• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

the 3 new factions?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Overall Score - Crusaders of Virtue
Overall Score - Free Tradesmen
Overall Score - Guardian's Legion
Overall Score - Unknown Faction
This sigil has been corrupted by the Crusaders of Virtue
This sigil has been corrupted by the Free Tradesmen
This sigil has been corrupted by the Guardian's Legion
This sigil has been corrupted by an unknown faction
...and more
a snipping from the info burried in the code of that last patch.

totally new names of the facions, or just new ranks?

looks to me like
1 - Crusaders of Virtue
2 - Free Tradesmen
3 - Guardian's Legion
are the new names?

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a snipping from the info burried in the code of that last patch.

totally new names of the facions, or just new ranks?

looks to me like
1 - Crusaders of Virtue
2 - Free Tradesmen
3 - Guardian's Legion
are the new names?
All i have to say to the devs is.... rly? this is the best you can do? For **** sake.

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like for them to stay with the four traditonial names, and just move all the new bases in or out of towns. The names thats shown aren't going to be the New faction names though, I thought they were but read, that it's the theme they're going with on the new names or something, Free Tradesman -Theme for the name etc.

C

Cloak&Dagger

You all missed how, I believe supreme, said those names are place holders? There are a good 2-3 other topics about this....Not that I am complaining about the new topic, but rather saying the info is out there.

The "new names" are just to give the players an idea of how the devs are thinking in terms of the factions, I also believe the same dev had mentioned something about new lore and such for those new factions, which I assume also means new lore for killing off the old factions.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The devs said these names were just placeholders and subject to change.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1661200 said:
You all missed how, I believe supreme, said those names are place holders? There are a good 2-3 other topics about this....Not that I am complaining about the new topic, but rather saying the info is out there.

The "new names" are just to give the players an idea of how the devs are thinking in terms of the factions, I also believe the same dev had mentioned something about new lore and such for those new factions, which I assume also means new lore for killing off the old factions.
Scrapping the old names is straight up stupid.. It kind of ****s over the loyal players who played through the thick and thin. Who have been in the same faction for years and years.

S

Scratch

you all miss the obvious, if they do infact change faction names and guild tags such as COM, MIN, TB

it will destroy all current faction / non-faction alliances bring true meaning to factions

imho they should give all three factions control of two towns each and leave two available for the taking thus allowing everyone to get a replacement faction horse and stop the zerg control of towns by heat/hot which will no longer be allied

if this is their plan they have my vote

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
imho they should give all three factions control of two towns each and leave two available for the taking thus allowing everyone to get a replacement faction horse and stop the zerg control of towns by heat/hot which will no longer be allied
That's just stupid.

A

Always a Ghost

you all miss the obvious, if they do infact change faction names and guild tags such as COM, MIN, TB

it will destroy all current faction / non-faction alliances bring true meaning to factions

if this is their plan they have my vote

Just leave the names as well as the town system the way it is now. Sorry faction horses are like everything else in UO and you have to earn the right to have one. Took me a year to get mine, my thoughts anyhow.

S

Scratch

That's just stupid.
yeah starting off a new faction system with a huge fight over town control is dumb....lol
lets just let everyone keep what they control and not worry about it, as long as we can wear our faction arties on our faction horses in trammel.....

i thinks you are a peeple in the controling faction on your shard, prolly allied to your non faction guildmembers.....

faction / non faction alliances need broken asap

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Scrapping the old names is straight up stupid.. It kind of ****s over the loyal players who played through the thick and thin. Who have been in the same faction for years and years.
Didn't ego recently just move from min to SL?

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah starting off a new faction system with a huge fight over town control is dumb....lol
Last time I checked the was the point of factions....

i thinks you are a peeple in the controling faction on your shard, prolly allied to your non faction guildmembers.....
You've obviously never played on Great Lakes. Making random accusations isn't going to help make your point.

H

Hurley

Wow. Someone OBVIOUSLY has a PERFECT understanding of sarcasm...

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow. Someone OBVIOUSLY has a PERFECT understanding of sarcasm...

These are contradicting if he was sarcastic so I passed it off as him being an idiot. Otherwise damn, you got me....

ProZac

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those names are pretty bad.

Though, I don't think it would be a bad time to go ahead and put the old factions to rest. Would be nice to get a fresh feel to factions finally. Coming from someone who played factions hardcore since they first came out, spent long periods of time as CL when it mattered, and have lots of great memories with the current names... if one faction is going, they all should. A memorial should be placed at the old faction strongholds with some cobwebs, gravestones, and skeletons and they should become a memory. Factions have been a joke of their former entity for a long time now, and it's time for players to get a fresh system with a fresh feeling to make new faction memories. I don't know about you guys, but every time I visit the current faction bases and see how empty and bland they are compared to how alive they used to be, it is discouraging. It honestly turns me off from the game and puts me in "I miss the old days" mode.

