• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Template Help for an Old Newbie

Buddy Lee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Guys,

So I returned to the game about 3 months ago after about 6 years of not playing at all and about 8 years since I played with any sincerity. So to say that I'm a bit outdated is an understatement.

I basically had to start from scratch because I got rid of my old accounts last time I quit. So I spent the last 3 months trying to get up to speed an building a few of my standard characters. Warrior, Tamer/Mage and a Crafter.

After this past weeks revert, which made me loose about 6 points of Carpentry and a few other slow gaining skills. I decided I was tired of working carpentry and I was going to build a Mage. I've gotten a pretty good start but now I'm just confused on where to go from here. Currently my skills are as follows:

100 Med
100 Focus (Not sure I want to keep this, it was just a side effect of using mana)
100 Resist
94 Eval
90 Magery (Scrolled to 110)
61 Inscription (I might end up moving this to a different Char but wanted it as a support skill.)
43 Wrestling

Back in the day I played a number of different Mages including Scribe Mage, Stun Mage and Parry Mage. I very lightly played a Necro Mage when that first came out but never really got into it. Now that I'm back there are all these new skills and I keep hearing people say that the standard old school mages are not useful anymore. I've spent some time reading over statics guides on Mysticism and Spell Weaving which just left me more confused. Probably the can't teach an old dog new tricks thing. I've also tried to read through a number of the template threads here but those also just added to the confusion.

About my play style. I'm definitely not a power gamer and I probably won't ever have a 120 skill. Unless I start doing champ spawns at some point. The 110 scrolls are about the only thing I can afford. I don't care about having the "Best" character I just want something that I can play with that gives me a fair bit of flexibility and that I won't get my butt handed to me. I also don't care about soloing bosses. Basically I just want to be able to play and enjoy the game and have the option to do a champ or boss spawn with a group if I choose.

I pretty much gave up on PvP after I think it was AoS when everything became item based. Mostly, because I'm not a power gamer and had no desire to gather all those items. Even now I have my imbuer and if it's something he can't make I don't really need it. I make generally make do with good enough. I did splurge on 3 items after the revert just to make myself feel better so I now have a Staff of the Magi for my tamer so he won't get disrupted all the time when surrounded by monsters. I also picked up a shield of Invulnerability and a Tome of Lost Knowledge for my new Mage because I saw them on a vendor and they looked cool. /item tangent off...

I may consider PvP at some point so I'd like my template to be a little flexible. That is if I can ever get over the insurance cost associated with PvPing. I tend to be a cheap ******* and 4-5k per death adds up quick. So since non-item based PvP is no longer an option and neither is loosing 2-10mil worth of gear every time you die. I guess insurance really is the only other option.

I would kind of like to play with what I know and don't really want to learn a totally new play style. So I'm thinking about some sort of Mage hybrid or maybe a Necro Mage. I think Mysticism and SW are probably going to be out for me based on what I've read about them so far it just seems like way too much work.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Are old school mages really under powered at this point?

Thanks,

Buddy

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am finding that going "straight mage" is not the way to go. You really need Necro, SW, mystic or SOMETHING to support the mage. I have a Necro/Mage and she is pretty much a blast to play if you learn the spells, what they do and when to use them. Magery alone seems to be the one way to get you killed everytime lol I also love my SW though. My favorite characters are my tamer/peacing and my archer. I don't PVP so I can't help you down that road, but good luck in whatever you choose.
My Necro/Mage has 115 Eval, 115 Magery, 115 Med, 120 Necro, 115 Resist and 120 SS

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
IMO, a pure mage is still viable to use if you don't plan to solo the nastiest monsters out there.
I have one with 120 mage/med/eval/resist/wrestle and 100 scribe.

I know that 120 mage can be pretty expensive, so try to get a 115 at least, as you will find that sometimes you need to drop two energy vortexes to take the heat out of you long enough.

With a mage like that, you will want to pack tons of SDI. As much as you can find.
Since you aren't PvPing yet, run protection 24/7 and save two slots on your jewels by dropping faster casting from it.
Also, your suit doesn't have to be all 70s. Try to have 80 physical (-10 from protection with GM scribe, so 70), 70 fire and 70 energy. The others are often optional.

If you are human, get yourself a full necro book and scribe a few wraith form scrolls. You will be able to cast with JOAT.
Wraith form + slayer books + SDI means you will be getting at least 10 mana back every spell you cast at your enemy, which helps a lot with mana.

You won't be able to solo champs with this build, but few of the mini spawns at the underworld will prove to be too troubling, and you'll be able to crush greater dragons with some ease.

Just my two cents.

Buddy Lee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the input guys, I decided to play around with Necromancy a little. So far I like it although I still have a long way to go.

Anybody have any suggestions on what are good tactics for a Necro Mage?