• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Tank Mage for pvm and pvp

M

Mairut

I need help with a template...
My playstyle: If I can whack it with a sword, do that and throw bolt or flamestrike a couple of times. If its harder to fight or a mage itself, throw evs and some spells at it until i run out of mana and then whack it a few times with a sword or run until I get mana back up.
....I was looking to make a tank mage with swords when I first started.
Unfortunately, there seem to be too many things you need to make swords really effective.
I had:
GM Magery
50 Resist
GM Eval
GM Med
GM Swords
50 Parry
GM Anat
GM Tactics
700pts capped

Plus whatever jewls I could find to give extra defense increases.
Using Swords of Prosperity, and almost 70s with 100%+ LRC, and med jewls.
My stats: 90str 60dex 85int
If anyone can think of a way to make this better, I would be grateful. I seem to have issues in staying alive in general and fighting titans for example.

If not, what about this:
50 Chiv/50 Wrestling
and GM:
Mage
Resist
Eval
Med
Bushido
Parry
(and I have no clue what my str/dex/int would be on this)
Which would considerably cut down on my whacking things

Would either of these be effective for pvp?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help

C

Chaosy

120 magery
120 eval
120 resist
100 med
120 swords
90 tactics
50 chiv

M

Mairut

So you don 't really need anat and parry to improve swords?

N

NickyDishes

parry is to block only...anatomy does nothing for weapon skill but add a little damage...weapon skill is ur defense together with dci...tactics gives u specials...u dont need that much damage in my opinion when u have 120 eval and can pound out spells for ur offense...this is why i dont understand your temp..to me a tank mage would seem like he's at a disadvantage...all i have to do is disarm u in pvp...and pvm why on earth wouldnt u take up necro and spellweaving for more effective damage overall...tank mages were the thing to do back in the day but i just dont see any effectivness now.

M

Mairut

I'll give necro and spellweaving a try then..

Thanks for the advice :)

C

Chaosy

Tank mages are still effective if you know how to play them right, but they're not as useful or powerful as a necro mage and certainly lack the 1v1 ability of a tamer mage with a dreadmare. :p

M

Mairut

So maybe I could do necro instead of chiv...

Maybe I'll raise dex, and be a dexxer necro tank mage...:lick:
(jk)

C

Chaosy

Actually, I have a tank mage build that uses 60 necro for omen FS and to go into wraith form in chokes, not to mention the occassional pain spike. It's pretty effective.