• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Lock Picking] The facts and figures ... 95-GM lockpick in Twisted Weald

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Credit for this is mostly to Craftsman. I'm just trying to clean up the forum and consolidate information.

I decided to start a new character last week and started with 50 lockpicking. It didnt take too long to get to 95 using a lockpicking house, cycling through 20 locked boxes.

From 95-GM I decided to document my progress in twisted weald...

Went in with 20 locked boxes made at 70 tinkering skill. GM boxes are no good as with your disorded skill means too many broken picks and failures. Boxes made at 70 tinkering skill will GM you.

Already had a UOA macro set up to pick box 1, lock box 1, pick box 2, lock box 2 etc etc.

I had timed my macro and it ran for around 46 seconds, picking 20 boxes so this equates to around 25 boxes per minute.

Attacked a Satyr just inside the weald and got discorded. Lockpick dropped from 95.0 to 69.8 ... a 25.2 decrease. Exited the weald to lose aggro then straight back in and stood next to the Satyr. Another option to loose aggro is using invisibility pots.

Started the UOA macro to pick the boxes. Gains were as follows ...

95.0 - 96.0 17 minutes 425 boxes picked
96.0 - 97.0 27 minutes 675 boxes picked
97.0 - 98.0 32 minutes 800 boxes picked
98.0 - 99.0 20 minutes 500 boxes picked
99.0 - GM 34 minutes 850 boxes picked

Total time from 95.0 to GM in Twisted Weald 2 hours 10 minutes.

Total boxes picked 3250 which equates to .1 gain every 65 boxes picked.

Did I feel as if i'd cheated? ... a little... but considering I GM'd lockpicking on another character the hard way a few years back I didn't feel too bad about it second time round I do feel kind of sad that it can now be done this way but im not going to look a gift horse in the mouth ..

Thought this little guide might be helpful to anyone wondering how long this method would take.

Oh, and the embarrassing part was when I first entered the weald forgetting that this fairly new character had done a couple of steals and therefore had ever so slightly negative karma. Got immediately smacked around and dirt napped off a paragon pixie. Quick rez, killed a couple of nasties to get karma up, then back in again ..

Special thanks to PHLiNX for loaning me the boxes.

Craftsman

To get to the Twisted Weald, you must have access to ML. Go to the elven city Heartwood in Yew.

Once in the city seek out Lorekeeper Calendor. She hangs around the platform just east of the Bowcraft area.

She will give you a quest to bring her a dreadhorn's horn. Accept the quest and that will allow you access into the Twisted Weald.

To get to the Weald, you'll need to use a moongate and select Ilshenar, then chose the Spirituality Gate. From ther run through the passage and head along the mountains west.

You will soon find a small cave as seen in the above picture. Enter the cave and you will find a sparkle in the northern most part of the cave. Pass through the sparkle and there you are in the Twisted Weald.

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I guess if you dont have a 70 ish carpenter just send your GM carpenter to twisted weald to get discorded (to get his or her skill down to 70) to make them chests

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I guess if you dont have a 70 ish carpenter just send your GM carpenter to twisted weald to get discorded (to get his or her skill down to 70) to make them boxes

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BTW, the chest lock intensity is based on the TINKER skill of the carpenter, not carpenter skill.

FatMagic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wanted to say THANK YOU Oriana for this guide to the Twisted Weald. I had NO idea this trick existed, and I got to GM Lockpicking last night from 95 LP, with just 2 nights of work in the Twisted Weald! Now i'm off to try my hand at some dungeons & t-maps!

R

ravenheart31

Strangely i tried this with carto when it slowed down and i went to TW and the maps i started making were indecipherable maps... i did get a quick .1 gain but after about 10 minutes got no gains. Have they stopped us from being able to do this?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not to my knowledge. The maps made in the weald have always been indecipherable.

Of course, with the SoTs dropping at the champ spawns, there is little need to do the Carto run from 99.5 to GM in the weald anymore. I've got two SoTs totalling 0.5 Carto on Lake Austin that I'll give free to any T-hunter in training, provided that they save them to use for the last 0.5 of their skill.

R

ravenheart31

Not to my knowledge. The maps made in the weald have always been indecipherable.

Of course, with the SoTs dropping at the champ spawns, there is little need to do the Carto run from 99.5 to GM in the weald anymore. I've got two SoTs totalling 0.5 Carto on Lake Austin that I'll give free to any T-hunter in training, provided that they save them to use for the last 0.5 of their skill.
You are so very right :) Fortunatly i found a few on my shard so i wont have to do the TW trick... now i just have to GM lockpicking :sleep2:

T

telepathE

I found by using KR and just sacrificing a large number of Picks..you can get 95 to GM MUCH! quicker in the Twisted Weald than setting up macro via UOA...you only need to take 1 GM chest with u and keep on trying to pick it...u break many picks but u still can..

sames goes for lvls below 92 on lvl 3 dungeon chests...the way i've understood is that you don't keep gaining on a chest that u unlock and relock..thus the reason why most mention getting 100 chests to unlock and re-lock...that way is very time consuming...although the way i have described you do need to have a few gold coins but we're not talking much here...and you still gain(very quickly too) on it because you have not yet succeeded on opening it!

Dilmah...Do Try It...

Peace!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No, the reason why a lot of the older material refers to 100+ chests, is there was anti-macroing code (since removed) that required you to pick over 100 DIFFERENT chests before you could gain on one you'd used to gain before.

Fresley

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went from 95-100 in Twisted Weld in maybe 15 minutes using the EC and 6 level 70 or so boxes. I made the boxes on a GM Tinker while discorded.

I made a simple macro with my keyring 6 times targeting stored (each box) and then lockpicks targeting stored (one for each box again) and set it to repeat 10 times.

I wonder if all those boxes getting picked sound the same in the classic client?

C

Cailtyss

Fresley. I am new to the enhanced client, and for the life of me can't get your lockpicking macro to work for me, can you spell it out for us stupid ppl"?

I must be doing something wrong.

Fresley

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure thing.

Put all of your keys on a ring. Drag that ring to your macro. Click the ring in your macro for targeting. Select stored and target your first box. Do this 1 time for each of your boxes. 5 boxes means five copies of your keyring in your macro.

Drag your picks to the macro. Click for targeting, select stored again and target your box. You will also do this once for each box. 5 boxes = 5 copies of your picks in your macro.

Set your macro to repeat enabled and for 10 times. Save it and drag it to your hot bar. Hit the corresponding key and pick like the wind!