• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Dirty Butcher

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
now im just gonna put this out there.....

with Gerald the Butcher having a king sized bed 5 feet from the front counter of his meat shop...... just what exactly ARE the acceptable forms of payment there?

i had heard his meat's where something to see, it was all the talk of the girls at the water cooler at the tailor shop.

Rimeny

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I’m still shocked at how empty the other new building is, did they run out of coin!?

Belmarduk

Adventurer
After just having our yearly Code of Conduct Training today, I think the butcher could get into trouble setting up his store this way :)

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
now im just gonna put this out there.....

with Gerald the Butcher having a king sized bed 5 feet from the front counter of his meat shop...... just what exactly ARE the acceptable forms of payment there?

i had heard his meat's where something to see, it was all the talk of the girls at the water cooler at the tailor shop.

Looks like another satisfied customer just outside the doors ;) methinks they take it out in trade ;)

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I’m still shocked at how empty the other new building is, did they run out of coin!?
wait.... you mean you don't have a fork locked down on the floor nor a door hanging in mid-air? sheeeesh, you got cheated

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Isn't the butcher's shop about where the uber-pimp of the UO Beta was offering his wares?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't think that's true at all. I think that's just modern fiction giving that impression. Especially in the case of butchers.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't think that's true at all. I think that's just modern fiction giving that impression. Especially in the case of butchers.
Actually, it's somewhere between the two.

The living quarters were always in separate areas (such as a building sharing a wall) or upstairs, not on the same floor as your business. (Miss Piggy, when asked under what sign she was born, replied "A butcher shop.... It was a close call.")

In the case of butchers, the persons dealing with meats weren't slaughtering the animals - they'd typically do that at farms, corrals, or stables (Horse! It's what's available for dinner), cut it down to sections (if needed), then taken to the butcher's for final prep (even the blood was collected for various uses, either in food or construction - the Romans actually used animal blood in some of their concrete mixes for its binding properties!). Then, if not sold fresh, was taken to distinctive separate buildings for curing/smoking and/or storage (such as cellar filled with river ice).

Butchers were probably some of the first modern professions to industrialize, as the wars ramped up around the time of the Renaissance & Reformation - because of the needs of feeding armies that had grown too large to feed themselves via scrounging the countryside (especially after they killed or drove off the locals, or driving out the invaders that did the same and scrounged everything already). Before then, most stuff was done on the farm, and the only professionals of that type were probably part of the local nobility's tax collection force (who had to convert the tax paid "on the hoof" to food for the lord).

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am sure it varied, but property within city walls was extremely expens
Actually, it's somewhere between the two.

The living quarters were always in separate areas (such as a building sharing a wall) or upstairs, not on the same floor as your business. (Miss Piggy, when asked under what sign she was born, replied "A butcher shop.... It was a close call.")
Yep, that's what I recall reading previously. Real estate within city walls was extremely expensive, so having a separate residence was a big luxury. An additional consideration, and probably more important one for the ones outside of the city walls was safety. Police/guard protection varied from mediocre to non-existent. If you live in the same building with your shop, you and your family can guard the goods at night.

Deimos

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm a little disturbed that the meat has been laying on the floor for nearly 22? years and hasn't gone off yet
Does he supply McDonalds by any chance? :p