• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming partner?

I want to create a Archer/Tamer to partner with my friends Disco Tamer as he said we would partner up well. He could train the toughest beast and hand them off to me as I would ber skilled enough in lore and Vet to take care of the pet. What would be a good template for this toon? Skills/Stats.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want to create a Archer/Tamer to partner with my friends Disco Tamer as he said we would partner up well. He could train the toughest beast and hand them off to me as I would ber skilled enough in lore and Vet to take care of the pet. What would be a good template for this toon? Skills/Stats.
I cringe every single time someone says toon. You can go beginner to all out weird with this template but if you're playing in a group the very most important thing is to be able to provide help. It generally makes gameplay more enjoyable for everyone when bringing helpful templates.

The biggest mistake I see are people putting pets on an archer template.My personal opinion is when you put taming onto a template you become a tamer first since pets do far more damage than any player except for the sampire.

MAGE-arch-tact-tame-lore-vet is a bare beginner version of one of mine. This template gives you magery so you can heal, cure poisons, invis and provide a quick rez to your group if needed without having to have Eval. It's a good all around template. You're providing damage and you can help take care of the pets and people in your party.

My template is odd but pretty basic. It's Mage-archery-tame-lore-vet-spellweaving. I have very little dex. I cannot do specials but with elemental damage slayer bows I do moderate damage per arrow and i can cast word of death. All this while providing help to my group.

I cringe every single time someone says toon. You can go beginner to all out weird with this template but if you're playing in a group the very most important thing is to be able to provide help. It generally makes gameplay more enjoyable for everyone when bringing helpful templates.

The biggest mistake I see are people putting pets on an archer template.My personal opinion is when you put taming onto a template you become a tamer first since pets do far more damage than any player except for the sampire.

MAGE-arch-tact-tame-lore-vet is a bare beginner version of one of mine. This template gives you magery so you can heal, cure poisons, invis and provide a quick rez to your group if needed without having to have Eval. It's a good all around template. You're providing damage and you can help take care of the pets and people in your party.

My template is odd but pretty basic. It's Mage-archery-tame-lore-vet-spellweaving. I have very little dex. I cannot do specials but with elemental damage slayer bows I do moderate damage per arrow and i can cast word of death. All this while providing help to my group.
What would the numbers looks like, skills/stats ?

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What would the numbers looks like, skills/stats ?
Skills are roughly:
110 mage, 120 archery, 120 tame, 120 lore 100 tact 100 vet - deposit rest of your skills into med
or
110 mage 120 archery 120 tame 120 lore 120 spellweaving 100 vet if you liked that template - deposit rest of your skills into med

Which template did you like? There's too many variables that come into play to offer stats with the mods available on armor and jewels even the swing speed of your bow. As an example, If you choose to wear a hunters headdress, that gives +20 archery 15 hit chance and 8 dex. Just putting that on changes your skills and your stats. Possibilities are endless.

Max your str out for sure then after you get your suit try to find a nice medium in stamina and mana so you can use your bow and also keep your pet and group safe.

Just remember mages cast at 2/6. You need 100%lrc. High mana regin is helpful. Defense chance is optional. If you use invis and let your pet tank you should never have anything get close enough to hit.

Use knuckleheads to plot your template and stats. Don't be afraid of using pen and paper for future references.
SSI Calc | Knuckleheads.dk
Imbuing Calculator | Knuckleheads.dk

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Love when people ask about this as my namesake character is this template.

My template is as follows : Animal Taming 120 raw; animal lore 120 raw; chivalry 80; anatomy 80 healing 80; archery 120; tactics 120
I use a jewel set that boosts Chiv to 85 (84 is one of the EoO damage bonus tiers) and healing to 90 (100 with enhanced bandages).

Caveat is that I can heal my pets, but I can run consume as long as I don’t get too aggressive with armor ignore. It does require invis potions and orange petals, but it’s worth it for me play style.

This is basically “my pet tanks and gives a nasty damage output while I double it with arrows” character.

I use a Cu for most as a gen purpose but this pairs well with RC pets because as long as you use Cons Weap/Ele bows you’re doing ridiculously high damage output.

The highest DPS I’ve registered was about 530 on a GD in Destard with a Cu and Dragon Slayer cold bow.

There are a lot of variations of the template and I know I also like the Garg Version thrower since you can fly with non rideable pets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My personal opinion is when you put taming onto a template you become a tamer first since pets do far more damage than any player except for the sampire.
With a slayer bow, my archer tamer toon does a lot more damage than the pet alone. With a mage toon at your side that can invis you, you will do great. I only miss invis when going out alone.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With a slayer bow, my archer tamer toon does a lot more damage than the pet alone. With a mage toon at your side that can invis you, you will do great. I only miss invis when going out alone.
I also use slayer bows on mine. I'm not trying to knock the dexer tamers but from the way he talked I felt like one of my magery based templates would fit his need better to play with his friend. It covers all aspects from cross heals to pet and friend rez.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I also use slayer bows on mine. I'm not trying to knock the dexer tamers but from the way he talked I felt like one of my magery based templates would fit his need better to play with his friend. It covers all aspects from cross heals to pet and friend rez.
I assumed his friend was a mage tamer. Tamers rule!

