• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Terry's 'Castle with a moat'

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My husband's pipe dream was always to have a castle with a moat. Only in UO was this ever remotely possible, and when the chance came to build one he decided he preferred marble to stone, and so we have 'The Chateau' Most of the decor I'm now pretty much happy with, except for the large, open display floor which feels a bit 'messy', input on that welcome.

So: here it is, outside, from the roof:

The ground floor, work area and guest rooms

The main bedrooms - ash for me, frost for terry, oak for important guest.

and finally the problem floor

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love your use of colour coding for the rooms :) Shame about the heritage trees bleeding through to the other floors :(

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I recreated your problem floor on test, and also the roof. The marble half walls represent the four fountains of youth you were using next to your stairs. Someone (sorry I forget who) had used campions on top of their fountains where the water is to make very pretty planters, I think this would work well for you.

I pulled the wall in to make a balcony, I just love balconies, and it keeps the room from being too big and boxy. You can do different things of course with that area, I just tossed a loveseat there to have something there. You could pull the loveseat south two tiles and then put something else against the wall tho.

I'd probably choose to not display the soulstones or mini houses. The setting really has to be right for those to fit in with a design. I'm not overly fond of the globe of sosaria either, it's a bit strong against all that light marble anyways.

For the roof I removed the north and west tower walls, and put some goza mats down on one of them to show what it would look like if you had rasied goza mats to create little roofs on each of those four towers. With the walls gone you can easily go in and out of 3 of the 4 areas, the fourth one you would need to use a teleporter.

To raise the gozas high enough you will need 3 small tables and 2 damaged book piles, as well as needing to create a mini staircase so you stand higher up when you are placing all this stuff and putting the goza down. I can give better directions on how to do this if you would like.

The nine goza mats in a square on the roof actually aren't raised up, since it's test I really didn't feel like collecting 1000 demon bone and then fighting the bone demon for a gold skull, camping the damaged book pile, etc. ;)

I hope that all made sense, I am a bit hungover today and feel like my IQ has been halved. Lunch will perk me up tho! Mmm, subway.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks, some interesting ideas there. I'm somewhat reluctant to actually customize again, I had a heck of a job getting the net placed on the front and the statues on the pedestals and don't relish trying it again.

I vowed when I finally got it right that, no matter what, I was never adjusting the building again. :D

The rear roof tower has teleporters inside, it's our hiding hole from nature's fury. This house is on Siege.

oki, I took on board some of your suggestions, de-cluttered a bit and came up with this.

I'm happier with it now, it doesn't look so messy.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That looks much tidier! You still have quite a bit of room in the middle for putting something down in the future if you want, maybe a couple display cases with nice items or what have you.

I can't blame you for not wanting to recustomize. Oddly enough that can be one of the nice things about classic houses, you don't have a customize option so you don't end up replacing tons of deeded items and other things each time you want to change something. So if you are decorating and get nearly finished and realize there is a wall outta place you just have to decorate around it instead of debating whether or not to recustomize and have to fix everything yet again. ;)