayed by less-than-legal means, and enough of Umbra's industry is run by the underworld that the smallfolk council contains, at any given time, about a dozen outright criminals. Also, while a new Prime Minister is elected every five years, one family has had a stranglehold on the position for several generations and shows no interest in relinquishing it.

As every Malasian civilisation besides Umbra and Luna has long since fallen into the void, we own basically whatever we lay claim to. It is generally agreed that the corrupted forest, the Gravewater Desert, the remains of Grimswind and most land east of the mountains is Umbrian; the rest is constantly being squabbled over, although it has been a while since the squabble erupted into outright war.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And slowly but surely your thesis on the Umbral becomes mine.

Shafiri would be proud.

L

Lindae

Shafiri will never be proud of me, no matter what I do or how many times my partner tries to bite off his face.