• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

"The Creature's Spirit Lacks Cohesion"

Rusker Sulle

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Trying to res my horse at an NPC Vet and I get that message for five minutes. Why is that even in the game? What's the point of that and what does it accomplish?

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In order:

1) I don't think anyone knows.
2) There is no point.
3) It pisses people off and results in threads like this.

The sarcasm aside, I think the devs were SUPPOSED to get rid of it, but that was a while ago...and they still haven't done it.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wasn't that delay put in to encourage us to track down a player Tamer instead of using the npc pet rezzer?

With the rareness of tamers standing around towns with their player actually paying attention to the game, that left us waiting out the delay muttering colorfully at the devs or logging out of UO and going to play another game.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Trying to res my horse at an NPC Vet and I get that message for five minutes. Why is that even in the game? What's the point of that and what does it accomplish?
It's to force you to interact with other players, yes "force". There are still those that think we should all rely on each other for every single thing in this game, because..well, that's fun. The devs gave us Soulstones to enable single characters to have multiple skills at their disposal, still forcing us to wait for a damn npc to rez a pet makes 0 sense.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wasn't that delay put in to encourage us to track down a player Tamer instead of using the npc pet rezzer?
No doubt, but it's unrealistic. Really all this does is frustrate new players or those who can't self rez.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I can see it happening at the NPC in order to keep sales of the Elixir of Rebirth up. But that message even happens on that stuff as well..

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the best feature in the game.
I have come to believe that if it is something bad for the overall game you are in favor of it and if it is something good for the larger community you are strongly against it :)

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sure this was added to the infamous list. Give it a couple more years.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I believe this was first done so that in large battles people couldnt get their pets ressed to quick and return to the battle. Somewhat like a stat time for factions. However, I dont think its working the way they intended it to and its been that way for way to long.

It is extremely annoying, Your pet is already getting a skill punishment when rezzing there probably shouldnt be any other punishment.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have come to believe that if it is something bad for the overall game you are in favor of it and if it is something good for the larger community you are strongly against it :)
Excuse me? how dare you, who do you think you're talking to?

I spend an awful long time trying to improve this game even if it means offending certain people by proverbially making them to rub their faces in their own vomit and forcing them to look in the mirror.

Let me explain this feature, which to mean seems completely obvious and should require no explanation:

1. If you are a tamer, you should have vet to rs your pet so it shouldn't matter anyway.

2. If you somehow get your pet killed (even though it's near impossible by the log out feature) and you do not have vet, this is one of the drawbacks to having taming without vet since they removed the additional stat loss you used to get from having someone else res your pet.

3. If you're not a tamer, you're talking about ressing mounts, most of the time your pet dies often is if you use it for pvp, and this is to encourage people to use VvV mounts as you can self res them.

4. The gentleman mentioned earlier, this is not an offline game, if you don't have vet, this is to encourage you to build relationships with other players.

So please think fo a second about the drivle you're writing before picking on me just because Messana thought it fit to make a fool of me infront of the whole shard with her :next: just because she knew she was in the wrong and lost the argument before we started so didn't want to hear my question.

I work tirelessly to improve this game, without me and my campaigns you would have almost no buffs/debuffs. Hailstorm would still not work, scores of exploits would still be in use. I can't even list the amount of bugs i've campaigned to be fixed, there's so many.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I spend an awful long time trying to improve this game even if it means offending certain people by proverbially making them to rub their faces in their own vomit and forcing them to look in the mirror.

Let me explain this feature, which to mean seems completely obvious and should require no explanation:

1. If you are a tamer, you should have vet to rs your pet so it shouldn't matter anyway.

2. If you somehow get your pet killed (even though it's near impossible by the log out feature) and you do not have vet, this is one of the drawbacks to having taming without vet since they removed the additional stat loss you used to get from having someone else res your pet.

3. If you're not a tamer, you're talking about ressing mounts, most of the time your pet dies often is if you use it for pvp, and this is to encourage people to use VvV mounts as you can self res them.

4. The gentleman mentioned earlier, this is not an offline game, if you don't have vet, this is to encourage you to build relationships with other players.

So please think fo a second about the drivle you're writing before picking on me just because Messana thought it fit to make a fool of me infront of the whole shard with her :next: just because she knew she was in the wrong and lost the argument before we started so didn't want to hear my question.

I work tirelessly to improve this game, without me and my campaigns you would have almost no buffs/debuffs. Hailstorm would still not work, scores of exploits would still be in use. I can't even list the amount of bugs i've campaigned to be fixed, there's so many.
I think point 1 is a valid point - tamers without vet should take a hit - and I can see the PVP concerns - but this most often happens to pvm dexxers wanting their swampies rezzed - it would be fine with me if they could disable auto log in pvp and leave it in pvm - it wouldn't be too difficult for the program to know whether you died while fighting a player or a monster - otherwise just change the AI of the damned swamp dragons so they know to run away when the player dies and not just stand there and get killed - to me this autolog feature it's just me giving them a command to get out of the way, which they should be doing in the first place

Last edited:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On the rare occasions I run taming I can rezz my pets, when I'm not running taming I ride an ethereal ki-rin. On the rare occasion I get my fire beetle or blue beetle killed while running gathering skills it's annoying to have to wait out the playtime wasting timer. At least it's apparently down to five minutes if the poster above is right about that, have to cuss less colorfully at the devs next time until it's been longer than five minutes... then :rant2:

:p

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Mesanna made a fool of you in front of a whole shard? Let me guess you were still beating a dead horse :)

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When I read the transcript I felt that it was rude of Mesanna to say that to em, but you can't expect it to always go smoothly without mistakes, especially if it's something that the majorty of players don't show much enthusiasm on issues such as what Mervyn was talking about...

