• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

template issues

L

lwind

i have a mage/tamer
animal tamming 107 115 with ring
lore 110
eval 100
magery 100
med 100
resist 90 100 with ring
vet 110

most templates i see don't have resist . i do like resisting poison and mana drains when i'm tameing but would i be better to drop it and pick up spell weaving or parrying or something

O

Old Man of UO

Actually, you have quite a few good options, depending on what you want to do and what you like to do... like is probably the most important.

If you can afford the scroll, the first thing I would do is get a 120 taming scroll, and jewel up the skill to 120. If not, 115 is almost as good for most pets. Not necessary, but nice to have.

Keep the resist if you Pvp, but drop it otherwise... there are other ways to make up for it.

Spellweaving is good, but if you are human you can get the JOAT benefits without skill points.

Ever thought about a nox mage? 100 poisoning skill and you can do a lot of additional damage with the poison spell.

Parry... ehh... it didn't do much for me, but should help if you like to stand next to your pet for vetting. But I prefer to hold a good spell book with mana regen and a wooden shield with HP regen and defence chance, and swap both of those out for my swords of prosperity or SC/Mage weapon bow when needed.

Inscription might be another choice too for additional spell damage... I've never used it so can't remember the details.

I would choose either spellweaving or the poisoning skill, but other people might have other advise. Either way, save your resist skill on a stone before changing it out.

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally I really like having Magic Resist in my template(s). All spellcasters love casting de-buffs, poison and paralize... I hate that! GM resist gives you a good level of protection against casters.

Inscription gives you 10% SDI (spell damage increase) for 100 skillpoints. Which is nice but you can easily get 10% SDI from items or even by adding a few skillpoints to eval. No, inscription is a waste of skillpoints in my opinion.

Poisoning is a nice skill to have but whether or not the extra damage is worth 100 skillpoints, I'm not sure. This might be worth a try.

Parry is a warrior's second line of defence. It blocks up to 38% (not entirely sure of that number) of all attacks that get past the first line of defence; a weaponskill. Weaponskills, depending on your skill level and your oppenent's, can have a much higher chance of blocking attacks.
Therefore, if you want to add defensive capabilities to your character you would be much better off going with a weaponskill (or wrestling).

Spellweaving, I like spellweaving a lot. It gives you a couple of nice extra options, both offensive and defensive. If you can provide for it's mana-hunger then it's certainly worth the skillpoints.

Which skill(s) to go for depends entirely on your playstyle. Next time you play your tamer try figure out where you need improvement. If you die a lot then a defensive skill might be good, otherwise go for something offensive.

O

Old Man of UO

Therefore, if you want to add defensive capabilities to your character you would be much better off going with a weaponskill (or wrestling).
This is the only part of your post I disagree with. If you want defensive capabilities, you get a Sword of Prosperity to use with a mage (-0 Mage Weapon) and use the 100 points some place else.