• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Swordsmanship] TEMPLATES FOR SWORD & SHIELD WARRIOR

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I wanted to get some input that others may have for any Sword (or Mace) and Shield warriors.

I have a few really epic heavily modded shields for melee fighters that I've been dying to put to use. Recently, I have dusted off my old "Paladin" character (who is also my Governor character for ATL Trinsic). So far, I haven't quite had the success I've wanted to with it. I changed skills around once or twice but only so-so results.

Current skills are the following:
105 Swordsmanship (120 with ring)
120 Tactics
120 Parrying
120 Chivalry
100 Necromancy
090 Resist Spells
065 Anatomy

At one point, I had 70 Healing and 95 Anatomy (with a +15 Anat ring to get to 110 total) instead of the Necromancy and 65 Anatomy.

Current set up is to leach back life in Vamp form (essentially a sampire without bushido). I have a full set of Cameos and elemental Radiant Scimitars for Whirlwind and elemental Broadswords for Armor Ignore. I have 212 Stam suit, all Bone/Studded for 55 LMC.

I am not married to Necromancy or Chivalry. Generally open to changing almost anything (except for adding Bushido and negating the shield), so figured I would post up to get some input to see if anyone had any other suggestions or comments on "Sword & Shield" templates that worked for them.

Tell me what you've got! :)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Commenting just to be able to follow the thread lol

I am still learning all the changes when it comes to warriors (love my tamers lol) so still carried Parry and shield on what has now evolved into my Sampire. It's temp was something along these lines at one point but was getting hit far too often even with 120 parry so I dropped the shield and added Bush. Once I switched to bush and dropped the shield it made a nice difference in a reduction of times I got hit. As a result I have not attempted any char with a shield since.. will follow along to see what others have found out, because just like you I miss having my shields...

Tectop

Journeyman

I am still learning all the changes when it comes to warriors (love my tamers lol) so still carried Parry and shield on what has now evolved into my Sampire. It's temp was something along these lines at one point but was getting hit far too often even with 120 parry so I dropped the shield and added Bush. Once I switched to bush and dropped the shield it made a nice difference in a reduction of times I got hit. As a result I have not attempted any char with a shield since.. will follow along to see what others have found out, because just like you I miss having my shields...
I been playing around with Necro verses healing with bandaids. I am leaning toward the aids for survivability but it's still open to me and to be fair I am more use to having the aids in my pack., like you I can never seem to get my warrior just the way I want him.
Good luck and stay safe

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have a sweet mace & shield paladin I use.
I will post the template tonight. And also a pure paladin to hunt Minax captains that works wonderfully.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I wanted to get some input that others may have for any Sword (or Mace) and Shield warriors.

I have a few really epic heavily modded shields for melee fighters that I've been dying to put to use. Recently, I have dusted off my old "Paladin" character (who is also my Governor character for ATL Trinsic). So far, I haven't quite had the success I've wanted to with it. I changed skills around once or twice but only so-so results.

Current skills are the following:
105 Swordsmanship (120 with ring)
120 Tactics
120 Parrying
120 Chivalry
100 Necromancy
090 Resist Spells
065 Anatomy

At one point, I had 70 Healing and 95 Anatomy (with a +15 Anat ring to get to 110 total) instead of the Necromancy and 65 Anatomy.

Current set up is to leach back life in Vamp form (essentially a sampire without bushido). I have a full set of Cameos and elemental Radiant Scimitars for Whirlwind and elemental Broadswords for Armor Ignore. I have 212 Stam suit, all Bone/Studded for 55 LMC.

I am not married to Necromancy or Chivalry. Generally open to changing almost anything (except for adding Bushido and negating the shield), so figured I would post up to get some input to see if anyone had any other suggestions or comments on "Sword & Shield" templates that worked for them.

Tell me what you've got! :)
As soon as you said 'with a shield' 4 or so templates seemed obvious to me. Two of them are Tamer hybrids. The other two are dexxers, one being a Fencer with Leafblades for Feint/AI, but tbh that's more of a 'I've never played a dexxer before and need easing in' option for someone who needs the defense. The main thing I would suggest for someone as experienced as you would be to switch to Mace using Maul/Hammerpick. The key difference when thinking 1 handers is Swords is the only real Whirlwind option, so if all you're using the character for was spawns then that's not a bad option. For pretty much everything else Double Strike/AI is the way to go.

I would go 4/6 Chiv (also fairly simple with a shield), 4/6 Ninjitsu, or Necro/SS.

