• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] The Difference Between Auction Threads and Selling Threads

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hiya everyone,

Someone brought something to my attention that I did not realize until now. Lately we all seem to be treating selling threads like auction threads, which eventually creates confusion if the seller decides to sell the item before the "bidding" ends. Just to clarify things, I will define each.

Selling Threads

In selling threads, the person who started the thread usually puts a picture of the item, description, and a price. If a price isn't included, they usually write something along the lines of "highest price takes it" or "offers welcome". If two people want the item, they are definitely welcome to adjust their offer based on other people's offers, however since it is a selling thread, not an auction, the item's owner can decide to sell the item to anyone, at any time, for any price. They are not violating any type of rule by doing that.

Auction Threads

In auction threads, the original poster usually puts a picture of the item, describes the item, and sets a reserve or buyout for the item with a time saying when the auction ends. If a person takes the buyout, they have automatically won the auction. If the bidding never gets above the reserve, nobody wins the auction unless the item's owner decides to lower the reserve. The auction is supposed to continue until either the time runs out, or someone takes the buyout. If the item's owner decides to sell before either of those happen, it is considered rude, and if the person does it multiple times it can be considered trolling and will be dealt with by the moderators.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is a selling thread
http://community.stratics.com/threa...nd-items-accepting-gold-on-any-server.325151/
Seller clearly gives a price and sells the item for set price

When you start asking for offers and people start bidding higher and higher, it becomes an AUCTION

the more you know.
It does not become an auction until the thread starter officially changes it to an auction by either changing the thread prefix, or posting that they are turning it into an auction. That's just how it is.

michael dangerous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Are you serious? If that is the case why would anyone pick the auction option, just put it as selling and sell to the highest bidder, LOL.

michael dangerous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
LOL so then everyone can go back to bailing out on their item if they don't get the offer they want AND i guess since they are allowed to bail out, the buyer can too!
so nothing was solved, yay!!!!!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
LOL so then everyone can go back to bailing out on their item if they don't get the offer they want AND i guess since they are allowed to bail out, the buyer can too!
so nothing was solved, yay!!!!!
Read the rules I stickied to the forum, if the buyer or seller bail out frequently it will be up to the moderators to decide what to do about it. They can set the reserve in the auction to whatever their price is if they want to, if no one bids that number or higher, it doesn't get sold. Simple as that.

michael dangerous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You aren't understanding, no one is going to auction an item if they can get in trouble for bailing out, they will just use the seller option which according to you doesn't have to honor anything.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are both trying to fix something that wasn't broken to begin with. The actions of stupid people result in stupid "rules".

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You aren't understanding, no one is going to auction an item if they can get in trouble for bailing out, they will just use the seller option which according to you doesn't have to honor anything.
If you would like to further discuss that, message the owner of Stratics, Ron Bron. I understand what you mean, and believe it is worth inquiring about.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You are both trying to fix something that wasn't broken to begin with. The actions of stupid people result in stupid "rules".
It clearly was broken to begin with, since people have been complaining of others not honoring bids and causing drama in this forum for weeks.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
look specifically at the " others " that are the target of the complaints and your problem will be revealed. new rules wont fix those people, they thrive on finding the rule and exploiting its grey areas and or oversights.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's nothing to discuss just make it if someone wants to sell something, they give a set price.
Would like to point out that part of the new rules say that Traders hall is for price checks and discussions as well, it's the Non-Rares trade forum that is strictly selling for set prices. someone asking for offers counts as discussion.

michael dangerous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Would like to point out that part of the new rules say that Traders hall is for price checks and discussions as well, it's the Non-Rares trade forum that is strictly selling for set prices. someone asking for offers counts as discussion.
This is all irrelevant , wth ? lol

Once again simple fix ,
if you are selling an item - set price
if you auctioning an item - bids

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is all irrelevant , wth ? lol

Once again simple fix ,
if you are selling an item - set price
if you auctioning an item - bids
Like I said, if you want that to be made a rule, talk to the owner of Stratics, Ron Bron. I am finished talking with you about this and have talked with you way longer than most people would have. I'd rather leave this thread open in case another person has a question, so if you reply again i will just thread ban from this thread to. Thank you for your concerns, they have been noted.

JDGTR

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
TBH it is the sellers item to do whatever they want with it . Just bad MOJO if seller does not honor bids and or buyer does not pay.
Yard, sell me that jewel u got man....i'll triple price you paid...me need

yardman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you still dont know me once it goes in one of my suits its lost forever unless of course ya wanna pay bills i may consider it it but most likely not

JDGTR

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
LOLOLOL it was suppoosed to go into my suit too, but i missed the auction...whine