I believe in regards to the LMC bonus being a "Hidden property" that his point to make it visible for the sake of players that don't keep up with everything UO, especially new/returning players that otherwise wouldn't know about it, He's right, it should be visible.

He did advocate for many of the Buff/Debuff icons that are now displayed as well. regardless of how many times it had to be brought up. (how many times are people going to ask about multiboxing at EM events?) - they're beating a dead horse as well btw... it just doesn't feel like it because it's something the majority of players seem to actually care about.

As far as the OP though.

There's no reason to have a cooldown on an NPC vet to res players pets for a price... Why?

#1) You don't put cooldowns or restrictions on goldsinks.
#2*) The Vet NPCs aren't conveniently placed where your pet might die. so you're not ressing your pet as soon as it dies or anything which would basically mean there's no downfall for your pet dying.
#3*) It doesn't take away from people that do have Vet... because they don't need to stop what they're doing to find an NPC In Town, just to get their pet ressed so they can continue playing.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Old faction horses should be ressable with bandaids too. That makes me angry/

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Needs removed but they'll never done it just because they don't have to
They know what's best for all of us right ?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember trying out Oceania shard before the veterinarian NPCs were added. I must have played at the opposite time of the day from most of the other people who played there. Killed my character's pet, couldn't stable its ghost, and dragged it around for a couple of weeks until I finally ran into someone who could rez it.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember trying out Oceania shard before the veterinarian NPCs were added. I must have played at the opposite time of the day from most of the other people who played there. Killed my character's pet, couldn't stable its ghost, and dragged it around for a couple of weeks until I finally ran into someone who could rez it.
On some shard I play and don't have or want a tamer, I trained vet up to 70 and keep 20-30 in vet jewels on a trash acount character just to Rez the Swamp Dragon or other ride. For the exact reason you mention. Just keep those character stabled upstairs Luna and stocked with bandages. There are some shards that due to population and time differences you can literally go months without seeing another player.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Old faction horses should be ressable with bandaids too. That makes me angry/
If you could still self res the old faction mounts that don't dissapear after 8 deaths, why would people ride the new ones? Everyone would ride the old ones then nobody would do the towns as they would not require points for new mounts.

And on some issues the devs have it right, people have no idea what they want. People complain there is too much bad news in newspapers and think they would prefer a newspaper with good news. But papers with a good news headline sell less than bad news headlines. What people say they want and what people actually want are not the same.

That is why we have ended up turning this game into everquest, with 0 real fel shards. Every single shard has the economy poisoned by free movement of items/resources from trammel or 120 powerscrolls farmed on dead shards and transferred.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You better blame the beta testers, it was put in at the behest of tamers who felt they should be the first 'go to' for dead pets.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you could still self res the old faction mounts that don't dissapear after 8 deaths, why would people ride the new ones? Everyone would ride the old ones then nobody would do the towns as they would not require points for new mounts.

And on some issues the devs have it right, people have no idea what they want. People complain there is too much bad news in newspapers and think they would prefer a newspaper with good news. But papers with a good news headline sell less than bad news headlines. What people say they want and what people actually want are not the same.

That is why we have ended up turning this game into everquest, with 0 real fel shards. Every single shard has the economy poisoned by free movement of items/resources from trammel or 120 powerscrolls farmed on dead shards and transferred.
Not every VvV character has an old faction mount and they aren't transferable. Making the old ones res with a bandage would provide a small reward for still having one while keeping a market for the VvV mounts for newer characters.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

LOL, nobody has done towns since the beginning of VVV, cause VVV is terrible and has been since its inception. Factions was ten times better, all it needed was a current update. The fact that those new horses disappear is why most people wont use them. More and more pvpers are using swampys and beetles and lesser hiryus then those mounts for a reason.

I think that the cohesion thing was put in place due to pvp long ago. There was a lot of people that didn't run vet on pvpers and just ran out ressed and swapped g dragons out in a instant and went back to the fight immediately. But I don't think it should matter anymore since pets aren't the same and neither are the templates used in pvp. Maybe if the pet was killed by a player keep the timer on ressing but by monsters it should not have a timer, dunno if that is possible.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not every VvV character has an old faction mount and they aren't transferable. Making the old ones res with a bandage would provide a small reward for still having one while keeping a market for the VvV mounts for newer characters.
reward for being lazy and not bothering to participate in the towns?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only thing they need to change about VvV is to make sure the town only active when 10+ oranges are in fel.

(plus make feeding the horse courage give more than 1/20 readiness)

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I forgot, there is a bug too, you can't recall into the city but you can recall out? bad bug.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
reward for being lazy and not bothering to participate in the towns?
That's really quite laughable logic there. People aren't doing towns now. If you want people to do towns it needs to be fun and worthwhile. A VVV horse or not isn't gonna do it.