• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The best way to revitalize the game!

• Thread starter Barney Rubble
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
B

Barney Rubble

Open up moongate's to travel across the regular production shards. The thing's i think it will help are PvP and it would level up the econemy across the shards sence you could shop anywhere.Now i understand that ea make revenue off transfer token's but i think this change would bring in alot of new revenue from returning players and new players both. I would love to hear what other think of this or am i :bdh:?

L

Loqucious

At first I thought this was a poor idea, but as I'm thinking of the posibilities I'm kind of interested. I can see players keeping their homes on their main shards, but jumping to ATL, Europa, ETC for excitement.

But I think you should only be able to carry what is on you and the stuff in your bank box should stay on your main shard.

I can see waves of PVP'ers crossing into shards for huge battles and I can see player run events becoming important. I can also see banks filled with people as well as dungeons.

Interesting.

R

RavenWinterHawk

At first I thought this was a poor idea, but as I'm thinking of the posibilities I'm kind of interested. I can see players keeping their homes on their main shards, but jumping to ATL, Europa, ETC for excitement.

But I think you should only be able to carry what is on you and the stuff in your bank box should stay on your main shard.

I can see waves of PVP'ers crossing into shards for huge battles and I can see player run events becoming important. I can also see banks filled with people as well as dungeons.

Interesting.

Actually not a bad idea.
But. It should also be a gold sink and differ from tokens.

10 MILLION to take you and your mount and empty backpack to the shard.
Your bank box transfers.

This way it reduces gold. And keeps TRANSFER tokens in play.

A transfer token gets you 5 packs and your backpack full to a new shard.

B

bwitched

Open up moongate's to travel across the regular production shards. The thing's i think it will help are PvP and it would level up the econemy across the shards sence you could shop anywhere.Now i understand that ea make revenue off transfer token's but i think this change would bring in alot of new revenue from returning players and new players both. I would love to hear what other think of this or am i :bdh:?
Hi I believe this to be a good idea. This is something that will stabilize the economy across all shards, the only shard that should not be allowed to access is a shard like siege its meant to be hard, I know a lot of people will be saying NO WAY to this Idea because they will be loosing their self made business but hmmm UO was meant to be a game not a way of life as a business for gamers sorry but it is true. Great Idea hope it would go through.

R

Repo

I believe there is a major code issue with this idea. You're not just switching from a local server, you're moving box to box. The new box doesn't have your character information, (which is why when you do a character transfer, you have to wait an hour to login to the new server. I believe there is a data upload, verification process that contains your bank box and so forth. Devs could confirm?) and switching that back and forth could be very difficult (if not impossible) and cause major load & balancing issues. (Imagine if everyone in UO decided they wanted to attend an event on one shard.... the server not being balanced for the influx of players would crash)

Also, this would remove a stream of revenue for the company.

I think its a neat idea, and while I do not develop software for UO... I do believe this is not only a very difficult task to complete, its time and resource consumption would not provide an equal amount of new benefit to players or UO.

(Have to consider what projects the dev team would have to put aside to accomplish this, and I think there are bigger fish to fry with bigger benefits to the community of players)

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wasnt that how it was years ago when UO first came out?

thought i heard something about it somewhere along the line.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Yes ... you are :bdh:

Cutting a revenue stream for EAMythic
AND
opening an easier cheaper way to move "loot" for the scritter scum dupers

NO

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My take on this change if it were to go live is this.

Based on the Reality that "The very very very few WILL ruin it for everyone else", then ...

I you like your Server/Shard's the you had darn well better hide it and never ever speak of it.

Because if YOU are having fun, if YOU have a great community then THEY will come and do what ever it takes to ruin it for YOU.

Oh, lets see I ruin my reputation on Shard X? No problem lets Moongate to Shard Y.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is a neat idea, but I have to agree that I think it would not be possible to do....cheaply :)

I would like to see Reds be alowed in Tram. They would have to follow the same rules as everyone else in Tram, it's just that their character would be red.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eliminate Gating, Recalling and Sacred Journey...oh, and eliminate mounts and the ability to turn into creatures that speed up your ability to run...la

V

Vaen Swiftar

I would love this idea. But it would ruin the cash-cow EA has of character transfers. So it will never come to life.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Yes, if they removed Character Transfer tokens AND only if you should do it naked.

Checks and perhaps a mount should be allowed to be transfered as well, but nothing else!

It should also work as a gold sink; a 10 mill. gp fee would be appropriate.

Otherwise, NO!

B

bwitched

Yes, if they removed Character Transfer tokens AND only if you should do it naked.

Checks and perhaps a mount should be allowed to be transfered as well, but nothing else!

