• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Temporary Tamer Q&A here!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This thread is reserved for FAQ posts for the taming and bard professions. These share this thread partially from the large number of tamers that have some Bardic skill (and hence a lot of cross-traffic), and partially to conserve sticky space.

It is preferred that the info placed here be done in as large as chunks as possible (no 40-part FAQs with each section its own post - condense as much as possible), as to allow it to function for more than one FAQ's temporary home. Doing so will also make it less likely that multiple FAQs with get scrambled together.

E

Eslake

What can I tame without any skill at all?
Zero-Tamables : Dogs, Cats, Chickens, Gorillas, Mongbats (not greater), Rabbits/Jack Rabbits, Skittering Hoppers, Rats/Sewer Rats, and the small birds.

What can I OWN without any skill at all? (even if I can't tame it myself)
Eagles, Hinds and Timber wolves in addition to those listed above, as well as the domestic and the Deco/Utility pets.

Domestics : Boars, Cows, Goats, Horse/Pack Horses, Desert/Forest Ostards, Pigs, Ridgebacks, Ridable/Pack Llamas, Sheep, Swamp Dragon.
Deco Pets : Slimes and Bullfrogs.
Utility Pets : Giant and Fire Beetles

Where do I go and What do I Tame for faster gains?

0 to 30 : the Zero-Tamables list above (buy from a trainer on blue shards)
The farms around Skara and Moonglow, add in Sheep and Cows at around 20.

30 to 40 : Cows, Goats, Pigs, and Sheep
Around Trinsic Moongate and West of town on Moonglow Isle are good.
(and of course, the sheep pens in Yew)

40 to 60 : Hinds, Hinds, and Hinds some more.
Barrier Isle - the little sliver on the East side of Trinsic.

60 to 70 : Polar Bears and Walrususes
Dagger Island - the big frozen one that used to be all castles.

70 to 85 : Deathwatch Beetles
The area called the Wastes in Tokuno.
Brown Bears around the Moonglow Zoo are good also.

85 to 92 : Great Harts
Head on back to Barrier Island, remember those hinds? Time to tame their parents.
Grizzly bears work well here too.

92 to 102 : White Wolves
Back to Dagger Island for these, or if you like all those brigands, keep taming harts on Barrier Island.

102 to 108 : Gaman
Don't you wish we could ride these things?

108 and up : Ridgebacks
Through the cave southwest of Compassion in Ilshenar. There are savages around, so be prepared.

TandaBSK

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can any post updates or info on the newer tameables?
Greater Dragons and Dread Warhorses?

What are the stat ranges?
Special Abilities or oddities compared to other related tameables?

I'll continue searching for information but any help that can be given would be appreciated.

Found another link with the info!
http://www.uoguide.com/Dread_War_Horse

A

Aikiri

HI all,

I'm still new in still game but got the loves of it ever since i seem pple walking around with dragons and white wrym...i've tried taming them myself but it doesn't seems to work well....
*You seems to have anger the beast* is always the message i seem while i tried.

Can any nice gentlemen or ladies guide me along? Can i tame these pets alone or must i be in a big group? Any tips like hiting them 1st till their hp drops or somthing?

Thanks Alot *Muacks**Muacks*

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Those types of pets have a 90% chance (or is it 95%) of that message automatically. You just got to back off, let the timer go down, then keep attempting until you don't get the "anger" message.

A

Aikiri

WaTZ!!!!
oMG!!how long does it normally takes?
do i need to like invis myself and start taming and if fail..peace make them and invis and all over agian and agian?

WOW!!!..that's alot of patience....how u guys does that?

C

Cacophonix

For the tameables that give the angering message (I believe there is a 1 in 20 chance of not getting that message), I have a macro set up to "use skill taming", "wait for target", "last target". That way, I can just keep pressing that key until it starts taming. As for the not getting killed part, while you try taming some of these critters, you can either bring a friend along (to keep you healed and/or to invis you and/or to peace the creature) or build up your honor virtue and then honor yourself. When you honor yourself, it keeps monsters from attacking you. The higher your honor, the longer the effect lasts for.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
let us assume your asking about a Nightmare, Dragon (regular NOT Greater) and the White Wyrm. (Well heck a Hiryu, Sidhe and Dread War Horse).

You have two distinct ways to do this,

1) Use the Honor virtue (requires you to build it up). This prevents them from wanting to kill you ... for a while. (This is how I tame Greater Dragons now).

2) Beat / Down and / or peacemaking. I have a Peace Tamer. On anything short of the Greater Dragon, I can basically peace the MoB (using either an exceptional instrument OR (better) an instrument with the proper Slayer attribute for the MoB), and mostly stare at it while I tame it, Dragons and above will on occasion move forward but they move very very slowly and are easy to stay in front of. Well at least as long as they are peaced, then run up a few steps and re-peace them. IF they are Beat Down (say mostly to all red life line) they generally speaking will move slowly anyway and on occasion try to get away from you. When Peaced AND Beaten Down they generally are no problem (EXCEPT the Greater Dragon). This is how I prefer to do my Hiryu taming. Probably Cu Sidhe as soon as I get my Elf Tamer on the other account up to speed.