• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] The Alchemy Mage - Made more viable with TOL?

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hey guys, I am thinking of putting together a super high end Focus Spec PVP alchemy mage now that a few wonderful items are out with time of legends as well as legendary artifacts being a dime a dozen!

Here we go!

Template -
120 Magery
120 Evaluating Intelligence
120 Resisting Spells
100 Inscription
100 Alchemy
80 Poisoining
80 Meditation (90 with Balakai Shaman Staff)

Stats -
120 Strength
20 Dexterity
120 Intelligence
Race: Human

Suit Features -
70/70/70/70/70 (With Reactive Armor and Magic Reflection)
2/6 Casting
40 LMC
30 Spell Damage Increase (Inscription raises it to 40 SDI)
-0 Mage Weapon for combat defense (Balakai's Shaman Staff)
-Nothing in off hand for Potions
50 Enhance Potions
45 Defense Chance Increase
20+ Mana Regeneration
18 Hit Point Regeneration
100 Lower Reagent Cost
Kenetic, Damage, Fire, and Cold Eater on Armor
12 Casting Focus (17 With Inscription)

I believe with the new artifacts that the suit is possible to maximize this build. Wont be cheap (I put aside 2b for it today) but I think it would be really really good in PVP. It might seem to be alot of mods, but with legendary items and the artifacts we can now aquire it is more than possible. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Just got the suit put together, SO GOOD. Im moving to LS tomorrow to pvp, atlantic pvp isnt my style. Heres what I did:

Helm: Crown of Arcane Temperment - CF2, 8MI, 3MR, 8SDI, 6LMC, 10/14/4/12/7
Ears: None
Neck:Legendary Platmail Gorget - 2CF, 3HPR, 2MR, 15DamageEater, 10LMC, 18/22/16/19/17 (magearmor)
Talisman: Slither - 10HPI, 2HPR, 10 DCI
Sash: Royal Lieu Sash - 10INT, 2MR, 10LRC
Chest: Legendary Platemail Tunic - 2CF, 4 HPR, 2MR, 15FireEater, 20LRC, 19/18/18/17/19 (magearmor)
Robe: Hawkwind Robe - 2MR, 5SDI, 10LMC, 10LRC
Cloak: Jumu's Sacred Hide - 15PoisonEater, 5SDI, 1FCR, 5FireResist
Belt: Tangle - 2MR, 10INT, 5DCI
Arms: Legendary Platemail Arms - 2CF, 4HPR, 2MR, 8MI, 4STR, 15KeneticEater 18/19/17/18/17 (magearmor)
Gloves: Legendary Platemail Gloves - 2CF, 2HPR, 10LMC, 20 LRC, 15KeneticEater 19/22/19/18/23 (magearmor)
Ring: Imbued Ring: 15DCI, 1FC, 2FCR, 25EP, 10LRC
Brace: Imbued Bracelet: 15DCI, 1FC, 3FCR, 12 SDI
Weapon: Balakai's Shaman Staff - 10Meditation, -0MageWep, SpellChannel, 25EP
Shield: None
Pants: Legendary Platemail Leggings - 2CF, 2HPR, 2MR, 8MI, 20LRC, 15FireEater 17/19/22/17/18 (magearmor)
Feet: Minax 5LMC, 10LRC

Totals:
12 Casting Focus (17 With Insription)
2/6 Casting
18+ Hit Point Regeneration
18+ Mana Regenration
100 Lower Reagent Cost
40 Lower Mana Cost
30 Spell Damage Increase (40 with inscription)
Defensive Mechanic Equivalent to 120 Wep Skill
45 Defense Chance Increase
50 Enhance Potions (80% With GM Alchemy!)
15 Damage Eater
30 Kenetic Eater
30 Fire Eater
15 Poison Eater
10 Hit Point Increase (( only gripe i have ))
Good Mana Increase
WELL OVER all 70's, I am corpseproof Fire/Poison. With legendary artifacts resists are hardly an issue.

So yes, proved it was possible! whoof! Now its time to learn how to play this pile LOL. I got off easy as I had 3 platemail legendary pieces already, total cost was a whopping 1.1 billion gold, everything included. Im quite suprised it wasnt more. Since I am moving to another server (and less populated so harder to get things) i went with non antique jewelry, antique breaks WAY too fast.

Any comments please let me know! Suit Building is a number game!

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
What change within ToL makes this better than it would have been before, if you don't mind me asking?

Min

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
The Balakai staff with the extra enhance pots makes it work, letting him get to 80% EP. It's also one handed, so he can chug. The -0 Mage weapon is nice.