Otherwise, NO!
Sorry dont agree with the gold sink if I cant transfer any items why would I pay 10mil to transfer? Gold sink is just there so UO can sell the gold to players instead of the transfer tokens. If this is done dont do anything because nothing has changed. I know I would love to go hunting on another shard if my shard is quiet and no one to hunt with, Also I think it would be a very good chance for younger players to travel and maybe place a nicer home on different shards. I have my Castle so dont be using that all you want is to access shards to place a bigger home quote one me, not the case here. One thing for PVPers which i am not one, they would have a hole new world to play in would be the birth of shard factions. Main thing from this idea would even the playing surface for all players, it wont change the value of gold and there will be still brokers so i dont see the issue with it. Will add a question to this why is a stable market across all shards a bad idea??? because I feel that is resists I have seen by talking to a few people that items should be worth more on different shards,WHY??? Only shard I believe that should not be allowed to transfer in and out of is a shard like Siege was meant to be hard. Anyways thanks for reading and now i feel the need to beat the cow:bdh:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

No, Character transfers have caused enough problems as it is. ANY transfer should just be the character, stats, and a new set of newbie items based on the top 3 skills (randomly chosen if more than 3 are equal).

Allowing people to zip from one shard to another fully loaded with items has led to too much damage to the game.

S

Sip-n-Shine

Actually not a bad idea.
But. It should also be a gold sink and differ from tokens.

10 MILLION to take you and your mount and empty backpack to the shard.
Your bank box transfers.

This way it reduces gold. And keeps TRANSFER tokens in play.

A transfer token gets you 5 packs and your backpack full to a new shard.

Why 10 million? I have never had 10 million on 2 shards combined. Why is it the elite(rich) think that this game is just for them? 5k maybe. This is a good idea but for the gold amount should never be over a 5k. This game is for everyone not just the rich.

B

Barney Rubble

Ok seem's were getting a bit off topic there would be no cost just normal use of moongates, your bank is still avalable at any bank. Your house is on the shard you chose to have it.
:wall:
and i agree this game should not be only for the rich to enjoy and as for the lost revenue with the gas prices and food prices rising everyday i dont think many will beable to put out cash to transfer a char to much longer.

B

bwitched

Hehe sorry Barney Rubble, Like I said at the start of this thread great Idea X shard moongate would be very cool and should be FREE or at most 5K so all players can afford it, just not the rich, I think you are on to something but time will tell!

Now back to the COW:bdh:

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to get off subject... but notice the saddle? Its beating a dead horse..

R

Revenant2

Someone brought this up on the old board once.

It's clear to me the transfer of characters and items between shards is too big a deal to make work in a quick, easy, moongate-like way. The underlying process involves creating (duplicating, really) items from the old shard onto the new, and a new char is created in the likeness of the original char. At the end of this process, the char and items are probably deleted off of the old shard or, at a minimum, become completely inaccessible to the player.

Every single item on a shard has a unique, number-like identifier called an Item ID. If you have two pieces of meat in your backpack, each one has its own, unique item ID. Each shard has it's own set of item IDs and no two items on that shard have the same one. New Item IDs are made up each time a new item is created, and when an item is deleted (you feed that piece of meat to your pet), that Item ID disappears out of the system (at least for a while, until I presume it's assigned to some newly-created item elsewhere).

When an item or a char transfers shards, all of the Item IDs associated with the 'new' items are, of course, based in the system on the new shard. You'll note that pet balls have to be reset if you transfer one along with it's corresponding pet - this is because the ItemID of the pet has changed and the one stored in the ball is the old one, so it can't work right any more.

All of this transfer crap is a big deal to make work right. They've clearly coded powerful safeguards into the process because, if the process was written badly and a failure of some sort happened, you could end up with the char and all his stuff simply gone.

I don't believe there's a way this process can happen safely in a snap, like how fast people enter and exit the moongates. They have to be careful as heck with the process, and as it is now it takes a while, maybe up to an hour if I correctly recall what transfer tokens tell you when you use them.

A different thing though - - If several shards were, on both a hardware and software level, combined into one box, then it would be possible to do between those connected shards. If done like that, it would be one server system masquerading as two UO servers, and it would probably set up to maintain Item IDs that do not cause conflicts between the two hosted shards (one system of item IDs between the two hosted shards). If the Item ID system was set up that way, moongate-like transfer possibilities would come naturally and safely.

There's a number of ways they could screw around with that if they really wanted to, but it would be a ton of work no matter what. I don't know how many Item IDs their system can handle so things could start to get weird if you really tried to combine 2 shards with all of those items. They might have to redo the whole Item ID system to account for double the items (ICKY!).

The difficulties involved with combining shards are kinda bleh...nobody's going to want to do that job without a very compelling reason (such as a serious requirement from somewhere up above to physically shut down one shard and move its players to a different one).

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

Otherwise, NO!
Somewhat agree.

Price for transfering naked should be payable even for players who don't own millls. 500 k sounds better to me. It should be a return ticket.

I can see why you would want to bring checks but I would say NO!

Better would be to let the char travel naked, with emty backpack.

When he entre the new shard, he will get a standard newbie suit and weapon for his template. He will get a temperery nank and stable on the shard he visite
He still have his skills so even without friends on the shard, it should be possible for him to make some money and buy what he need.

When/if he choose to go home, he will lose all in his temperery bank and stable.

If he should choose to stay and make it to his main shard, he will lose bank and stable on old shard.

I think I could accept Siege to be a part of it. It could give us some actions.

C

Coppelia

How do you manage character slots and where's data held when the servers are all at different places?