• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Temp Advice

G

Hello all, new mage/tamer here.
I was wondering if anyone could post there template for tamer/mage so I can test and see which is right for me.
So far here are the skills I'm thinking I'll need.

Taming
Lore
Vet
Magery
Eval Int
Meditation
Resist

Any tips or advice will be helpful.

I

imported_Leto

The template you posted with skills at/around GM is the most standard tamer/mage template and it's a good one. Pretty versatile and decent survivability.
It might be worth concidering Spellweaving instead of Resist.

G

What would the benefits of spellweaving over resist be? I don't know much about it.

I

imported_Leto

Well, as you probably know: Magic Resist offers protection against poison, curses and paralisis. Pretty usefull indeed but you can get by without in PvM.
Spellweaving gives you acces to 16 new spells. It's probably best if you had a look at the all the available spells yourself. The most usefull ones to a tamer are: Gift of Renewal, Attunement, Wildfire, Ethereal Voyage, Word of Death, Gift of Life and Arcane Empowerment.

Gift of Renewal: This spell will heal some damage every few seconds for 1 to 5 minutes. Amount healed and duration depend on your arcane focus. Very usefull spell.

Attunement: Absorbs damage done to the caster. Cast this before entering a dungeon/room and the first few blows won't hurt as much. Very usefull and a much under-appreciated spell.

Wildfire: Basicly acts like a much bigger firefield. Again very usefull.

Ethereal Voyage: While under the effects of this spell monster will not attack you. Duration is fairly short and the re-cast timer is long. Still this spell is quite usefull for example when quickly passing through a hostile area.

Word of Death: This is the spell most people want Spellweaving for in the first place. Under the right conditions casting this spell on a monster can do in acces of 500 damage. Very very powerfull.

Gift of Life: Cast this on yourself or bonded pets and, for the duration of the spell, upon death you will be able to instantly ressurect. I find this to be mostly usefull for pets as it enables them to get back into the fight very quickly.

Arcane Empowerment: Cast this spell to increase the power of your damaging spells and effectiveness of healing spells.

And here's a little secret: The combination of Gift of Live and Gift of Renewal, backed by a high focus and high-end pets, is so effective I run one of my tamers without vetting. Just make sure to cast Gift of Life before entering a dangerous area and if your Greater Heals can't keep up with the damage use Gift of Renewal and Arcane Empowerment.

G

Sounds a lot like my first tamer's original mage template. It'll work fine.

My mage currently runs a stealth template:
120 tame, lore & vet
100 magery, eval & hiding
60 stealth (+ skill items to top-up)

She swaps eval with herding depending what she needs to do.

Wenchy

J

joblackjon

Personally I think a Disco/Tamer is the most powerful of the Tamer templates.

With Soul Stones no template is engraved in stone. Try out different combos.

G

My tamer uses music/peace. To ro sooth the angry beasts that he fails to tame.

K

KakaJoe

I started my mage/tamer about 6 weeks ago with that exact template. However, I found I'm missing Resist terribly when every silly magic caster from reaper to gargoyle can para/poison me and render my magery useless. It gets worse against higher magic casters who can para/poison/flamestrike me before I can heal myself and my pets can finish them off. I've substituted my GM Med for armor of MR 13 and am building Resist back into my template. I don't miss the meditation at all, since I'm concentrating most of my efforts on my vetting in battle and use magery as backup (throwing flamestrikes/energy bolts) to my pets damage. This is just my experience so far -- I've soulstoned my meditation but doubt I'll go back.
However, if I had to do it all again, I'd strongly consider building a necro/tamer or work the spellweaving in ... may want to study that before committing to the traditional mage/tamer.

G

This is the way my main template will look when It is done:

120 Tame/Lore/Vet
110 Magery
GM EI/Hiding
80 Stealth

Of course this will need jewels to accomplish.

