• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The 3-Option Pre-Purchase - Which is Right for You?

B

Bella

With April 10th less than two weeks away, decisions must be made as to which edition of the three offered pre-purchase versions would better suit you and your Guild Wars 2 addiction. So I thought I'd take a look at and break down each edition in an attempt to help the decision making process along. As of this writing, we know that the game will launch sometime in 2012 but no official announcement has been made as to an exact date.

As a note you should understand that pre-ordering is NOT the same thing as pre-purchasing. Here are the main differences:

Pre-order is just that; you are able to pre-order, or reserve if you will, your game beginning April 10th. When pre-ordering no payment is due until some time closer to the release date. For your pre-order, you will have a one-day head start access to the game once the servers go live. You will NOT receive access to any of the weekend beta events prior to launch nor any of the in-game (or out-of-game for that matter) items that are offered in various degrees via the three pre-purchase options.

Pre-purchase or paying in full immediately for any of the three - Digital Edition, Digital Deluxe Edition, Collectors Edition - will grant you guaranteed access to each and every beta weekend event held up to the games launch. You will also receive a three-day head start into the final version of the game and an in-game item rightfully named Hero's Band that offers the following bonuses: +2 Power, +2 Precision, +2 toughness, +2 Vitality, +2 Condition Damage, +2 Healing and +2% to Critical Damage.

Let's review:

For $59.99 the Digital Edition offers:

Access to all GW2 beta weekend events
Three days head start access
Hero's Band

You really cannot go wrong with this package and, considering there are no monthly fees to play GW2 (the $59.99 price tag breaks down to less than $5 a month over a 12 month period), the price is not bad at all. If you are looking for just the basics - head band, beta access, 3-day head start access upon launch - this is the way to go.

For $79.99 Digital Deluxe Edition offers:

Hero's Band

Plus:
  • Summon Mistfire Wolf Elite Skill - This unique elite skill allows the player to summon a temporary Mistfire Wolf pet for use in combat.
  • Rytlock Miniature - This rare miniature is a perfect replica of Rytlock Brimstone and will accompany your character on all of their adventures throughout Tyria.
  • Golem Banker - Your very own golem banker, at your command for 5 days! This mechanical man-servant will grant you access to your account storage from anywhere in the world.
  • Chalice of Glory - Earn some extra Glory with this one-time use chalice. Use Glory to unlock rewards in PvP as well as compare your progress against other players.
  • Tome of Influence - Give your guild a one-time boost of influence. Useful for unlocking guild vaults, emblems and other items for your guild.
I have to say this package, to me, is attractive only because I'd love to have a little Rytlock Brimstone to take with me as I venture throughout the world. While the Summon Mistfire Wolf Elite Skill is probably a viable skill to have for at least the first ten levels, with no further information on it who knows how powerful it is after that? So I can take it or leave it at this point. Both the Chalice of Glory and Tome of Influence are one-time use perks geared towards guild enhancement; nice if you are already part of a guild or are looking to join one straight-away. And while the Golem Banker hangs around for five days, its just long enough to start depending on it when it disappears. Do I sense a micro-transaction item in the works?

For $149.99 the Collector's Edition offers:

Hero's Band

Plus:
  • Summon Mistfire Wolf Elite Skill - This unique elite skill allows the player to summon a temporary Mistfire Wolf pet for use in combat.
  • Rytlock Miniature - This rare miniature is a perfect replica of Rytlock Brimstone and will accompany your character on all of their adventures throughout Tyria.
  • Golem Banker - Your very own golem banker, at your command for 5 days! This mechanical man-servant will grant you access to your account storage from anywhere in the world.
  • Chalice of Glory - Earn some extra Glory with this one-time use chalice. Use Glory to unlock rewards in PvP as well as compare your progress against other players.
  • Tome of Influence - Give your guild a one-time boost of influence. Useful for unlocking guild vaults, emblems and other items for your guild.
In addition to all of the above:
  • 10-inch figurine of Rytlock - This meticulously sculpted and painted figurine of the charr warrior Rytlock Brimstone will seize and occupy a place of pride in your home.​
  • 112 page Making of Guild Wars 2 book - Go behind the scenes of Guild Wars 2 in this 112 page hardback book featuring lush art, fascinating facts, and interviews with the development team.
  • Custom Art Frame - Display your concept art in this finely made art frame.
  • Art Portfolio and Five Art Prints - Five high-quality art prints featuring work by award-winning Guild Wars 2 artists.
  • Best of Guild Wars 2 Soundtrack CD - Famed composer Jeremy Soule's sweeping musical score captures the epic grandeur and mystery of Tyria.
This package is by-far quite impressive both in for what it offers and in price! The 10-inch Rytlock is beautifully made right down to the tiniest details and would command attention in any room. You can view the 112 page behind the scenes book that follows the making of GW2 all the while listening to the stimulating GW2 soundtrack by famed composer Jeremy Soule. Add to this the custom art frame, art portfolio and five high-quality art prints and this is truly a package worthy of any GW2 collector!

If you really want to lock in beta access the Digital Edition, Digital Deluxe Edition or the Collectors Edition will be your guarantee to make that happen. After over 1 million beta sign-ups in little over 48 hrs, our chances of receiving a beta invite via email may be the equivalent of the proverbial needle in a haystack. So you can see where pre-purchasing any of the above is a very attractive offer if you just cannot go another day without some Guild Wars 2 action.

You can find more GW2 goodness here at the official GW2 site.

We at Guild Wars 2 Stratics would like to thank ArenaNet for sharing and allowing us to share their pre-purchase information with the Guild Wars 2 players!