• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tanking Cu

Mahler

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hello,

So, I was thinking of building a tanking Cu that I had little concern about it's damage output. I'm not concerned with keeping the mob/mobs on the Cu (which DPS may be a factor), and the pet healing itself as much as possible to lessen the need for attention for people in the group. I was thinking of maxing HPs, dex, resists (based upon the mob this is for, likely making a 80% poison resist one and a different 80% cold resist one), setting healing, wrestling, parry, anat, and resist to 120. Would I still need or rather want to put a magic on this? Also, as I understand it, steal life isnt' all that great. Any recommendations? I was also considering leveling a Ram for the same purpose: tanking.

Bithmus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm curious about this as well except I was thinking of building a Triceratops because I want a Triceratops.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What are you fighting that a Cu with running consume is not a tank?

Mahler

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I currently do not have a bonded Cu, so I do not have experience fighting anything with one.

I was hoping for a Cu that was more tanky without requiring consume, as I do not have a suit that supports that + offensive spells.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I currently do not have a bonded Cu, so I do not have experience fighting anything with one.

I was hoping for a Cu that was more tanky without requiring consume, as I do not have a suit that supports that + offensive spells.
Bond the one you have and make a bandage follower and G heal macro. Then you will need consume less.

This tamer has +4 Mregen on most armor pieces.

upload_2019-1-21_14-49-26.png

He has no Cus and can run consume and cast till I'm bored.

Try the unbonded one before you ruin the other.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Hello,

So, I was thinking of building a tanking Cu that I had little concern about it's damage output. I'm not concerned with keeping the mob/mobs on the Cu (which DPS may be a factor), and the pet healing itself as much as possible to lessen the need for attention for people in the group. I was thinking of maxing HPs, dex, resists (based upon the mob this is for, likely making a 80% poison resist one and a different 80% cold resist one), setting healing, wrestling, parry, anat, and resist to 120. Would I still need or rather want to put a magic on this? Also, as I understand it, steal life isnt' all that great. Any recommendations? I was also considering leveling a Ram for the same purpose: tanking.
In most cases you can get a Cu, 120 all skills, and add magics. Armor ignore and Chivalry is highly recommended. You don't have to sacrifice magic in order to get scrolls on a Cu, unless you tame a really horrible one.

The Steal Life ability sucks.
The Life Leech ability, which only necro type pets can get, is awesome.

If you haven't made one yet, pretty much everyone here will recommend you make an AI/Chiv Cu. They're a great pet for someone just getting into taming and will give you a good feel for what pets can do.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
If you really want to go tanky, we'd say add Feint (and thus automatically Bushido) to it. Both our Giant Beetle and our Lion with that do very well tanking bosses and crowds, mostly. The Lion obviously much better with his healing.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Consume Damage only works against Physical Damage. It does nothing for Fire/Cold/Poison/Energy damage. Against something like a Para Cu, which does 50% Cold/50% Energy, both Empowerment and Consume Damage do nothing. Berserk will work against that, but only for 8 seconds, then a 60 second cooldown (bleh).

For a pure Tank Cu, Feint. At GM Bushido, Feint will reduce the damage the Cu takes by 41% for 6 secs. At 120 Bushido, it'll reduce it by 50% for 6 secs. Combine this with a Cu's self healing capability, and they're extremely tanky. Go for a Cu with high Health and 70 Cold/85 Energy Resist for this build.

The Saurosaurus is another Extreme Tank pet. They can spawn with up to 85 Physical/90 Fire Resist, and come with Life Leech. Insanely tanky against most foes (especially most Dragon types). You can't add any more Specials on a Saurosaurus though.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Consume Damage only works against Physical Damage. It does nothing for Fire/Cold/Poison/Energy damage.
I know it says that but I have used it on some things that do not do physical damage and the HP regen goes higher than 20. Also it has another benefit that is useful.