Also my mana pool as it stands is 160 and I NEVER run dry. I help my pets with damage or healing as needed (more damage because it is fun), but it is rare to run into the red on mana with a pool that large.

Building your armor suit and addons is paramont. Mine looks like this:

Resists:
Phy 70
Fire 67
C 70
P 56
E 73 I am elf

LRC 100
LMC 29
SDI 36
FCR4
FC2

There are some other minor mods but not worth naming. I do not have any major arties in this suit some minors but the bulk comes from barbed armor.

I die more trying to farm Hiryu's than I do hunting.......

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
What template is most effective will depend on what you want to do with your tamer. If you want to farm pets, then 120 taming is almost a necessity, and the most effective "pure" tamer for farming pets is probably a peace tamer.

If you are making a pure pvm (player vs. monster), then the most powerful template is probably a discord tamer, and if you aren't going to be farming pets, you can probably drop your taming down to 110 and use the extra points somewhere else.

If you want to be a pvp tamer, then probably the most effective pvp tamers out there are archer tamers, or mage tamers.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need to have 120 taming, lore and vet, if you want to be an effective tamer. While you really should have 120 taming if you want to farm pets, 120 vet and lore isn't that much better than 110, and you would probably be better off to use those points somewhere else. If you need the extra stable slots, carrying around jewels that will get you to 120 in each is a simple thing.

However, if you are going to be a pvp mage tamer, 120 evaluate intelligence is a must, and I would recommend that your spell resist be at least 100. High magery is nice, but you can get away with having GM magery and still be an effective mage in pvp.

If you want to do everything with your tamer, then probably the mage tamer is your most flexible choice, but you will want to put some points into meditation, even if you have high mana regen, if you aren't human. My mage tamer is an elf and I have found that the 20 points I put into meditation are a must.

If you are going to be a discord or peace tamer, then having 120 music and 120 discord or peace will be more important than having 120 vet or animal lore. Spellweaving and chivalry can both be very useful, if you can squeeze the points into your template. If you choose chivalry for remove curse, then you will want to put 55 points into that to make sure you won't fail.

If you are going to pvp with your tamer, then your "suit" (what you wear) will be as important as your template choices. Expect to put a lot of time, effort, and gold into putting together your suit if you intend to be an effective pvp'r.

And of course if you want to do well as a tamer, you will have to expect to put a lot of time and effort into finding the right pets, and training them. If you aren't going to tame them yourself, you will have to be very choosy when it comes to buying them. If you are going to go get them yourself, expect to put a lot of time and effort into farming for pets.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I should add, you could probably make a pretty effective pvp tamer template with spell weaving or necromancy as well, and spellweaving can be very effective in a pvm template as well.

G

Well I'm not really interested in farming pets, or doing any PvP. Basiclly, I want to see my cu (or whatever I'm using at the time) run in and eat things, while I heal it (if needed). Grab the loot and move on to the next one. So far, I have a most of the "normal" pets. Dragon, ww, mare, cu and such.
Just wondering if anyone else has a temp suited for this type of play, because I can't seem to settle on one, lol.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well for that, I'd say your best template is a discord tamer. Something like this:

110 Taming
110 Lore
100 Vet
120 Music
120 Discord
105 Spellweaving
55 Chivalry

I think this would be a pretty kickass pvm template. Lots of options for healing and pet survivability, curse removal, sacred journey (will sometimes fail), gift of renewal and gift of life, etc. And probably with some decent jewels you can easily pump up your vet to 110 so you will fail rez attempts less often and if you can manage another 5 points in extra skills, you can squeeze out 110 spellweaving, which would also be a good thing. 15 extra points in skills isn't hard to manage.

I would go with a human character so you get that 20 in meditation, which will be important. That together with some decent mana regen and lmc should prevent mana from becoming too much of an issue.

G

Gilla

Greetings,

I thought I would throw in my 2 cents on this topic.

I have 2 tamers on Great Lakes.

A Peace Tamer:

120 Tame
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Music
120 Peace
115 Magery

With my luck suit on I can go most places and kill just about anything for loot. With a Mana regen suit on I can take down Para Ballies (using aids and Greater Heals) with my Cu.

My Other tamer is a Mage/Spellweaving tamer.

( ) = assisted with Jewelery

100 Tame (110)
90 Vet
110 Lore
110 Magery
102 Spellweaving *raising
100 Med
100 Eval

This guy I take to Doom and on Peerless hunts for the damage he deals out is awesome. I use a Mare / Rune combo mostly. With Spellweaving hitting a Dark Father for 315 - 477(Word of Death). Like I said, he deals out a lot of damage. I do not normally have to use aids to heal my pets on the peerless bosses. Simply heal with Greater Heals. Casting Gift of Life on yourself and your pets can greatly cut down on your down time.

One good thing about being a Tamer is the different specs you can be. You just need to decide which you like best, Build a suit or two for the spec and enjoy playing. I like them both so I made 2

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
That is the great thing about UO, it seems there are just about as many templates as there are players who play the game. The trick is to find something that suits your playstyle, that you find fun to play, and develop it.

One thing that I've found is if you find some amazing piece of equipment, you can use that as a basis to build your template around. I found an incredible 3/1 ring with +15 taming, a long time ago, and basically I built my template around that. Everything else in my template can be replaced, including my crimson cincture, but I've never seen another ring like that one (3/1 casting, 50ish luck, 15 taming, 6 med).

edit: Looking at my suggestion for a template, I was thinking it would be great for Doom and peerless, but I think the range on close wounds is somewhat limited, so healing your pet vs. mobs with area of effect damage could be a problem. You would probably have to have a mage or two with you cross healing to keep your pets alive.

I

imported_zeroshade

Heres my template i take to fight peerless

115 taming (120 when i get a scroll)
120 vet
120 lore
110 magery
120 med
107 spellweaving

I use spellweaving for:
essence of wind which slows down peerless casting
Gift of Life - inevitable we will die during peerless
Gift of Renewal - Healing pulse sweet spell imo
Word of Death - For finishing it off at lvl 4 you can start hitting the bosses when they have 7-8k hp left

I ocassionally use wildfire inbetween essence of wind

G

what do you mean "at level 4" for word of death? Sadly, sw is something im not familiar with at all

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It's something called "focus" for spellweavers. You stand inside a magic cirle (arcane circle or pentagram) with other spellweavers that are close in skill to you (either 10 or 20 points), and you cast a spell (arcane focus? can't remember the name of that either...), and you gain power in your spells based on how many other spellweavers are in the circle with you - 1 "level" per spellweaver up, I think, to five. A spellweaver with level five focus is a very powerful spell caster...

G

115 Animal Lore (120 with library talisman)
105 Animal Taming (110 with library Talisman)
100 Magery (110 With Spellbook)
100 Resisting Spells
90 Meditation (armor has 100LRC and 6 Mana regen)
110 Vet
100 Evaluating Intelligence

Resisiting spells also gives base resistance's without armor which is useful. Does really good no matter what your fighting and I rarely ever die. I wanted to use spellweaving but just cannot give up resisting spells for it no matter how lucrative it seems.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

Resisiting spells also gives base resistance's without armor which is useful.

[/ QUOTE ]That's where that comes from!!! I was wondering why some of my characters had resists even when they were wearing no armour. Thanks for clearing that up.

G

Another nice feature of Resisting Spells is not being paralyzed. My 1-2 second para's are much better than those 10 second paras. It means life or death. Base resistances are good if you are attacked right after being rezed....My base resistances are like pretty high and have saved my bottom a few times.

I

imported_Leto

And don't forget being able to resist the poison spell, that helps a lot too.

Also, the most recent publish made the effects of Blood Oath partly resistable. I believe at 120 resist you'll be able to resist 70% of the damage reflected back to you by Blood Oath.