• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming for an RPer

G

Hey guys,

I've never had a tamer before, but I've recently been toying with the idea of creating an RP character with it, or introducing it to one of my existing characters.

For those who may know, I'm a member of The Baronship of Cove on the Europa shard; a low-fantasy guild that is based upon the concept of a Baron, and his loyal troops protecting Cove's citizens; so it's not "LOL, WW, FLAMESTRIKE" heaven.

Now, being an RP guild we don't make up our skills off magic items; so skill increase jewelry is out of the question, and having a max template size of 710, I'm forced to make tough decissions on skills, that I hope you guys can help me with.

----

One of my characters is some beardy, broad Scotsman drill instructor, charging about in full plate and firing bolts at folk.

As is stands his aimed template is:

GM Archery
GM Tactics
GM Anatomy
GM Healing
GM Focus

2 skills left over for something extra; I was thinking of giving him 2 hounds (dire wolves) by removing focus, and adding GM Taming, Lore and Vet.

That's all well and good, but if I was doing taming, I'd prefer two 'hounds' to say, sniff out the enemy (tracking/detect hidden)

So, what if I were to make a dedicated 'Beastmaster' character? Something like:

Taming
Lore
Vet
Anat
Tracking
Detect Hidden
Healing (For himself)

How viable would this sort of template be? Bare in mind that as an RP guild I'm not out hunting elder gazers for cash on a saturday morning, or charging around with a cohort of magical creatures behind me; I'm thinking vicious animals. But at the same time I'm not going around killing mongbats (There is a heavy element of PvP involved in this RP community, but it is mostly based around either dedicated warrior, or mage templates, with no more than GM crafted armour and weapons. It is often two opposing forces of 15+ people each (not 1v1)

Thanks very much!

- Heskey

J

JoyousGard

I don't know much about templates to be honest, but your archer with two wolves sounded pretty cool.

I've read somewhere that you only need 25 or so points in tracking to get all the features of tracking (could have been a dated post though).

Tracking in KR is SNAFU. It don't work and I don't know if that is the plan (to dump it) or they haven't got around to it yet.

SO depending on your client beware of tracking. And check about the only needing 25 points to track anything because that would be nice to leave you some room for a weapon skill.

I

imported_Kallie Pigeon

If I were making an RP tamer it would be something like this
Wrestling
Anatomy
Healing
Taming
Vet
Lore
resist

Long ago I met a guy in Cove who was wrestling his grizzly bear and both of them were tough compared to my character at the time. Anyways I always thought that would make a good RP character.

K

Keno

Here are three, of many, possible thoughts:

GM Taming/Lore/Vet
GM Weapon/Tactics/Anatomy
85 Healing and 25 Tracking (Need 21.1 to = GM)

I’m not certain just what is permitted inside of RP but I’m certain there are some creatures that must be on the “can’t use/own” list. Even at 90-95 Taming/Lore you have a 99% chance of controlling a Dire Wolf and good chances with many other beasts. Of course you could drop Vet some also to either gain additional points or take points only from Lore/Vet so you get the title with Taming - depends on your intended play style.
Your healing would be sufficient to Rez/Cure but would not give you the guaranteed aspect of 90.1.

This could free up 10-20 points for additional healing/tracking or maybe cooking or camping. Cooking and Camping allows for the “Wilderness” aspect of a character that works with animals, thus may have a deep love of the wild and nature. Of course, if you’re human you have JOAT on your side and may not need to use points for those.

You could also consider:
GM Taming/Lore with 93 Vet
GM Weapon/Tactics/Anatomy
95 Healing and 22 Tracking

Slight change in point distribution what would give you guaranteed healing, GM equivalent Tracking, control maximum permissible in RP (vs 120 skills otherwise) for beasts and decent Vet skills for your pets. (Think I like this template better than #1)

Personally I’d consider Archery as a viable weapon skill so as to allow for ranged support of either your pets or other characters while you remain within Vet distance of your beasts - but that is just my thinking. Although if you wanted the whole "Beast Master" appearance you could opt for swords too.

You could also replace Weapon/Tactics/Anatomy and Healing with Magery/Eval/Med(Focus) and Detect Hidden or even Spellweaving… Healing would be kind of useless without Anatomy and you could use Greater Heal/Cure. Besides I’m not certain that you would need Detect if you could Track your target then use Magery to find them. I’m not clear that Spellweaving would be permitted within RP but it would give an entire new aspect to the “In touch with animals and nature” thing - plus make for some interesting battles by calling upon nature to do battle alongside your pets. Mana intensive though it may be I believe it would be a rewarding challenge to play. With a good (ie: low negative) Mage Weapon you could also swing a Staff/Sword or Kryss and really play it up while having nearly every feature in the game at your disposal.

I’ve been interested in RP’ing for a while now and this has rekindled those thoughts in me. Thanks for the post and good luck!

G

Thanks for your responses!

I think I'm best going with my current scottish drill instructor having some hounds to keep the new recruits in line, using your template;

GM Archery
GM Tactics
GM Anatomy
GM Taming
GM Lore
95 Healing
93 Vet
22 Tracking

How much taming and lore is required to keep two dire wolves under control? I've no point GMing the skill if I'm only gonna be using dire wolves, and they don't require GM?