But mainly wanted to know his intended target to have better input. Maybe he was fighting a captain or a 100% elemental mob.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
The Saurosaurus is another Extreme Tank pet. They can spawn with up to 85 Physical/90 Fire Resist, and come with Life Leech. Insanely tanky against most foes (especially most Dragon types). You can't add any more Specials on a Saurosaurus though.
It's probably the best tank pet in the game right now. Unfortunately its damage output kind of sucks. I wish so bad we could put AI/Chiv on a Saurosaurus. I like the way they look and the resists are awesome.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I know it says that but I have used it on some things that do not do physical damage and the HP regen goes higher than 20. Also it has another benefit that is useful.

But mainly wanted to know his intended target to have better input. Maybe he was fighting a captain or a 100% elemental mob.

I have yet to see ANY indication that the "Physical Damage only" bit on the consume damage has any connection with reality, either. My Cu seems to regenerate every bit as fast vs. 100% other targets as against physical, when both do the same amount of damage.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We try to get our head around this, but fail to see, why the 85 Energy?
Energy is the third most important Resist, generally speaking. In terms of the frequency of damage types, it goes Physical > Fire > Energy > Cold > Poison. Sure the Cu is gonna end up with only 50 Poison Resist (80/80/70/50/85), but not that many creatures deal Poison damage with their melee, and for the few hard hitters that do (such as the Putrifier), the Najasaurus can easily tank them.

A 5 point difference between 80 Energy Resist vs 85 might not first appear to be that big of a difference, but it actually means the pet is taking 25% less damage from Energy damage. A hypothetical example would be that a boss does 100 points of 100% Energy Damage. Cu A has 80 Energy Resist, while Cu B has 85 Energy Resist. Cu A would take 20 points of damage from the boss, while Cu B takes 15 points of damage. Cu B would last at least 25% longer against the boss than Cu A would. So that 5 point difference, is actually pretty big. The higher the numbers go, the bigger the difference. Hypothetical example, a pet with 99% Energy Resist, would last twice as long against that boss as a pet with 98% Energy Resist.
This is one of the big reasons why the Saurosaurus is so ridiculously tanky too, due to the 85 Physical/90 Fire resist. He's taking half as much Fire damage as a pet with 80% Fire Resist.

Last edited:

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
This thread has me considering making a feint cu. As I have a cu, jet black, that I really wasn't sure what to do with, this is sounding like a possible use for her.
So I was wondering what you all think of this girl.
Here are the starting stats...
FCU1.PNG

And here is what I was thinking to do.
FCU.PNG
I might change a few things, as I tossed this together late last night and it seems I'm not at my best late at night anymore. Damn age thing....

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This thread has me considering making a feint cu. As I have a cu, jet black, that I really wasn't sure what to do with, this is sounding like a possible use for her.
So I was wondering what you all think of this girl.
Here are the starting stats...
View attachment 92606

And here is what I was thinking to do.
View attachment 92607
I might change a few things, as I tossed this together late last night and it seems I'm not at my best late at night anymore. Damn age thing....
First, that a >60M gold black Cu. You really want to do tests with it?

Make a Fient Lesser first. They can get the benefits from Bushido. Also not sure if the 120 Bushido scroll will make fient do any better on a non Tokuno pet.

I know you have them already, but put AI/Chiv on that Cu. It will kill everything instead of not killing and dodging.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
If you haven't tried a pet with feint before I highly recommend trying one on test center first. It would be a shame to ruin that awesome Cu. You could tame something on test center, bond it, and level it up to 5 slots in about 5 minutes to see if you like it or not.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you haven't tried a pet with feint before I highly recommend trying one on test center first. It would be a shame to ruin that awesome Cu. You could tame something on test center, bond it, and level it up to 5 slots in about 5 minutes to see if you like it or not.
You need to raise bushido to over 100 (preferably to 120). The damage reduction scales with bushido level, so if you just go to TC slap feint on a pet and try to judge it from there, you will miss out on what it truly does. Kind of like trying to judge Chiv from just slapping 40 Chiv on a pet on TC.