I'd love to hear what your best explosion pots and heals do.

The only change I would have considered is spell weaving instead of nox for the mastery (mana shield). And 100 anat instead of inscription, because disarm spammers need to be taught a practical lesson (with eval that's a 120 dodge skill).

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
What change within ToL makes this better than it would have been before, if you don't mind me asking?
Its a mixture of the staff as well as the Eodon clothing, actually, it frees up alot of mods needed on your jewels and gear making insane suits possible. Youre at 40 LRC, 15 LMC, 15dci,10SDI, and more before you even put a piece of armor on!

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I see. I thought that maybe there was a combo out there somewhere WRT a mastery that I hadn't thought about.

I thought EP was capped at 50 though?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought EP was capped at 50 though?
From UOGuide: "If your character has the alchemy skill, the cap is raised 10% for every 33 skill points you have. At 99 Alchemy the cap is 80%."

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Looks good to me and good job on the suit. Aside from the obvious with the HP, though I'm guessing with a 80 e.p. pot you have 150 Str/135 HP (it'd bother me tbh)... I was halfway through building a focus spec Mage too only was going with Parry/Poison because... well ya know, dexxers are ridiculously OP, need some high skill item jewels for mine though so haven't been able to get going with it. The only other thing I sometimes put on there is 100 rpd because no one expects it and they rarely notice, but does depend on whether people bother to non 100% phys their weapons.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If im solo, i find that a spell focusing sash on my scribe makes for a nasty surprise when i get drop the big combos at high focus levels.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
If im solo, i find that a spell focusing sash on my scribe makes for a nasty surprise when i get drop the big combos at high focus levels.
Do debuffs count towards that? I forget if it's after 5 spells of lower damage the next 5 do higher damage but what I mean is does Curse/Clumsey/Feeble/Weaken/Poison count?

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Yeah thats a good question - does spell focusing sash work in PVP? i always thought it was for pvm and increases the SDI (which is has no cap in PVM), and since SDI is capped at 30 for a focused mage it wouldnt have any more of an effect.

VERY interested in that as well.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spell must deal a minimum of 5-9 damage (Not sure if the min is 5 or 9), so debuffs do not count.
Otherwise the effect is something like this
-40% damage increasing by 8% over 5 spells. (So first 5 spells on target) (-40%/32/24/16/8)
Followed by a 2% growth per spell until you reach 20% and you remain at 20% for 5 spells then it loops around again from -40%

SDI is capped in PvP, however since the spell focusing sash does not work with the sdi property but rather with a damage modifier, the effect allows you to get additional damage in PvP beyond SDI limits. (Some additional effects which function similarly for warriors are mentioned in the 120 Chiv thread, since EOO/CW/ and Bard Inspire provide modifiers which function outside of most item caps)

So a focused mage with scribe would basically get 1.4 * .6 at minimum (84%) and 1.4 *1.2 at max (168%)

Can get flame strikes hitting in the 50's and makes for really sick burst damage if you time it well.

*edited because some of my answer got eaten due to forum outage during post. added it back in

Last edited:

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I highly recommend experimenting with it.

I stockpiled them when they were going for 5-25k, and I'm not sure if they are still available.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
They're still available on Atlantic I have over 50 to sell lol. Having read this and the other thread on the same topic, it sounds quite hard to actually know when to 'go big', trying to keep track of that plus normal spell timing for interrupts of opponents seems rather difficult. I mean you say you can get a 50 damage FS, you can get that anyway with an Scribe FS/Omen combo, which is a lot simpler to do.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The most important part is that you can turn it on or off.

Omen FS is simply a tactic that you are using, Omen FS for 50, while your focus is maxed would be bumped to 60.

The main point is you essentially pay the cost up front, those 5 spells at lower damage, once those are over you dont have to worry too much sinve everything else until you hit the cap is not costing you anything and giving you a small bonus too. 10 spells going from 0-18% bonus damage and 5 at 20%.

Since most of your interrupts will be non damaging spells or harm from a distance, they won't affect your focus level.
Typically I'll get my spell cost paid quick with fireball and magic arrow untill I see the message that I'm in positive damage. At that point I know its all bonus so I fire away. If I'm paying attention and see I hit the zone, then I will tend to get a bit riskier and fire off some big combos like XP + double FS or double EB since at max focus the XP + FS combo alone hit for more than 100.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't decide if I love PvP or suitbuilding/theorycrafting more :D It's a shame that PvPers are often marginalised when they are very much the innovators and pioneers of UO.