• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Template Mage

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hi, i try to make a mage, but i dont know what skills are better.
Any suggestion?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Magery
Eval Intel

Are must have skulks.

Is this for pvm or PvP?

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
im new and maybe i play pvm for now.
in this shard what is the best playing?

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Magery
Meditation
Evaluate Intelligence

are the base magery skills.

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ok, this skill is primary.
I was trying to figure out what other skills you can add.
- Secondary skills for a pure magician
- Secondary skills for a mage generic pvm

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the great thing about UO. You can make whatever template you like!

Mage/tamer
Mage/mystic
Mage/necro
Mage/archer

Margery, eval, med, resist, wrestle/parry with scribe or alchemy.

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm looking at the ability "spellweaving" and I was wondering, it is a skill in itself, or is connected with Magery?
however...
anyway ... I'm looking for a template to make a mage pure.
I'm thinking about using
- Magery
- Eval Int
- Res Spell
- Med
how many other skills I can use? two?
- Inscription you can increase the damage, right?
- Archery, however, are forced to make the change weapon and waste time. There are weapons that make me cast?
- Wrestling helps me to defend myself?

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am a pure mage. And I mean none of that new fangled necro, spellweaving (beggars magic), mystic, boot you out of the mage hall magic! *laughs*
Straight honest magery the way it ought to be run mage!

Magery 120 - cause you don't want to fizzle your spells ever. Fizzling could cost you your life!
Evaluate Intelligence 120 - cause you want maximum spell effects. Are you a mage or not!
Meditation 120 - You can never have enough mana fast enough!
Inscription 100 - At GM level you gain 10% Spell Damage Increase on magery spells. And besides what mage can't write spells and spellbooks? Buying other peoples scrolls and spellbooks is just down right embarrassing for a pure mage.
Resist Magic 120 - Have to be able to shrug off the effects of a lot of your enemies spells! 44 natural resistances in everything wearing only a robe!
Focus 120 - Did I mention you can never have enough mana fast enough ever!

I don't ever carry a weapon.....EVER! Because if I am in hand to hand combat as a pure mage, I am in the wrong place! Its about mana and spell casting. Its about learning your spell ranges and timing to cast of every spell in your spellbook. By a fast ethereal llama! Because you are gonna want to cast and move fast! Always staying out of hand to hand!

If you want to use weapons then you are gonna need some sort of dexterity for stamina and swing rates! And to swing a weapon decent you are gonna need some tactics which now you are trading your valuable mage skills for warrior skills and you don't have room. And also most mage weapons lower your mage skill to use them! What?!! *blinks* Are you crazy!

So I made the choice to be best mage possible and focus! I'd rather have maximum intelligence and maximum strength! Why do I want max Intelligence? Because if you are paying attention YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH MANA EVER! *you should probably have this as a personal mantra tattooed on your body somewhere* And maximum strength means more hit points!

Everything else is about finding equipment that will enhance your casting ability as a mage and spell damage increase! Lower reagent cost. lower mana cost, mana regeneration, fast casting, fast cast recovery, mana increase, intelligence increase, casting focus, spell damage increase, etc!! More mana, more mana,more mana! Good luck and welcome to the mages guild!

Val Van Wolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I am a pure mage. And I mean none of that new fangled necro, spellweaving (beggars magic), mystic, boot you out of the mage hall magic! *laughs*

Magery 120 - cause you don't want to fizzle your spells ever. Fizzling could cost you your life!
Evaluate Intelligence 120 - cause you want maximum spell effects. Are you a mage or not!
Inscription 100 - At GM level you gain 10% Spell Damage Increase on magery spells. And besides what mage can't write spells and spellbooks? Buying other peoples scrolls and spellbooks is just down right embarrassing for a pure mage.
Resist Magic 120 - Have to be able to shrug off the effects of a lot of your enemies spells! 44 natural resistances in everything wearing only a robe!

I don't ever carry a weapon.....EVER! Because if I am in hand to hand combat as a pure mage, I am in the wrong place! Its about mana and spell casting. Its about learning your spell ranges and timing to cast of every spell in your spellbook. By a fast ethereal llama! Because you are gonna want to cast and move fast! Always staying out of hand to hand!

If you want to use weapons then you are gonna need some sort of dexterity for stamina and swing rates! And to swing a weapon decent you are gonna need some tactics which now you are trading your valuable mage skills for warrior skills and you don't have room. And also most mage weapons lower your mage skill to use them! What?!! *blinks* Are you crazy!

So I made the choice to be best mage possible and focus! I'd rather have maximum intelligence and maximum strength! Why do I want max Intelligence? Because if you are paying attention YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH MANA EVER! *you should probably have this as a personal mantra tattooed on your body somewhere* And maximum strength means more hit points!

Everything else is about finding equipment that will enhance your casting ability as a mage and spell damage increase! Lower reagent cost. lower mana cost, mana regeneration, fast casting, fast cast recovery, mana increase, intelligence increase, casting focus, spell damage increase, etc!! More mana, more mana,more mana! Good luck and welcome to the mages guild!