Copying to TC to test things does not work for everything, unless you decide to level the skill fully there.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I know you have them already, but put AI/Chiv on that Cu.
You wrote in the cleaned up thread you don't push people into decisions, but here you do it again? We do realise Mordha is not the OP asking for a Tanking pet specifically, but when he already has a few AI/Chiv-ers, what is one more going to do? As we said before, we have 2 Feint Pets, and they work very nicely for tanking, while our other pets do the killing. Works like a charm, not sure if Mordha also plays with other tamers, but it sounds silly to carbon copy all your pets. Even when it is the most effective build. For certain styles of play, we should add, as it all depends on what you try to achieve.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Test center is for building. And seeing what your hp and mana can be. Unless you did what Don used to do. He skilled pets there and wrote down the results. He didn't fully trust TC would be the exact thing when a patch came out but it works for the basics.

A lesser hiryu can get that build with plenty of points to spare. Spend a week killing stuff and it will have decent magic skills.

If you like the results transfer the build to another pet type.

Fun watching pets getting attacked by many dragons. I used to separate them so I could ev and spell them to death one at a time and gather the leather. Now I don't need leather but my current beetle would have made things easier for back then.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
@Khaelor That's true, but I'd still rather put in the time skilling a pet on test center than all the time it takes to level and skill a high value pet on a regular server and then find out I don't really like it.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
To answer Tabby’s question, I do run with a group. Our hunts see anywhere from 6 to 2 full parties. This depends a lot on outside influences.

Since I made that post, I found what might be a better cu for this idea. I am looking for a pet that stand toe to toe better then most of my pets at Exodus. And it does sound like a feint cu is the answer. Anyway, the cu I found has 563 hp (if I remember right) along with 72 cold and 85 energy resists. I found this in the cavern of the unloved (the mushroom cave). So I’ll use this new cu. I’m still not sure what I’ll do with the jet black cu, but selling is not an option for me. I’m too attached to this one

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I found this in the cavern of the unloved (the mushroom cave). So I’ll use this new cu.
Be careful of that. Last i checked, when a Cu is released, it drops it's bandages on the floor in a bag, and if it's re-tamed, it can't self heal since it no longer has any bandies. Maybe they've changed it though, been awhile since i last checked.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Be careful of that. Last i checked, when a Cu is released, it drops it's bandages on the floor in a bag, and if it's re-tamed, it can't self heal since it no longer has any bandies. Maybe they've changed it though, been awhile since i last checked.
Nope they heal just fine after that. The wild ones drop backpacks when they die and go to pixel heaven. They don't heal after that... I'm human I have taken many re tamed Cus. The Melee Skills drop to 44 tho.

I do not know why players release them there. Release them in the sand and they kill the changelings. And when a Paragon Irk hops over the wall you are glad they are there.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
You wrote in the cleaned up thread you don't push people into decisions, but here you do it again? We do realise Mordha is not the OP asking for a Tanking pet specifically, but when he already has a few AI/Chiv-ers, what is one more going to do? As we said before, we have 2 Feint Pets, and they work very nicely for tanking, while our other pets do the killing. Works like a charm, not sure if Mordha also plays with other tamers, but it sounds silly to carbon copy all your pets. Even when it is the most effective build. For certain styles of play, we should add, as it all depends on what you try to achieve.
I suspect the concern for THIS specific pet may be:
A high stats Cu fully speced and 120'd, that is BLACK (the most sought after color only after Blaze), with low cold, if speced with Disco, or Chiv/AI, and if the owner wants to sell at some point, it will sell for close to 400-500 Million. A Feint cu on the other hand? Who will buy it and how much will it sell for?
ALSO:
Would you spec a Blaze cu with feint? Think about it a little bit.
I can see experimenting with other color Cus though, except the rare colors.
Also the PS for the pet will likely cost 130-180 M most of the time. So the concern is correct.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First the black dog with high stats has a >60M gold value as is. Maybe he does not know that. Second If he builds it AI/Chiv with 120 scrolls and skills it, it would be worth >400M gold.

How much will it be worth with a Feint build?

Second, Why not experiment on a pet that can get the defense bonus from Bushido? A Lesser Hiryu has more points, can get max Regens even in Stam regen. With that same build.

PM the Ks and ask them if you should put Goo and Spellweaving on a >80% Legacy Nightmare and see if they dont tell you it is a bad idea.

Take 2 AI/Chiv Cus and compare how they tank that same target. The target will probably be dead before you get your timers set up.

Since there was no mention of a specific target. I still say 2 AI/Chiv Cus will kill a general target and will not need to be called "Tanks".

Also I accidentally thought this was Morda. He has Cus. The OP does not have a Cu that is built so I stand by my advice to Build the good one as an AI/Chiv Cu.

Also our first thoughts when 97 came out was that we needed tank pets. So we built Lessers that had AI/Bushido that could use the defense abilities that bushido has. Then we built some Chiv pets and put the Bush pets in the stable.

Sorry, I held out posting about Cus for a year. Almost 2 years now. AI/Chiv is the best damage and a Cu with it is the best TANK for general encounters. One of my first builds was a Triceratops named Tanker. He tanked but couldn't kill.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My whisper timer was ready so I took 2 magery pets down to Navrey. Both have 100. Different damages.

10 min later Navrey is like this.
upload_2019-1-28_23-41-50.png

Ill go get a just finished 40 skill AI/chiv cu to kill her.

I am really trying to find something that Magery works with.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
It is ok to warn someone about a possible mistake. It doesn't seem right to tell someone what to do with their pet. There is a world of difference between "I would put AI/Chiv on it" or "Put AI/Chiv on it". That sounds more like an order than advise?
As Mordha stated, he is attached to the Black beauty, so we don't think the monetary value is of any relevance here. So he can build it the same as his previous Cu's, or make it shine in group battles for example tanking Exodus. But it was nice to read he found an even better version for that.
Now about killing quickly, that is not always the best strategy. When tanking Semidar for example, one might want to use a Tanking pet that does NOT hit extremely hard, since all pets count as males they kill themselves rather fast against her when they do. Same for tanking Monstrous Grizzle, the harder he is hit by pets, the more they dance around in the ooze and the harder it is to keep them alive. And especially for chaotic situations like invasions, when loads of critters target it, where it is hard to keep healing the pet, you'll be happy to have a pet with Feint who can survive a while without you. No matter how much damage AI/Chiv Cu's do, they will last a lot less in such situations we're sure.
Regarding the Lesser Hiryu, we feel one cannot compare a pet with Healing with one that has no Healing as for tankiness?

SouthPaw

Lore Master
You could try Feint on a lesser hiryu, and they get real Bushido for added defense, but no healing.

Or you could test it out on a Lion or Sabre Tooth, they can both get healing and start with armor ignore. Sabre Tooth also starts with Bushido/nerve strike.

Or you could try it out on any other colored cu first.

Or you could just tame the best tank in the game-the Saurosaurus with 85% physical resist and 90% fire resist, and it has life leech. If all you're concerned about is tanking, not damage output, then this is the pet for you.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Or you could just tame the best tank in the game-the Saurosaurus with 85% physical resist and 90% fire resist, and it has life leech. If all you're concerned about is tanking, not damage output, then this is the pet for you.
Except you do not want a pet with life leech on exodus.

I think it's important what you want the pet for or what type of situations and synergize for that.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As Mordha stated, he is attached to the Black beauty, so we don't think the monetary value is of any relevance here.
I keep getting Morda and the OP mixed up. The names are too close. I thought the OP had the high stat Cu. The OP has never used a Cu so I wanted him to know it was a good one. Sorry @Mordha a I thought the high stat Cu was owned by the OP. Glad you found a better Cu to experiment with tho.

2 Cus can take out Grizzle with the owners just staying out of the acid pools. If your pet is dying at grizzle then call it away from the acid pool.
We go to the next T2A spawn when we see imps. Sounds like a Good thread for you to make: Tamer vs Semidar. Would help others that dont run away. Ill still go find a faster one.

And here we go in the big circle again.
Regarding the Lesser Hiryu, we feel one cannot compare a pet with Healing with one that has no Healing as for tankiness?
I get banned from K PMs when I mention that is THE reason a Cu is more Tanky than other pets.

I am sticking with my original advice that the OP should make his first Cu an AI/Chiv Cu. He will find it is more Tanky than his non healing pets. He will not need to use as many offensive spells to kill his targets. He can toss it heals when needed and mount it and back off to get the HP up and start again. Soon all his friends will have Cus except the one with an AI/RC Poison Beetle and there will be no need for a tank.

If he dont like Killing Stuff he can make another Cu with Feint.

He can go get more Cus and put whatever he wants to put on them. Here are some samples:Cu Sidhe Builds They all kill stuff and are tanky. Some take longer to kill things.

Then he will return to Mr Reliable.

Ill try to stop mixing up the M named posters.

Last edited:

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Sounds like a Good thread for you to make: Tamer vs Semidar. Would help others that dont run away. Ill still go find a faster one.
We get the impression you play with only tamers, while for us the tamer is the tank, allowing our mages to do real damage (with slayer books). So we are not in the position to create a thread like that. For us, the tamer is just there to tank the boss, and with Semidar we noticed our Disco-AI Lesser got completely destroyed because of his own power. (We even thought the devs had given Semidar AI at first!) Nowadays we use our Feint Giant Beetle with merely 500 Str to tank Semidar, and we can easily keep it alive PLUS our mages get to enjoy the Rune Corruption occasionally as well (albeit very short). This is all the knowledge we can share about that encounter.

2 Cus can take out Grizzle with the owners just staying out of the acid pools. If your pet is dying at grizzle then call it away from the acid pool.
So here we have the same viewpoint as above, MORE damage means more ooze so more chaos, we prefer control over speed for killing. There is our big difference with you we think. We brought one of the newly trained pets to MIG once, really looking forward to a speedy encounter, but it was pure chaos! Our mages could only heal, and that with the heavy casting delay, so it took long. Our next trip was with a (Wrong) Cave Troll, and it worked a treat! They carress opponents, so there was very little ooze and we could easily control the flow of the battle.

Control is the thing we look for most in all encounters. Speed comes far behind that, though of course we also keep trying to improve and learn more.

One more thing, we rarely think in monetary value, so that is also why our viewpoints can seem very odd. We personally feel a feint Cu could work wonders in invasion spawns and such, an ideal place to show off the cool color(s), as opposed to making yet another AI/Chiv. That was our reasoning. We agree the OP should also try/enjoy an AI/Chiv Cu, but in this thread he specifically asked for Tankiness and no need for constant attention, so we only think "Feint" when reading that.
He can toss it heals when needed and mount it and back off to get the HP up and start again.
Also when his group are relying on his pet to tank, the option of mount and back off is hardly a valid one we feel? In this case, a Feint Cu is more deserving of the title Mr Reliable?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We get the impression you play with only tamers, while for us the tamer is the tank, allowing our mages to do real damage (with slayer books).
*the following is a brag fest to show off my *****

Well that's great! Now we have pets instead of EVs.

Magery and Using pets are the perfect blend. Running consume should not keep you from being a kick ass mage.

This ensemble was designed by @Khyro. I sent him what I had in my suit and he designed the skills around it to be both a pet user and a Mage. Emphasizing on Mana regen. I can run consume while casting spells like G heal and ebolt with mana staying at 200. My pet does not lose HP. I do not have to cast G heal on my pet. G heals would be going to other pets or players.

If you want to be a speed fireballer you can fire as fast as you can and lose no mana. You can use flamestrike at the same rate that you can as a mage. At the end of the fight I can turn off consume and cast 14 WoD. They are near the same mana as flamestrike.

You will also find that you can run consume in spurts so you can use the mana regen for tossing even more flamestrikes than you normally can.

This character is a Hiryu Collector. He has many pet types but No Cus. Allen only gives him 110 and 115 melee pets. Born Sept 2017. He is Human and thinks Dogs stink.

upload_2019-1-29_17-9-59.png

This is Allen my first tamer. He is human and was made when ML came out along with some elves. He only had 95 real taming when the revamp came out.
He collects Cus. He has never tamed a Cu.

@Khyro also helped redesign him. This one has higher spell damage with less regen.
Can run consume and do basic spells with no mana loss. Can turn off consume and do 8 WoD.
upload_2019-1-29_17-54-30.png
upload_2019-1-29_17-58-49.png

Both run protection.

Mage suits are easy to build from crafting or hunting. The legendaries on the roof are almost always mage stuff. Some very good shields. You rarely get Leg dex or str pieces there.

You can build the suit for both of these easily. You just look for
LMC LRC Intel Mana regen. Get a couple of high resist pieces to build around.

Work your way up to
LMC 10%
LRC varies
Intel + 5
mana + 10
MR 4
On armor pieces

Any other properties are gravy.

@Tabby Kapak your mages do not need Tanks. They need a Killing machine that does not drop HP because you run consume and blast the targets! If my 2 toons were we, we would be kicking some ass!

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Id like to know if that 45 DCI that I have does anything. I have read that unless you have parry you do not get DCI bonus with my build.

And anyone can PM @Khyro with your suit and what you want to be and he can plug the numbers in and come up with the most efficient skills for what you have. Any template.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
2 Cus can take out Grizzle with the owners just staying out of the acid pools. If your pet is dying at grizzle then call it away from the acid pool..
Have an Archer in party with Lvl 3 Archery Mastery run "Play the Odds" and it'll buff the pet's HCI by 45% and SSI by 30%, helping to compensate for Grizzle's Howl of Cacophany or Lady Mel's Nauseous Aura.

Id like to know if that 45 DCI that I have does anything. I have read that unless you have parry you do not get DCI bonus with my build.
That is wrong. Parry is not required to make DCI useful. Wrest/Wep skills or a Mage Wep are though. With a -0 Mage Wep at 120 Magery and 45% DCI, a mob with 120 Wrest would have 34% chance to land a hit on you. With just 45% DCI, and no Mage Wep on that char, a mob with 120 Wrest would have a 95% chance to land a hit on you. DCI does no good against high Wrest/Wep skill opponents if you yourself don't have Wrest/Wep skill or a Mage Wep. If that char consistently wields a Spellbook, with no Wrest skill, then yeah, the DCI on him is a waste.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'm going to pipe in here rq. @Pawain I appreciate your comments about my jet black cu, I even understand your confusion (I had to look back at the name of the OP as I didn't get it before) over who said what. It is possible I'll go chiv/ai on the high hp jet black cu but for now, I'll keep her in my stable. The idea of a feint cu has my interest, so that new cu I tamed with the 72 cold and 85 energy just might be the right one for going feint with.
I'm thinking 120 wrestling, parry and bushido, then 110's for everything else. I'm just waiting on the bonding before I start, besides I have 2 other pets (mares), ready for scrolling and training, but that is a topic for another thread.....
Given my scrolling thought above, does anyone who has a feint cu see anything I should consider changing?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

And anyone can PM @Khyro with your suit and what you want to be and he can plug the numbers in and come up with the most efficient skills for what you have. Any template.
From what i understand, for DCI 45 (max) you will get some melee benefit from attacks against you, but if you carry an SC weapon with magery - 0, then you will see real benefits if magery is 110, like only 30% chance or so being hit by melee attacks, and the attacks will do a lot less damage. But I am not sure if this combo of high DCI and magery -0 sc weapon offer any protection against spells cast against you, or specials like bleed, or archery attacks against you. I am pretty sure you need to be weilding the mage weapon though, and there are one handed such weapons, so you can continue using your shield with all the nice stuff on it..
@PlayerSkillFTW is great for info on this, and any help or comments from him will be appreciated.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
DCI works without parry. We have a calculator here if anyone is interested in seeing the effects of various skill levels: Effective Damage Calculator | uo-cah.com

It was designed with pets in mind, but it will work for players too. In the "Attacking Creature" section put whatever you are fighting. In the "Defending Creature" section, put your player's stats. In the Wrestling field just put whatever weapon skill you have, or your Mage Weapon level (120 Magery with a MW-15, put 105 in there unless you are overcapping it with jewelry to compensate).

Parry and Hit Chance are two different checks. Hit chance goes first, and if that passes (meaning you are set to get hit), it will then check parry. DCI is part of the first check.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
. If that char consistently wields a Spellbook, with no Wrest skill, then yeah, the DCI on him is a waste.
He does so the info I was reading was confusing but correct. I'm still confused but that's the way the game works. Well that will cause me to make some changes. I can possibly replace DCI with Meditation on a jewel.
I can get a better shield since I dont need DCI on mine.

Have an Archer in party with Lvl 3 Archery Mastery run "Play the Odds" and it'll buff the pet's HCI by 45% and SSI by 30%, helping to compensate for Grizzle's Howl of Cacophany or Lady Mel's Nauseous Aura.
We Have an archer that comes to our community hunts. He asks what aura he should run before we start.
I can recommend that 1. Thanks

@Khyro Thanks. Sess uses a mage bow. I dont want to be more interactive at this time, Ill just use the dci slots for other mage things.

I appreciate your comments about my jet black cu, I even understand your confusion (I had to look back at the name of the OP as I didn't get it before) over who said what
Yes I was confused because I saw that Black Cus stats and my brain could not compile anything else. I dont mind if a Cu has >80 cold and/or Energy. Yours is perfect for me. I would put put the Phy and fire to 79 and thats caps. You get 2 bonus energy and 5 bonus Poison resist. Will be a sweet dog with any build!

I don't care what people that know how to build pets do. But if it is the first time you build a pet type I want to start them off with a killing machine. Then they can try others.

As for the tanking, on LS when we say Tanking Navrey, Mage or anything in chat we mean someone is there to occupy the target and is running consume.
Most pets are Tanks if you run consume. You may have to heal it a few times at the beginning. If you are fighting Rikky it may die once and the players around may die a couple times.(usually the pet dies because the owner has died or ran away to avoid death or res someone) Gift of life on the pet will help also. But once the pet gets in a couple of hard hits the Mob will lose stamina and do less damage and you can run consume and cast small spells or keep the NOOBs or Melee toons alive.

I have 2 blues and an Ice Cu that are fresh and want to taste blood. Maybe Ill try one with Fient.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
He does so the info I was reading was confusing but correct. I'm still confused but that's the way the game works. Well that will cause me to make some changes. I can possibly replace DCI with Meditation on a jewel.
I can get a better shield since I dont need DCI on mine.

We Have an archer that comes to our community hunts. He asks what aura he should run before we start.
I can recommend that 1. Thanks

@Khyro Thanks. Sess uses a mage bow. I dont want to be more interactive at this time, Ill just use the dci slots for other mage things.

Yes I was confused because I saw that Black Cus stats and my brain could not compile anything else. I dont mind if a Cu has >80 cold and/or Energy. Yours is perfect for me. I would put put the Phy and fire to 79 and thats caps. You get 2 bonus energy and 5 bonus Poison resist. Will be a sweet dog with any build!

I don't care what people that know how to build pets do. But if it is the first time you build a pet type I want to start them off with a killing machine. Then they can try others.