So something like:
1) 120 Mace/Tact/Anat/Chiv/Parry, with 120 left for Ninjitsu or Resist. 4/6 casting.
2) 120 Mace/Tact/Anat/Ninjitsu/Parry, with 100 Necro. Leaves 20 points add some skill items and get either low Chiv (65) for convenience, or put it in SS to use some of the spells like Corpse Skin/Curse Weapon/Forms/Familiars. 4/6 casting for Mirror Images/going in and out of forms. Combine Blood Drinker with White Tiger Form?
3) 120 Mace/Tact/Anat/Parry/Necro/SS. I would probably build 100 LRC into the suit, use Command Undead to have a couple of Skeletal Dragons while you tank in Vamp or Wraith, easy to switch between using both with either an ethy mount or go gargoyle. Given that you also have Parry I would get 2/6 casting and play out of Prot.

Edit:
I'd also consider Music/Discord instead of Necro/SS on that third option. With HML you can keep Despair (can be set to target any resist)/Tribulation up and with Double Strike get what us Bards call 'Epic Number Scroll!'... ok, it's just me that calls it that but it still works!

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You can always hit the "watch thread" button at top right corner, too.

As soon as you said 'with a shield' 4 or so templates seemed obvious to me. Two of them are Tamer hybrids. The other two are dexxers, one being a Fencer with Leafblades for Feint/AI, but tbh that's more of a 'I've never played a dexxer before and need easing in' option for someone who needs the defense. The main thing I would suggest for someone as experienced as you would be to switch to Mace using Maul/Hammerpick. The key difference when thinking 1 handers is Swords is the only real Whirlwind option, so if all you're using the character for was spawns then that's not a bad option. For pretty much everything else Double Strike/AI is the way to go.

I would go 4/6 Chiv (also fairly simple with a shield), 4/6 Ninjitsu, or Necro/SS.

So something like:
1) 120 Mace/Tact/Anat/Chiv/Parry, with 120 left for Ninjitsu or Resist. 4/6 casting.
2) 120 Mace/Tact/Anat/Ninjitsu/Parry, with 100 Necro. Leaves 20 points add some skill items and get either low Chiv (65) for convenience, or put it in SS to use some of the spells like Corpse Skin/Curse Weapon/Forms/Familiars. 4/6 casting for Mirror Images/going in and out of forms. Combine Blood Drinker with White Tiger Form?
3) 120 Mace/Tact/Anat/Parry/Necro/SS. I would probably build 100 LRC into the suit, use Command Undead to have a couple of Skeletal Dragons while you tank in Vamp or Wraith, easy to switch between using both with either an ethy mount or go gargoyle. Given that you also have Parry I would get 2/6 casting and play out of Prot.

Edit:
I'd also consider Music/Discord instead of Necro/SS on that third option. With HML you can keep Despair (can be set to target any resist)/Tribulation up and with Double Strike get what us Bards call 'Epic Number Scroll!'... ok, it's just me that calls it that but it still works!
I always appreciate your input. It's good seeing you back on here... I'm going to be posting up a few more of these threads here and there over the next couple of weeks...

I like the suggestion of incorporating Ninjitsu into template somewhere. I've only ever used Ninja on one character (a fencer I built for PVP ages ago) and have yet to give it a full dedicated try in PVM.

While I had been using this character as my second spawner, the reality is that hardly anything tops the sampire for both survivability and solo-ability. So part of my post here was to diversify the template so I could get away from spawns a bit. Leaning toward doing some Blackthorn's and other Peerless... and probably bringing it to the Sorcerer's Dungeon event that is starting in a few days.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
OK, my macer template is:

120 mace
100 tactics
105 anatomy (115 with duellist's edge)
120 bushido
120 chivalry
55 parry (so I never parry a single blow and my shield lasts forever)
5 archery from despicable quiver, which completes the 300 skill points bonus
100 healing

I use blackthorn mace & shield skull cap, 25 DCI from clockwork leggings, the epaulette with 5 int and 3 HP, boots of escaping and this sweet, sweet shield:
upload_2017-9-30_15-42-14.png

I use this template to fight Dreadhorn, Navrey, Corgul, Cora Chief Paroxysmus and other peerless. I used her during the invasion successfully as well.
For Corgul and others that use blood oath, I start spamming confidence for the duration of the effect, as it resets the swing timer.
For the mastery, I go with macing 3. Stagger is such a powerful special attack that increases your survivability a lot.

Last edited:

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Semi-solo Osiredon with my 4xbard song and I swap out necro for healing. That is about it, leeches are still necessary for mana and stamina. I find honor and EOO still as important. Can't think of any use for a warrior template other than to fight bosses that my sampire can't. Would be good if we can use swords and shields warriors effectively one day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
In such case I think the shield is only for the extra stats...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
With 120 Bushido, no matter what your parrying you won't parry with a shield equipped
That is only there to total the 300 points for 10 mana reduction on the specials.
I value the shield stats more than those 55 skill points.

BearCorpse

Adventurer
If you don't need Parrying with shield, how about "Sword 120, bushido 100 and Poisoning 80" ?
Parasitic poison will be great healing source when you face creature not have cure.(most captains in blackthorn's dungeon can't cure and no poison resistance)
Parasitic poison's healing based on the damage before resisted by PR.
vlcsnap-4404-12-15-11h28m00s839.png

With Poisoning skill 60.0 – 100.0 you can inflict level 4 (with a chance of level 5)
Oh, This is also nice with level 4 poison.
I heard Anon at Shadowguard can't cure himself.

Last edited:

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you don't need Parrying with shield, how about "Sword 120, bushido 100 and Poisoning 80" ?
Parasitic poison will be great healing source when you face creature not have cure.(most captains in blackthorn's dungeon can't cure and no poison resistance)
*Jots down notes*

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The only problem I see with the poisoning idea is that you will have to keep killing Balrons from time to time to keep the karma high.
Otherwise, it is a lovely, lovely idea. Too bad it doesn't work with macing, I believe.

BearCorpse

Adventurer
I decide my skill sets based on contents.
In this case the choices of weapons are limited. And when I chose Bushido then I reject parrying.

non Slayable: Chiv and Bushido needed
Slayable: Chiv or Bushido based on weapon mods
It hits hard: Necromancy
Tainted life force: Healing
Spawning: Resist spells
Necromancy: Resist spells for player skill

Champion Spawn:Resist spell
ML bosses: Bushido and Chivalry. High anatomy for good blow.
Doom: Resist spell, Necromancy
Other content, if you want to know plz ask.

Most important role for parrying is special move mana reduction. So I recommend 80 parrying or 100 with jewels.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
really? i can not believe. but i wish it is true. because, also i have a good shield.
have a nice journey of britannia.
The shield I posted earlier on this thread has been my companion for well over 12 months and has been through countless Dreadhorn, Cora, Corgul fights and against a lot of balrons too, at the very least.
Not a single dent at it. :)

kalexpor

Adventurer
The shield I posted earlier on this thread has been my companion for well over 12 months and has been through countless Dreadhorn, Cora, Corgul fights and against a lot of balrons too, at the very least.
Not a single dent at it. :)
wow! it was true! my shield will last forever!(under the condition of not going into felucca.)

(and, it seems that luna is also a non-consensual pvp area.)
(and, it seems that even if in the consensual pvp area, it is possible to be involved in un-wanted combat.)

thank you very much for good information.

Last edited:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I can even post the shields I use with one of my sampires tonight. I do a lot of spawns every weekend with her and the shield has no dent to it.

Timmel87

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I can even post the shields I use with one of my sampires tonight. I do a lot of spawns every weekend with her and the shield has no dent to it.
Can confirm this! Got a 120 Mace Power Scroll this weekend and trying to copy Bealanks template because i like the extra stats on the shield. 88 Bushido and 60 Parry, shield still at 255/255.

Bealank can u tell us what weapons with what kind of mods you are using? Are u healing with bandages and HLL or with bandages/chiv?

Last edited:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I use Slayer, max HLL, max HLM and 34 HSL on my mauls and hammer picks.
I always try to have a 100% elemental maul for the slayer group. 100% energy for daemon (for balrons, mostly, good source of honour and fame), 100% fire for arachnid, repond and undead, 100% cold or poison for reptile.

I heal with HLL only against weaker mobs, throw a bandage when my HP is under 70% or when poisoned and I use orange petals to help with poison.
Against hard hitting mobs like dreadhorn I have a bandage always running. Once it finishes applying, I start applying another one.
And stagger is your friend. Throw it any time you can.

Tectop

Journeyman
I noticed not much mention of fencer what about a fencer Bushido with Shield templet
I got a 120 cancer now

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Any ideas?
Bushido really shouldn't be used with a Shield regardless of which particular melee skill, unless you're an advanced player and have some other way to mitigate the negative effects or REALLY need the mods from the shield. That was the purpose of this thread, atleast I had hoped.