L

Lord Strahd

I guess as long as the new factions or new names of factions have some serious meaning or backstory that we can all embrace then the names are mostly cosmetic. Whats in a name?

Anyways...heres hoping that there are still True Britannians!

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess as long as the new factions or new names of factions have some serious meaning or backstory that we can all embrace then the names are mostly cosmetic. Whats in a name?

Anyways...heres hoping that there are still True Britannians!
A lot is in a name.. Sentiment and history.. as far as im concerned those are the only things keeping UO alive.. the hope that the game is somehow turned back into the game it was to give us the old feeling of good pvp and the people and events that we remembered.. the good ol days.

Whats in a name? seriously?

L

Lord Strahd

This game will never be the game it was, and if your waiting for that to happen your wasting your time. The best we can hope for at this point is to give good feedback and try to make the game that we have better.

And the factions name thing.... as long as they make sence then thats all that matters. Factions rise and fall and new ones emerge. If you think about it the history has changed alot since those factions came out.

The shadowlords are defeated....

Lord British will never be coming back from the ether plane....Maybe his faction will continue his beliefs in the virtues ...but they are not waiting for his return anymore, I think everyone has come to that realism now.

The Council of Mages....BLAM BOOM POW ...I dont even understand how that building is the only one still left standing on Magincia? I guess the Daemon forgot that one.

And then theres Minax who seems to be keeping her head down and we dont hear alot out of her.

Functionaly these factions need to be working toward a goal and advancing their story. Lets be realistic some of those factions will move on or get run out. New ones may emerge that have reasons to fight.

I am part of the True Britannians Faction and its very much a part of my character and guilds backstory. However if this faction doesnt change or move in a meaningful way then it may disapear and Ill have to find someone else to fight for. I do like the faction, but its only a backdrop and a prop for something alot bigger.

Mark_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
New fiction will be coming out soon to give backstory to the change to 3 factions and what kind of "personality" they will have.

I think we are going to give some kind of legacy title to the players who are in the current factions whenever we finally retire them... something like, "True Britannian Loyalist" or "Reputed Shadowlord Worshiper" or whatever. Just to memorialize the old system.

The old system has some stuff in it that is just broke. Like, for example, the faction silver system. We couldn't put enough stuff to buy in the game to soak up all that silver. We are making some pretty big changes to the way things worked and we felt like it would be easier to swallow if players felt like it was a whole new ball game.

Also, we talked to EMs and some other testers and the general consensus was that we are going to make someone feel singled out if we just hit the D button on one of the factions. If we just make 3 new factions it is more fair.

The good news is... you get to try it today on a TC.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I posted a link for my faction friends on Siege. Factions is huge on Siege...

*edit* Well, as huge as anything can be on Siege.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
New fiction will be coming out soon to give backstory to the change to 3 factions and what kind of "personality" they will have.

I think we are going to give some kind of legacy title to the players who are in the current factions whenever we finally retire them... something like, "True Britannian Loyalist" or "Reputed Shadowlord Worshiper" or whatever. Just to memorialize the old system.

The old system has some stuff in it that is just broke. Like, for example, the faction silver system. We couldn't put enough stuff to buy in the game to soak up all that silver. We are making some pretty big changes to the way things worked and we felt like it would be easier to swallow if players felt like it was a whole new ball game.

Also, we talked to EMs and some other testers and the general consensus was that we are going to make someone feel singled out if we just hit the D button on one of the factions. If we just make 3 new factions it is more fair.

Uhhh, like, later today?

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Great post, I won't be online to test it :[

tink'r_toiz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

So to prevent one faction from feeling singled out you are going to make all players who have been loyal to their faction for years feel singled out... you do realize how many veteran players are considering leaving the game if the entire faction system is "removed"? And talking to ems and testers is a very narrow slice of your player base... come play factions with us, die with us, stand 10 hours fielding the base you love and then press the "delete" on all the factions.

And no, a Legacy title does not ease the pain of losing the factions.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This would be highly appropriate, thank you for thinking of it. Hopefully you'll approach the actual titles with a tad less glibness than the "or whatever" would suggest.

The old system has some stuff in it that is just broke. Like, for example, the faction silver system. We couldn't put enough stuff to buy in the game to soak up all that silver.
Personally I think points are way more broken that silver could ever hope to be.

*shrugs*

Points are something you should consider fixing for the new system.

Fiction is good.
----------------

Well I'm glad I joined the soon-to-be-old Faction system when I did, to be part of its waning days. I've been in Factions on 3 or 4 separate occasions throughout my UO career. I missed out on its dawn, but can now honestly say I was there for its twilight.

I can say honestly that I was in on the last gasp of the old system, fought at some of the last big defenses and raids, ran cover for some of the best Faction thieves at some of their last runs, assisted in keeping TB in good hands in one of the last attempts to rig a TB election.

