• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tanking Triton with Feint, just that or else would be OK too ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A question to the more experienced Tamers out there....

I seem to understand that, when it comes to wanting pets do something, the less specials one puts in their training, the better....

That is, if more specials are put on a pet, then the pet starts doing else and does less what one wants the pet to do...

That said, for a Tanking Triton which would also be capable to do some damage, is it really the best thing to do to focus only on high Hit Points and only Bushido and Feint or, should the Triton spawn with high intensity to permit something else, would it be advisable to put also something on it like Armor Ignore or something else to also help with damage done ?

What about the Masteries ? For example the wrestling mastery considering that a Triton can spawn with Wrestling overcapped ? Would that make sense ?

The UO Cah Web site has a Triton training Guide at Triton Training Guide | uo-cah.com and, when discussing a Feint Triton, they say :

As tempting as it may be, do not add Armor Ignore or any other abilities to the pet. You want Feint and only Feint to be used as much as possible.
So, by only and strictly adding Feint, there is simply not a chance to have a good Tanking Triton that would "also" be able to deliver "some" decent damage even if not as much as a chivalry/AI would ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I suspect that what the uo-cah site means is that the spec specific for tanking is the feint. It will not be a max damager for the big things you want it, but it would tank and stay tanking and alive with Feint alone. Like Scalis or Corgul. It will keep Feint on and tank almost indefinitely, so that a group can keep attacking the boss, that is busy with the tanking pet. So less abilities is better. Also you can adjust the resists of this pet to fit the strongest damage of the boss. It will be a specialized pet.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suspect that what the uo-cah site means is that the spec specific for tanking is the feint. It will not be a max damager for the big things you want it, but it would tank and stay tanking and alive with Feint alone. Like Scalis or Corgul. It will keep Feint on and tank almost indefinitely, so that a group can keep attacking the boss, that is busy with the tanking pet. So less abilities is better. Also you can adjust the resists of this pet to fit the strongest damage of the boss. It will be a specialized pet.
Thank you.

Yet, if some would put "something else" besides Feint to allow at least some decent damage, would it totally destroy the pet's ability to Tank because then Feint would not be trigger all the time ?

Or would it make the pet one that is still a decent Tanker but also a decent damager ?

@Pawain , in this post here Triton Builds , mentions a Triton with Feint and Armor ignore. Not sure, if it also has Bushido and/or Chivalry....

Does adding the Armor Ignore make it a lesser Tank so much that it then cannot sustain an endure fight self healing ?

And what about Magic Skills ? Would Bushido, and/or Chivalry be something acceptable to get more decent damage on a pet primarily intended to work as a Tank ?

Thanks.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you just put feint the pet is not going to do very much damage. Also the pet is not going to constantly use the ability. It is still going to do its normal attack.

Mine has AI/feint/chivalry. All of those are good things for the pet to have. It uses its defense and its offense is also like defense, whenever it hits the target hard the target loses stamina.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you can't have it both ways. Either your pet is super tanky against really high end monsters or it will be dishing out lots of damage.
The one thing I would add to a feint triton is probably discordance because once applied the pet won't use mana for further discord attemps and thus has all the mana for feint. I do not know, however, if the pet wastes mana by attempting discordance on monsters that can't be discorded like exodus.
Has anyone ever tried that?

Zorminius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I do not know, however, if the pet wastes mana by attempting discordance on monsters that can't be discorded like exodus.
Has anyone ever tried that?
Can’t say for certain, but I will assume yes. I say that because when training discord on my triton, and it’s skill is so low that it has no chance at success against any real opponent, it wastes mana attempting to discord. So, I am assuming the same would apply for monsters it has no chance to discord when it is at 120 skill. Could be wrong, just my hunch.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Pets arent waisting mana trying to discord since it also can get gains from failed attempts. And if the oppenent can't be discorded it think it won't try at all.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
did you test it? or are you assuming?
They try all the time in Eodon on things that have 160 Barding. They gain in Discord whether they have success or not. I doubt they are smart enough to not use discord on things that cant be discorded. A pirate would be something easy to test that on. Maybe pets can read that message so they dont try again. :devil:

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
My thinking was that it could be in the code, so the ai knows that it can't discord.

Zorminius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
While on the topic of a feint triton, uo-cah says to use the standard build for Str/Dex/Int, and put on 120s on everything but tactics; use a 110 for that instead.

If you aren’t going for damage output, why not keep strength lower, and pump up int as high as possible to help with MR.

Also, why not keep tactics and anatomy at 100, points could be used towards HP instead, plus saves you money.

I likely made a mistake with my Triton, gave it Disco, Feint, and AP (was thinking the added damage buff would help others). Not sure how much it uses feint, but it was able to solo the Stygian Dragon (took a while) with only my tamer casting greater heal, didn’t run consume. So, maybe a compromise between being a tank and having some damage output?

Thoughts?