• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

TAXES!!!! AUUUUGH!!!!

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
omg is that time of year.... i almost forgot.... whipped onto TaxAct - and they seem to have similar account woes as a certain gaming conglomerate!

so, bounced over to TurboTax... wow... BOTH my federal and state returns are free to file there! that's kewl! guess i'm changing services now!

and... wow... i get money back!

i am amazed.

now, i think i will go to bed and sleep easier.

don't forget ppl... taxes are due soon!!!

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
it wasn't by choice, believe me... had to wait for a client to send me 1099.... o.0

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never understand why people wait to the last minute..
yah, I never could either until I got to the place where I still owed them money at tax time..... these are the same people that made me wait nearly a year for a form so I could settle an estate, so uhh... yeah, not payin' til I have to ;)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Tax returns bring bad memories for me....a few years ago the IRS audited me, I fought it, eventually I won and proved that they were wrong. Two weeks later they audited me again. They were still wrong, but it would have cost more to fight it again than it was worth. I'm completely sure if I fought it and won again they would have done it a 3rd time....they said it was random selection....pfft sure it was lol. :thumbdown:

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
oh! i was audited once... worst invasion of privacy EVEH!
and yeah, i won... and yeah, i went through it another 4 times before they finally left me alone. o.0

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Tax returns bring bad memories for me....a few years ago the IRS audited me, I fought it, eventually I won and proved that they were wrong. Two weeks later they audited me again. They were still wrong, but it would have cost more to fight it again than it was worth. I'm completely sure if I fought it and won again they would have done it a 3rd time....they said it was random selection....pfft sure it was lol. :thumbdown:
RNG

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Take it from a CPA: If you're being audited, then going forward, you should use a service such as H&R Block or Jackson Hewitt. Yes, they will probably charge you a few hundred dollars, but its worth it. Buy the "peace of mind" protection (usually only an additional $35-$50) when you get your return finished, and if you get audited or have to go to court, H&R Block will do it virtually free of charge (as long as you didn't lie or intentionally leave any information out). I'm a CPA and I still have H&R Block do my taxes every single year. It's worth every penny.

Also... Turbo Tax got majorly hacked this year. A lot of people had information stole. Do. Not. Use. It.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
When last I used "the block" - that is when I was audited... and the subsequent four times also after going to different offices of the block. I will not go to the block again. Maybe Hewitt - but should I trust a tax office that sets up temporarily in WalMart? :eyes: I dunno....

Personally, I will elect @old gypsy as empress and let her abolish the whole IRS system! Yeah... i like that! :banana:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Actually (although I realize it will never happen) I think only individual states should be able to tax individuals that live within their borders; and then the state governments could pay a fair portion of the taxes they've collected to the federal government.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Actually (although I realize it will never happen) I think only individual states should be able to tax individuals that live within their borders; and then the state governments could pay a fair portion of the taxes they've collected to the federal government.
Interesting concept.... hrm, maybe I'll have my baby sister write some letters. Everytime that woman writes a letter, something in the world changes. :eek2:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Interesting concept.... hrm, maybe I'll have my baby sister write some letters. Everytime that woman writes a letter, something in the world changes. :eek2:
After the tax solution, my next act as "empress" would be to disband the U.N. :D

Needless to say, none of my schemes are likely to succeed. :naughty-angel:

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
When last I used "the block" - that is when I was audited... and the subsequent four times also after going to different offices of the block. I will not go to the block again. Maybe Hewitt - but should I trust a tax office that sets up temporarily in WalMart? :eyes: I dunno....

Personally, I will elect @old gypsy as empress and let her abolish the whole IRS system! Yeah... i like that! :banana:
I would recommend using an accountant. One with a permanent location. These are the people who generally do the accounting and taxes for the local businesses, and as such have kind of seen it all. And with a tax system where the rules change often and without notice, and the IRS makes frequent mistakes, it is money well spent. Plus, it's hard to put a price on the peace of mind that comes with being able to say "here, this came from the IRS. Take care of it".