I even wore some Faction Artifacts, though I discovered something interesting....I played a lot better without them. A lot better.

Even if the overhaul is months away from going live, it's clear that this is the twilight of the old system. There may be some action yet to be had, but a limited amount at best.

And I am glad I was there for this.

I'd urge you to not have Faction fighting outside of Felucca. Though new fiction could easily provide a realistic fictional reason for global fighting, I think global fighting would severely limit the appeal of the system. There is, I strongly feel, a necessity to rest and enjoy other aspects of the game environment. One of the reasons Felucca largely failed, even when it was the only game in town, is that it denied folks that opportunity, and forced PvP upon them at virtually every turn.

Even more importantly, though, I would urge you to retain the role of thieves in the new system...From the dialogues that people uncovered it sounds like you are, and this is, I feel, to your credit.

Contrary to what many will tell you, Factions was never actually about the fighting. The fighting was the means to an end. Factions was about controlling the towns and that's what the thieves did.

It has been a privilege to assist Tinkz, Gracie, and the other thieves in that effort, to be part of Factions during its twilight hours.

-Galen's player

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it is finally here, the big change. I will try my best to make the best out of a sad situation and give the new faction deal a shot. But to be honest, this is the only reason I still play UO is for Factions.

Galen: Thank you for the kind post, we enjoy your company as well.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are two sticky threads in the test center forum. What you could probably call 'first draft' of the proposed new faction system is on test center. Read the threads there for more details.

Mark_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This would be highly appropriate, thank you for thinking of it. Hopefully you'll approach the actual titles with a tad less glibness than the "or whatever" would suggest.

Personally I think points are way more broken that silver could ever hope to be.

*shrugs*

Points are something you should consider fixing for the new system.

Fiction is good.
----------------

Well I'm glad I joined the soon-to-be-old Faction system when I did, to be part of its waning days. I've been in Factions on 3 or 4 separate occasions throughout my UO career. I missed out on its dawn, but can now honestly say I was there for its twilight.

I can say honestly that I was in on the last gasp of the old system, fought at some of the last big defenses and raids, ran cover for some of the best Faction thieves at some of their last runs, assisted in keeping TB in good hands in one of the last attempts to rig a TB election.

I even wore some Faction Artifacts, though I discovered something interesting....I played a lot better without them. A lot better.

Even if the overhaul is months away from going live, it's clear that this is the twilight of the old system. There may be some action yet to be had, but a limited amount at best.

And I am glad I was there for this.

I'd urge you to not have Faction fighting outside of Felucca. Though new fiction could easily provide a realistic fictional reason for global fighting, I think global fighting would severely limit the appeal of the system. There is, I strongly feel, a necessity to rest and enjoy other aspects of the game environment. One of the reasons Felucca largely failed, even when it was the only game in town, is that it denied folks that opportunity, and forced PvP upon them at virtually every turn.

Even more importantly, though, I would urge you to retain the role of thieves in the new system...From the dialogues that people uncovered it sounds like you are, and this is, I feel, to your credit.

Contrary to what many will tell you, Factions was never actually about the fighting. The fighting was the means to an end. Factions was about controlling the towns and that's what the thieves did.

It has been a privilege to assist Tinkz, Gracie, and the other thieves in that effort, to be part of Factions during its twilight hours.

-Galen's player
Didn't mean to be insensitive, I said, "or whatever," because I've seen a bit of backlash on our working names of the factions and I didn't want the post greeted with "it's a terrible title for a former TB" when I had spent all of 2 seconds considering it.

All I can say is, I really hope you all try what we put on the test center. We would love your feedback. The most helpful feedback is from people who actually try it. Our intent is to improve the system not break it, which is why we are putting it up incrementally on a seperate shard and going to test the heck out of it.

Currently, everything that we haven't explicitly said we have changed is exactly as it is on live shards so the whole thing should feel familiar.

As for the point system being broken, we agree... that is why it was changed in the first phase.

There is no plan to have faction fighting in Trammel. However, there is intent to let a non PVP character be associated with a faction... like a rebel sympathizer or something. It will probably use a variation of the loyalty system we added in Stygian Abyss.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no plan to have faction fighting in Trammel. However, there is intent to let a non PVP character be associated with a faction... like a rebel sympathizer or something. It will probably use a variation of the loyalty system we added in Stygian Abyss.
Thank you; and, intriguing.

-Galen's player

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

-Galen's player
This might interest many that shy away from pvp (or Fel), but would want to be a sympathizer like Mark suggests.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

-Galen's player
This might interest many that shy away from pvp (or Fel), but would want to be a sympathizer like Mark suggests.
There is a bunch of good stuff in here, and Mark seems to be a "loyalist" in envisioning an evolution for the system into something better. Better even than I've seen described in some focus groups. I hope you will post feedback in whatever threads are appropriate under the test shard.

I haven't had the privilege of reading his fiction on these matters, but I think it will be something to look forward to.