I did have a Fencer with Tactics, Bushido, Ninjitsu, Poisoning, Hiding and Stealth. It was a good rogue template and semi-effective in PVP some time back... although my guess now is that it would struggle in PVP.

kalexpor

Adventurer
it was not true... my shield needs to be repaired. the durability was reduced.
maybe, the difference in aspect of property between your shield and my shield, made this difference.

and, luna is a consensual-pvp area, right now.

Ive been playing with this idea. I dont have exact numbers but I would think the template would be fun at least.

Mace
Tacts
Anat
Parry
Chiv
Focus
Mysticism

You could heal with Life Leech weap, Chiv, and Mysticism, focus does its part to help on Stam and Mana. 120 Parry gives you a 35% chance with a shield. So you have your basic Fighter template, but you are also running around with a Colossus, throwing out hail storms and cyclones and for any Oh **** moments you can always Mass sleep.

You could also drop Mace, and run Archery, which IMHO the idea of an archer is to not get hit, so lastly drop Parry for Resist, Healing, or Spellweaving.

Like I said Im just messing around with the idea, and i like the Mace Version better than the Archery.. but I dunno. Not sure if anyone else has tried it, but if so feel free to give some advice.

Orlac

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
View attachment 72794

Oh, This is also nice with level 4 poison.
I heard Anon at Shadowguard can't cure himself.

OT but how are you getting that log???

BearCorpse

Adventurer
Thanks for answering instead of me. But I'm not using Pinco's UI. I feel it decorative excess. So I'm using own customized UI with EC.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Following this thread as I really don't like Sampire as my Melee warrior choice.

After seeing the weavers at the recent event dungeon, i'm thinking wouldn't spellweaving be a good supplementary skill for a Mace Boarder?

Zane_Xander

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a swordsman that is very spread out, wearing +13 swords/tac/chiv/anat ring & brac. Am I missing out on DMI by doing it this way. this was they way I trained up, thinking I d would have to make a change later to a more tighter package. what do you all think.

upload_2018-5-1_10-8-49.png

Attachments

hirikawa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
OK, my macer template is:

120 mace
100 tactics
105 anatomy (115 with duellist's edge)
120 bushido
120 chivalry
55 parry (so I never parry a single blow and my shield lasts forever)
5 archery from despicable quiver, which completes the 300 skill points bonus
100 healing
I did some tests on TC today. Was fighting with Night Terror that does not have Slayer. Weapon Broadsword 100HML, 81HLL, 50HSL, 50HLA, 20DI

> Pure Paladin (120 Swords, 120 Chivalry, 120 Anatomy, 120 Tactics, 120 Parrying, 120 Healing) Broadsword + Shield (35% Parry Chance)
Due to lack of Slayer so i cannot reach 300 Damage Cap. Need to run out of fight and heal a lot.

> Bushido Paladin (120 Swords, 120 Chivalry, 120 Anatomy, 120 Tactics, 120 Parrying, 120 Bushido) Broadsword + no Shield (35% Parry Chance)
This is really good, but only until i got poisoned and until i miss 3 times in a row. Then i need to escape and heal which is not as easy as on Pure Paladin template. Maybe i need to get used to it, but i feel better survivability with 120 Healing.

Old Classic Sampires use 120 Bushido + 60 Parry. Which gives 22% Parry Chance on 2H Weapon.
It is the same as 60 Bushido + 120 Parry and it gives the 20% Parry Chance with 1H Weapon + Shield. So i did test it.

> Mix 1 (120 Swords, 120 Chivalry, 120 Anatomy, 120 Tactics, 120 Parrying, 60 Bushido, 60 Healing) Broadsword + Shield (20% Parry Chance)
60 Bushido worked not that bad, but 60 Healing is total waste of mod. Not enough Healing. Jewels with skills could help in this case.

> Mix 2 (120 Swords, 100 Chivalry, 100 Anatomy, 120 Tactics, 120 Parrying, 60 Bushido, 100 Healing) Broadsword + Shield (20% Parry Chance)
Does not work. Not enough damage output due to lowering skills.

> Mix 3 (120 Swords, 120 Chivalry, 120 Anatomy, 120 Tactics, 0 Parrying, 120 Bushido, 120 Healing) Broadsword + Shield (5% Parry Chance)
And this worked pretty well. Checked out Blackthorn Masters and it also worked there. I only used Honor and sometimes Confidence. Never thought of idea, because i did not found logic behind it. But i must admit this works, somehow. Will do more test. Thanks for sharing BeaIank!

Drawback is no 10 Mana Special Move reduction. Positive thing is that i can easily replace 120 Healing with 120 Parry and 120 Healing with 120 Necromancy for specific encounter.

Last edited: