• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming is THAT hard to raise?

M

marcelom

hi guys i am training a tamer for t-hunting, i just started it and i am feeling its really hard to get skill gains, i am using the guides provided in this forum, first with polar bears (then i saw another link that say to tame 30% skill animals with 50% taming skill), i made like 1% in a complete hour of taming, and i am just 51% in animal taming :S .. will this be so hard from the beggining or i am doing something wrong??
i also notice that i just have gains with succesful attemps, never got any gain with failed..
any feedback will be much appreciated!.
Cheers!

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not a taming guru like some people on this forum, but if you are just trying to get gains to start to reach GM or whatever, it is my understanding that you should not have animal lore higher than your taming.

You should have the least amount of skill points that you can afford on your template until you reach GM taming or whatever you are comfortable with at being...around 300 skill points or so. Not sure if it matters any more with the GGS or not...I know I'm just real old fashioned.

Also, for me now. I'm around 115 taming but what I do is just mix up what you are taming for the appropriate level you are at.

So if you are stuck in a rut, just look at another creature that you have a chance to tame based on your taming level and then go give them a shot. When you get a gain, you can then stick with them or swap back and forth.

Hope any of that helps.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hi guys i am training a tamer for t-hunting, i just started it and i am feeling its really hard to get skill gains, i am using the guides provided in this forum, first with polar bears (then i saw another link that say to tame 30% skill animals with 50% taming skill), i made like 1% in a complete hour of taming, and i am just 51% in animal taming :S .. will this be so hard from the beggining or i am doing something wrong??
i also notice that i just have gains with succesful attemps, never got any gain with failed..
any feedback will be much appreciated!.
Cheers!
Here's the guide I've used on my tamers till now - http://www.strangeworld.com/uo/prc/prc.php?Section=taming_gain

At your level I'd head to Healer's Grove in Ilshenar and tame all the hinds, setting them on the healers to kill them quickly. I don't go to polars till I hit 60 skill, then mid 80's I went on to greater harts, again at Healer's Grove.

I've never found lore skill made any difference to my skill gains, but if you can keep your total skill points used as low as possible, you'll get the fastest gains.

Wenchy

M

marcelom

Thank you all for the replies, good to know all this things.. i will try with the hindes as you said.
Cheers!

jan333333

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you all for the replies, good to know all this things.. i will try with the hindes as you said.
Cheers!
its not hard only if u are in a hurry....
i am at 95 ish and i now tame a few bulls a day just to get my daily 0.1 gain sometimes more
i am over gm with jewels...so i am not in a hurry:)
its normal that its harder then other skills the power you get once done....:)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do some every day, don't do it for hours if you are just going to get burned out. When my tamers were low I would set goals like "get 2 points a session", as they gained in skill my goals changed from gaining points to "tame for 1 hour" type goals. It's less frustrating this way.

You can also do "tame 100 animals of XX type", and work on your taming efficiency - for example, when I would be doing a bunch of the same animals I would be unmounted, tame 5 of them, as I'm taming the 5th I would rename the last one "a", hit my macro that would release "a" and then sic the other four animals on "a" with an all kill macro. This way I cycled through the animals, got a regular respawn of them, and without spending any extra time to do any of this. It works like this:

1. Drag lifebar of animal, try to tame it. Hit retame macro when you fail (use taming skill, wait for target, last target)
2. When lifebar dings blue hit "all follow me" macro and tame next animal
rinse and repeat till you have four lifebars
3. as you are taming the 5th animal, rename the top lifebar to "a"
4. Say "a" release and hit ok or yes or whatever the gump asks you (i forget)
5. "all kill" and target "a" lifebar
6. "all follow me" and find a new 5th animal to tame, going back to step 3.

This works well on characters who are unskilled and have no way to kill their tames, and is really good for cycling through areas like ice island or the area southeast of moonglow zoo with the brown bears.

Also, taming animals for the zoo and turning them in is time consuming, but it's a nice break from session taming and a few extra points a day can really add up. =)

S

Sweety

Ya taming is pretty hard to raise, but i think if you gm animal lore first then the taming gains go a little faster because you succeed more. Not totally sure if thats correct but it's what i always thought. Also if you do something extra while taming it's less boring. For example i just started a new tamer and while taming i get hides and train my musicianship.