Val Van Wolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You convinced me, Lady Cat. I'm going to turn one of my mystic mages into a Pure Mage, starting today. Also going to print a copy of your post to remind me! Thank you so much !!!!

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You convinced me, Lady Cat. I'm going to turn one of my mystic mages into a Pure Mage, starting today. Also going to print a copy of your post to remind me! Thank you so much !!!!
Glad I could help. For mage equipment also start looking to find pieces with as much Spell damage increase as you can! Lots of spell damage increase along with the appropriate slayer spell book and even your level one magic arrow spell will start becoming deadly!

Dinurth

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Glad I could help. For mage equipment also start looking to find pieces with as much Spell damage increase as you can! Lots of spell damage increase along with the appropriate slayer spell book and even your level one magic arrow spell will start becoming deadly!
Returned/noob here also building a pure mage, what should I shoot for as far as spell damage increase goes? I have 100 LRC but only 37 spell damage increase. What's a good number to shoot for, 100, 200? Is there a cap?

Also is there a good place to farm for such equipment?

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Returned/noob here also building a pure mage, what should I shoot for as far as spell damage increase goes? I have 100 LRC but only 37 spell damage increase. What's a good number to shoot for, 100, 200? Is there a cap?

Also is there a good place to farm for such equipment?
There is no spell damage increase cap for player versus monster. There are caps for player versus player. Since I only use magery spells for combat I look for as much spell damage increase as I can possibly work into my equipment!

Many of the spell damage increase items are dropped as artifacts from bosses and are acquired over time from places like Doom Gauntlet, Abyss, Despise, Mondain Legacy Dungeons, etc... Some are crafted using ingredients from peerless bosses. Some can be found in dug up treasure chests or as loot from Message in bottles. Some are rewards for doing the Library Collection. Some are stolen by thieves. Others came from past global events and sadly need to be bought from someone or get lucky and find one at a collapsed house. In short spell damage items are found all over doing different quests, adventures, and crafting. So my advice is to have fun building your collection of items over time and work them into your equipment!

You can find out more about spell damage increase and a listing of items at http://www.uoguide.com/Spell_damage_increase

Dinurth

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
There is no spell damage increase cap for player versus monster. There are caps for player versus player. Since I only use magery spells for combat I look for as much spell damage increase as I can possibly work into my equipment!

Many of the spell damage increase items are dropped as artifacts from bosses and are acquired over time from places like Doom Gauntlet, Abyss, Despise, Mondain Legacy Dungeons, etc... Some are crafted using ingredients from peerless bosses. Some can be found in dug up treasure chests or as loot from Message in bottles. Some are rewards for doing the Library Collection. Some are stolen by thieves. Others came from past global events and sadly need to be bought from someone or get lucky and find one at a collapsed house. In short spell damage items are found all over doing different quests, adventures, and crafting. So my advice is to have fun building your collection of items over time and work them into your equipment!

You can find out more about spell damage increase and a listing of items at http://www.uoguide.com/Spell_damage_increase
Awesome, thank you so much for the info!

Santos

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like a stealth/nox/mage for PvM
120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Meditation
100 Scribe
100 Hiding
80 Stealth
80 Poison

Poison fields are great at spawns and stealth is awesome for getting keys. This is not a solo template.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have an oldschool Pure Nox Mage that does fairly well (particularly in PvP), and i haven't touched his template in well over a decade. He has 120 Magery/120 Eval/GM Med/GM Wrest/GM Resist/GM Inscrip/80 Poison. His Jewelry/Spellbook boost him to 120 Wrest/120 Resist.
Since he's a Focused Mage, he get's a 30% SDI PvP Cap (instead of the usual 15%), combine that with his 120 Eval and the innate +10% SDI from GM Inscrip (doesn't count against the PvP Cap), and his spells hit pretty damn hard, especially during a Curse.
Defensively, his 120 Wrest and 45% DCI protect him well against Dexxers, especially once you get the hang of toggling Disarm Punches between spell casts. Dexxers can't Disarm him. His 120 Resist+GM Inscrip gives his Magic Reflection a 100% Reflection Pool, allowing him to reflect even a FS, and the GM Inscrip gives him an innate 5% Casting Focus (doesn't count against 12% cap, so can reach 17% CF). His 80 Poisoning gives him good defense against poison status, and he can inflict DP with close range Poison casts or Poison Fields.

Last edited:

Ghost of Gramps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Wonderfully put. Thank you for your time in reminding us before we thought about being led astray.

iLLegal Means

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
pure mage ... with scribe (10% bonus with damage spells) and don't forget with poisoning...at GM poisoning you can cast DP poison fields.. or DP single cast which is pretty dang fun with mobs...

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Perhaps more important than supplementary magery skills are slayer spellbooks... All my pvm casters got a full set of the original 18 lesser slayer spellbooks (without sdi as mod.) The books are 0 stones, blessed and cost me less than 100k altogether while doing more damage on the right mob than a 50 sdi invasion book or super slayer sdi invasion book set which will cost you billions of gold. I actually made 18 hotkeys for the books but mostly use the equip last weapon hotkey during combat to switch between different slayers and my sdi spellbook.

Last edited: