• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tank Mage?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
120 Magery
110 Parry (120 w/ Hephaestus shield)
120 Eval
100 Necro
120 Spirit Speak
120 Resist
30 Meditation

Hold the new shadowguard crook for -0 Mage weapon.
Wear as much SDI as you can.
Do the spellweaving quest and get a zero skill focus to use gift of renewal/attunment.

Use wither or EQ to level spawn.

For most spawns you should be able to hold your ground against most mobs, especially if someone else is able to discord the champ.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A Tank Mage by definition wields a weapon. Weapon, Tactics, Magery, Eval, Med, Res

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You and I might define a tank mage that way but um...some don't. I like using a weapon with tank mage.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Tank Mages comparatively are not good for spawns. They're more intended as a PvP hybrid for damage stacking/burst damage. They use a weapon skill and Tactics. The above is a Parry Mage, though they usually use Wrestling or Defensive Wrestling for melee defense, so they can drink potions. The reason they are not particularly good for spawns is because rather than being the best of both worlds it's more an under powered caster template combined with an under powered dexxer.

I can't be bothered to suggest or explain templates to questions that have no intention other than 'build something for me'.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tank Mages is to 1998 as Deathstrike/Nervestrike is to 2015

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Idk, I think they've made a pretty relevant come back lately. A lot of old original things came back in to play, like Parry Mages, Poisoners etc. Necro Mages are fairly rare these days.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It depends on if you're spawning with a group. Clearly, it's not a good temp if you're doing it solo or with only one other person, but if you have a group of 4+, a tank mage / parry mage can be a utility player that uses dexxxer weapons at level 1 and 2 spawn, but then focuses on casting for higher level spawn and the boss.

And as noted ,they're also decent in PVP (if done correctly). So having a tank mage come out on a spawn also can then act as counter-offense in the event of a raid.

Sqrlking

Adventurer
Idk, I think they've made a pretty relevant come back lately. A lot of old original things came back in to play, like Parry Mages, Poisoners etc. Necro Mages are fairly rare these days.
That sparked a memory. Back in '97ish, there was a parry mage guildmate I had by the name of GOD. All of his characters were named GOD, matter of fact. We sparred a few times at the Jhelom docks. He played with another guildmate named FrosT, if memory serves. Coincidence?

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting tidbits. As some have hinted 80 dexterity is the minimum to really do anything if you're centering your mage around parry (shouldn't be the case). As some have mentioned, too weak. That said, as others have stated - some of the most difficult people to fight against IF they know what they're doing. The reason being is that it will take some quite good gear and finagling if you were to roll with this and to hold onto high dexterity while trying to have high strength and any sort of MP pool.

You can find many a template through searching and carousing through the forum. I hate locking myself into a template with a sole focus, as this is too acute of playmaking option for me. It is good to have some flexibility.

Last edited:

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Do the spellweaving quest and get a zero skill focus to use gift of renewal/attunment.
I just now noticed this. Don't know this never occurred to me before.

I have a chiv/archer with 0 magery, but i'm thinking this would come in handy.