Caitlyn helped design my template and suit. She rocks it.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I assumed his friend was a mage tamer. Tamers rule!

Caitlyn helped design my template and suit. She rocks it.
I still have the screen grabs I sent you. If anyone needs them let me know in a PM and I’ll send them again. This template has quite a bit of room for variation. I like mine because the Chiv and healing allow me to run stuff solo, or with a group with a huge output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is mine. I wear Britches of warding, Gloves of Feudal Grip, I prefer Prismatic lenses over Mace and Shield.
Then I reforged pieces like this to get stats and regens.

Caitlyns does more damage because she has more Strength.

The suit was calculated by @Khyro to fit her template setup. I can run consume for 2:00 with no specials. Run it and specials indefinitely if using slayer bow. Usually I only need Consume for 20 second bursts.

upload_2018-11-26_17-14-33.png

This works great if your friend has magery. You need invis once in a while. And one of you has to be able to vet the pets.

The two of you can do peerless and spawns and any boss when you using your abilities together.

I use my Mage/Weaver/Tamer as the tag along.

I just need to be able to stay at a distance and not get hit. I take him on our community hunts often.

On the high HP mobs it will reduce kill time significantly. It is a lot of fun.

There are a lot of posters here to help you.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Max your str out for sure then after you get your suit try to find a nice medium in stamina and mana so you can use your bow and also keep your pet and group safe.
100 STR, 120 DEX, 35 INT, Elf for 55 Mana before gear. Comp Bows end up consistently doing more damage than any pet with a build like Caitlyn's. The pet is basically just there to tank the hits, and utility, such as applying Rune Corruption or Discord to increase the Archer's damage. The bulk of the damage comes from the bow.

Another very high damage output Tamer build, is the olschool Tamer/Mage, now that Slayer spellbooks apply to Death Ray. 120 Taming/120 Lore/120 Vet/120 Magery/120 Eval/120 Med and Vol 3 Magery Primer. Get a Cu or Unicorn with Discord+Conductive Blast to tank, get Death Ray rolling, and just watch the mob melt like he was hit with a "Kamehameha" from DBZ. 400+ damage ticks every 3 secs with a Lesser Slayer Spellbook during Disco+Conductive Blast (not even counting the pet's damage itself). Seriously, just imagine Vegeta being the pet using Conductive Blast, then the boss melting from Death Ray.

Last edited:

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
100 STR, 120 DEX, 35 INT, Elf for 55 Mana before gear. Comp Bows end up consistently doing more damage than any pet with a build like Caitlyn's. The pet is basically just there to tank the hits, and utility, such as applying Rune Corruption or Discord to increase the Archer's damage. The bulk of the damage comes from the bow.

Another very high damage output Tamer build, is the olschool Tamer/Mage, now that Slayer spellbooks apply to Death Ray. 120 Taming/120 Lore/120 Vet/120 Magery/120 Eval/120 Med and Vol 3 Magery Primer.
I do really decent damage with regular shots from a fast bow with no tactics. My pets are set with rune or grasping with more damage coming from WoD. I've got my preferences like everyone else heh.

I didn't know about the slayer/death ray so thanks for that info!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am building a tamer to hang with my buddies Disco Tamer. I wanted a little advice on skills and numbers if you have time. Going with Archery so here we go. I was thinking of eating 120 scrolls for each skill. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Taming
Lore
Vet
Archery
Tact
Chivalry
You want to have real 120 taming and lore so you can use those masteries effectively.

You do not need real 120 Archery. Headdress and quiver give you 25.

Need real 90 tact for specials.

You should try to put some anatomy in there.

Just hold your imbued bow on TC and fiddle with the numbers.
Put and leave arch at 120. Put tactics to no lower than 90 and adjust tactics and anatomy. Adjust to a point you are happy with. Then use jewels and real skill to get those values.

I think you are the Vet so you need that at what is req to res.

You need some mana regen. You need some Focus.

So IMO add some focus and anatomy. Jewels and the archery items will get you going with skills.

Yall will be very happy with this team setup. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You want to have 120 taming and lore so you can use those masteries.

You do not need real 120 taming.
Masteries are entirely based on real skill. The Taming Masteries in particular scale very sharply with real skill. There's a big difference in the performance of Consume Damage between a 120/120 Tamer and even a 115/115 Tamer.

Edit: I see you probably meant Archery does not need to be real 120.