• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Templates for Newbies ? Need suggestions badly !

C

chitrani

Hello everybody !

I'm planning on attending the Epic factions events :p Unfortunately, I couldn't PK a two year old. Seriously, I'm a dyed in the wool Trammie right now. I'm hopeful of *cough* persuading other Trammies to join this event too !

Could someone, suggest maybe two templates to try out ? Maybe a crafting or stealing one, and one active pk'er one? Given that there isn't alot of time to work up skills, and my clulessness, what all do you think might be a fairly survivable template? ( By survivable I mean, maybe one death every few minutes, instead of several deaths in one minute

Or at least a useful "Even the clueless can have fun in factions" one :p

Thanks a bunch !

Chitrani (who thinks getting exploded coudl be fun after all

C

chitrani

Thanks folks !

It's hard to tell what skills will help me survive or be useful to whatever faction I join. Now I've got a a start at least :p

G

In any big battles, the support characters can be key.

This means dismounters and mages.

A scribe mage is always useful in pvp, something like this:
120 mage/med/eval/resist/wrestle, 100 scribe

This character helps with fielding, healing, and synchronized dumps.

Dismounters are also very useful in group battles, once an enemy is dismounted, they are usually easy to kill.

Something like this:
120 archery/tactics/anat/ninja, 100 hide, 80 stealth, rest in med/focus.

Faction thieves, tinkers, trap removers, and detectors are also very helpful.

G

What kind of character do you play on your favorite Trammie guy? When getting into pvp I found it easier to stick with what I knew and liked the most. From there just try and tweak it a little here and there.

If you're just wanting to play a support role I'd go with something like this (not knowing your skill cap)...
100 hiding
100 stealth
100 stealing
100 ninja
100 resist
100 fencing
100 tactics

Basically you'd be there just to steal sigils and toss around a shuriken every so often. I say fencing/tactics so you could use Shadow Strike if needed. This template is very basic and as I said would really just be for stealing sigils. I'm sure with the majority wanting to go to pvp, thieves/detectors/remove trappers will be in short supply.

G

I would not recommend a stealthing character for someone looking to get into PVP. If you avoid fights then you will never improve. There is always going to be someone there to steal sigils so you would be a bigger help on a more PVP oriented character. You can be a big help casting fields or cross healing other faction members while in stat loss.

C

chitrani

Hehehehe. Thanks.

I've tried a bunch of different sorts of characters for my girls since returning to UO. My mages seem to work ok, and my Samurai is ..ok, but none of them ever got to Uber. LOL

I'm more into playing than winning, so I do silly things and getting blown up is perfectly ok, It just gets sort of stale if I do it more than say... 20 times in ten minutes? I spent alot of the Magincia Invasion standing at the docks healing and rezzing and plunking down band aids for people and pets, ( because I was buggy and so BAD at killing things , lol) so a supporting role is cool with me. I actually just want to participate and be part of the fun if that makes sense?

That said, this looks like a once in a lifetime chance at learning how to PvP...so I figured I'd take it, since, as I said, I couldn't PK a two year old :p

Besides, I always wanted a thief :p

Chitrani (thinking she's gonna have way too much fun with this

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
it was mentioned above.
and i wanna say it to ya again.

take what you play in tram and MAKE that work for you in factions.

you will allways have fun with what you know.

case in point.
years ago when i got into factions i was the blow up doll that got passed around all the time.
dieing all the time, uggh it was horrid.

then i took my pvm guy and took him in.
i started doing ok.
why?
cause i knew HOW to play him.

i didnt have to sit back for months on end and learn a new template.

also, simple is better.
i wouldnt recomend going in with a mage/necro/spellweaver.
keeping 108 spells in mind every second and trying to think which one would be good for that situation..... bah.

warrior, F1 double click.
tamer, all kill.
mage, EV, EV, field, flamestrike.

if ya wanna stay alive the longes and have fun.
go dog archer.

no one will see ya, and you can get in shots when your enemy is not wanting ya too.

(hide, stealth, ninja, archery, tacics ect ect ect)

when i started pvp, i went in with my tamer.
this was years ago.
back then there where no tamers in pvp.

over they years i have changed a few things and tweaked stuff and now i do pretty darned good.

it brings a smile to my face when i see people who i fight start to use my templates.

anyways, have fun, its allways a good learning time in factions.