As for the tanking, on LS when we say Tanking Navrey, Mage or anything in chat we mean someone is there to occupy the target and is running consume.
Most pets are Tanks if you run consume. You may have to heal it a few times at the beginning. If you are fighting Rikky it may die once and the players around may die a couple times.(usually the pet dies because the owner has died or ran away to avoid death or res someone) Gift of life on the pet will help also. But once the pet gets in a couple of hard hits the Mob will lose stamina and do less damage and you can run consume and cast small spells or keep the NOOBs or Melee toons alive.

I have 2 blues and an Ice Cu that are fresh and want to taste blood. Maybe Ill try one with Fient.
On the DCI point...DCI 45 together with a magery -0 weapon, will offer great advantages when you tame thinks that hit you while lead taming etc. You get a great chance not being hit as often plus if you do get hit, the damage will have a decent chance of low damage. It will depend on the HCI and the Wrestling level of the beast. So from about 50-80 % chance of getting killed, you may see not getting killed much more frequently. My main question was does mage weapon -0 wielding magery 110 on toon, and HCI 45 : Would specials like bleed from the mob and spell damage be reduced also? I suspect NO. But would be nice to confirm.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On the DCI point...DCI 45 together with a magery -0 weapon, will offer great advantages when you tame thinks that hit you while lead taming etc. You get a great chance not being hit as often plus if you do get hit, the damage will have a decent chance of low damage. It will depend on the HCI and the Wrestling level of the beast. So from about 50-80 % chance of getting killed, you may see not getting killed much more frequently. My main question was does mage weapon -0 wielding magery 110 on toon, and HCI 45 : Would specials like bleed from the mob and spell damage be reduced also? I suspect NO. But would be nice to confirm.
Spells or Bleed Attack from mobs cannot be avoided/parried, they land 100% of the time, unless you're using Bushido's "Evasion" ability. DCI/Mage Wep does not affect the damage whatsoever when you do get hit, it only reduces the chance of getting hit in the first place.
The chance for something to land a melee/archery hit on you, is dependent upon a check between your Wrest/Wep Skill+DCI, vs the opponent's Wrest/Wep Skill+HCI. If the opponent succeeds on his "To Hit" check, then a second roll is performed if you have Parry, which gives you a chance to Parry an attack that would otherwise land on you. Mage Weapon substitutes your Magery skill as your Wep skill.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Spells or Bleed Attack from mobs cannot be avoided/parried, they land 100% of the time, unless you're using Bushido's "Evasion" ability. DCI/Mage Wep does not affect the damage whatsoever when you do get hit, it only reduces the chance of getting hit in the first place.
The chance for something to land a melee/archery hit on you, is dependent upon a check between your Wrest/Wep Skill+DCI, vs the opponent's Wrest/Wep Skill+HCI. If the opponent succeeds on his "To Hit" check, then a second roll is performed if you have Parry, which gives you a chance to Parry an attack that would otherwise land on you. Mage Weapon substitutes your Magery skill as your Wep skill.
Awesome. So with DCI 45, and magery -0 sc weapon and 110 magery on the character, your chance of being hit by melee or archery or gargie boomerang would potentially drop down to 30% depending on the enemie's HCI plus Wres or HCI plus Weapon skill..right? DCI 45 ALONE without the mage weapon will offer no benefit or very little, right?

TY for info. Great to know..

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
@Tabby Kapak your mages do not need Tanks. They need a Killing machine that does not drop HP because you run consume
Well, there is a vital requirement for that to work, which is an Animal Taming III primer. Which don't seem to drop too often we noticed. So wrong, we do need a tank (for some foes). Also, running consume means the tamer can't be hidden, nullifying the benefit of our stealth tamer(s). And once again, for things like MIG a tanky low damage pet seems to work far better than a killing machine. Different settings, different pets to shine.

You rarely get Leg dex or str pieces there.
We also noticed most armor dropping as loot is for mages/tamers, faaaaar less for dexxers. Thanks for confirming it is not just us heh.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, there is a vital requirement for that to work, which is an Animal Taming III primer.

What shard is this!? Someone on this forum should have a taming III for you!

We must increase our numbers. Save those mage pieces for NOOBs that can make a mage tamer.