• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thank you for the new money system.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So the TOL expansion has finally touched down and everyone has had some time to get used it all. I would just like to tip my hat and say a big thanks to the dev team for all the hard work.

The new money / currency system is one of the best additions to UO since the vendor search in my opinion. It makes trading with other players so much safer and easier for all parties involved.

So hats off to @Kyronix @Bleak @Misk @Mesanna

Thank you.

EDIT - Will the 175m cap on items in vendors be lifted anytime soon?

Last edited:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I certainly agree with this.
The new currency system is a pretty great addition to UO. I love it and makes managing anything gold related so much easier.
No more carrying gold on your back to buy stuff from NPC vendors! Hooray!

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree with all that expect the terminology in the menu and the many steps involved to transfer gold from a character on one account to a character on another. "Secure account"? Aren't all accounts secure? I just can't immediately think of more intuitive terminology or a simpler way to do it
EDIT: OK, why not this? Just give another character or player gold like you give him any other item in the trade window. Why not simply a one-step option to type in a number, click and gold goes from my main bank account to his? Why all the intermediate steps?

Last edited:

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I see a lot of huge benefits to the new currency system, especially going forward -- great idea and great work!

There are a couple things I've seen users struggle with initially and that new or returning players may have some trouble with. Perhaps consider for future improvements:
  • Add "Withdraw from Currency Account" and "Deposit to Currency Account" selection choices to the bank balance gump.
    I realize it's somewhat redundant but I see people asking about this a LOT because there's no obvious indication that they can just say "withdraw xxxx" or dump the gold in the bank box and it converts. However, the withdraw option is listed for the other two account types. This would just be a usability enhancement that will forestall the repeated question for new or returning players.)
  • Allow trainers, town stones etc. to be paid via the currency account, either with a command or via context menu
  • Cool new feature someday maybe: new guild security settings and "guild safes" that operate on guild permissions vs. house ownership?
Thoughts for improving clarity, because so much in UO assumes you already have knowledge of how things work or used to work:
  • If "Currency Account" was instead referred to as "Joint Account" in any documentation or menus
    Saw this as the description on @Petra 's website and thought it was a much clearer way to differentiate between Currency accounts and Secure accounts.
  • If "Secure Account" was instead referred to as "Reserve Account" in documentation and menus
    Feels like it would be more intuitive in understanding the difference between the three accounts without having to have it explained.
  • Wall safe gump: Change "Gold Deposited" to "Gold Available in Safe:" to make it clearer (combined with wording change above re: Reserve Account)
Again, I think this is a great feature, and I can imagine lots of ways it will become even more useful as the game and our world moves forward. Thanks devs!

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I agree with all that expect the terminology in the menu and the many steps involved to transfer gold from a character on one account to a character on another. "Secure account"? Aren't all accounts secure? I just can't immediately think of more intuitive terminology or a simpler way to do it
EDIT: OK, why not this? Just give another character or player gold like you give him any other item in the trade window. Why not simply a one-step option to type in a number, click and gold goes from my main bank account to his? Why all the intermediate steps?
I think we were posting at the same time, re: terminology ;-)

Re: transferring gold to other accounts...you *can* still transfer gold via the trade window. If trying to do it from one account character to another of your characters on a second account and you have 2 machines running you can do that too, although not all people have two machines they can log on simultaneously so that's where a Secure account becomes useful.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think we were posting at the same time, re: terminology ;-)

Re: transferring gold to other accounts...you *can* still transfer gold via the trade window. If trying to do it from one account character to another of your characters on a second account and you have 2 machines running you can do that too, although not all people have two machines they can log on simultaneously so that's where a Secure account becomes useful.
1. Glad to see some concern about the arcane terminology.
2. So you can make a simple transfer of gold between accounts via the trade window?
If that's true, you don't need two machines, just running two accounts in separate window or tabs.
Can that information be added to the wiki?
All I saw on the wiki was instructions on how to use a wall safe, which was very tedious
http://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/player/money/

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
1. Glad to see some concern about the arcane terminology.
2. So you can make a simple transfer of gold between accounts via the trade window?
If that's true, you don't need two machines, just running two accounts in separate window or tabs.
Can that information be added to the wiki?
All I saw on the wiki was instructions on how to use a wall safe, which was very tedious
http://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/player/money/

2. Indeed you can...and good on you for knowing that you can use a single machine. I'm still in the dark ages I guess, I still use two machines o_O

Re: the wiki -- currently Broadsword is developing their own wiki on UO.com; I presume this is the one you're referring to. Stratics is a 3rd party so we don't have any control over what is on theirs.

That being said, Stratics is also developing a UO wiki to focus more on "guide" and "stat" type information, which is in progress. I will be sure that we mention that you can transfer gold between accounts via the trade window and note this can be done by running multiple instances of the client. :)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
2. Indeed you can...and good on you for knowing that you can use a single machine. I'm still in the dark ages I guess, I still use two machines o_O

Re: the wiki -- currently Broadsword is developing their own wiki on UO.com; I presume this is the one you're referring to. Stratics is a 3rd party so we don't have any control over what is on theirs.

That being said, Stratics is also developing a UO wiki to focus more on "guide" and "stat" type information, which is in progress. I will be sure that we mention that you can transfer gold between accounts via the trade window and note this can be done by running multiple instances of the client. :)
Also, this really should have occurred to me - I could have just bought a knife from the other player for a million gold

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Also, this really should have occurred to me - I could have just bought a knife from the other player for a million gold
The good news is that you don't even have to do that...just bring up the trade gump and enter in the amount of gold you want to give them at the bottom of the trade window, and hit the check-mark.

It is really easy to miss though; I did so as well the first time. I'm getting old, change is hard :p