K

Keno

If you're looking only for just the ability to control Dire Wolves you could actually drop Taming and Lore substantially (90/80 or less) and you could have someone tame them for you then put the points in other areas. On the Stratics site under "Animal Taming" you can punch in some numbers to see what you'd need. I'm not certain it has been updated with the 50/50 control chance information yet - since they changed control from 80% Taming + 20% Lore.
Of course that would take away from the: "There I was; alone. The sole surviving member of our party after the betrayal by one of those scum from *incert city name here*. Nearly bled out and dying but satisfied that the traitorous scum who led us into the trap had died from my own hands. Then I could sense more than hear their presence..." Then you could tell the story of how you were befriended by these beasts and now they are your honored companions. Of course you could always just say they were a gift from the "Lady of the Wood" too but that's another story. lol
I'll get my imagination under control now.
If you need more points to put into something else and just want to control some Dire Wolves you can drop the points down. If you want to tame them yourself and be able to tame/control other creatures, or if you want the title that goes with being a Tamer, you could keep them up and have at it. The choice is really yours and in how you wish to play the DI (Drill Instructor).
Hope this helps and let me know how it works out please. If available I may try to join your RP guild if possible.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

How much taming and lore is required to keep two dire wolves under control? I've no point GMing the skill if I'm only gonna be using dire wolves, and they don't require GM?

[/ QUOTE ]

www.noxins.net &lt;----- There is a calculator for that on noxins site : )

I

imported_Tina Small

Here are two other possibilities:

110 Lore (If you're going to use bigger pets, you will need a decent amount of lore skill. This is also enough to lore the untamable monsters.)
100 Tracking
100 Detect Hidden
100 Taming
100 Veterinary
100 Magery (Won't be real useful for damage but you can rez and you can summon. Maybe a demon to go with the dire wolves?)
100 Hiding (Could use a hiryu or cu sidhe and stay hidden until prey is close.)

110 Lore
100 Tracking
100 Detect Hidden
100 Taming
100 Veterinary
100 Magery
100 Spirit Speak (See/track and talk to ghosts, or just see/track the ghosts but don't let on you see them by not talking to them. LOL)

G

I gotta reitterate here guys, this is a low fantasy RP guild; think regular medieval armies, but with a little UO lore thrown in; The best pet I can use is Dire Wolves, and due to community limitations I may only have two - So I don't need higher taming/lore than required to get and train those two beasts, as I'm not gonna be charging around with a dragon or deathwatch beetle behind me.

Good sense of imagination Keno, but this is purely some gruff scottish sod with 2 vicious hounds

I'll take a look at that calculator, and see how much taming/lore will be needed to tame and control dire wolves - Actually, I can't - The calculator doesn't account for pets that aren't at the high end = /

Thanks guys!

L

Luvan

This rp business sounds fun...
What shard are you on?
im on cats and i would love to get more into rp'ing

I

imported_GFY

<blockquote><hr>

If I were making an RP tamer it would be something like this
Wrestling
Anatomy
Healing
Taming
Vet
Lore
resist

Long ago I met a guy in Cove who was wrestling his grizzly bear and both of them were tough compared to my character at the time. Anyways I always thought that would make a good RP character.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure about your RP rules but if you dropped wrestling and carry swords of prosperity you could drop wrestling and boost everything else to 120 and magery to 110 (710 total)

G

<blockquote><hr>

This rp business sounds fun...
What shard are you on?
im on cats and i would love to get more into rp'ing

[/ QUOTE ]

Europa, CoRE Community (Community of Roleplayers, Europa)

http://cove.fantasyworld.nl/ for our website. (The Baronship of Cove)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
For Command Macros you can set them up where you whisper the verbal command for the pets (only those players really close will see the text) and then us a regular Say for what every you want folks to see. Pets don't fall under the distance rules for Commands when whispered.

I

imported_Tina Small

<blockquote><hr>

I gotta reitterate here guys, this is a low fantasy RP guild; think regular medieval armies, but with a little UO lore thrown in; The best pet I can use is Dire Wolves, and due to community limitations I may only have two - So I don't need higher taming/lore than required to get and train those two beasts, as I'm not gonna be charging around with a dragon or deathwatch beetle behind me.

Good sense of imagination Keno, but this is purely some gruff scottish sod with 2 vicious hounds

I'll take a look at that calculator, and see how much taming/lore will be needed to tame and control dire wolves - Actually, I can't - The calculator doesn't account for pets that aren't at the high end = /

Thanks guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a look in the Hunter's Guide on Stratics: http://uo.stratics.com/database/view.php?db_content=hunters&amp;id=381 . 83.1 taming requirement, so you probably need same amount of lore. If you can use necromancy (not sure you can, based on your other comments), it sounds like you may be able to tame them with 0 taming skill under the right circumstances. However, I don't know how well you would be able to control them or keep them loyal.

G

You newer thought of a tamer, but in demon form?

Gm magery
Gm eval
Gm medi
Gm taming
Gm lore
Gm alchemy
Gm wrestling

You will use 2 Imps.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
My question is, how can you be a medieval Scot and not be swinging a claymore? Can't think what the UO equivalent might be, maybe a viking sword? With that in mind, this would be my recommendation for a Scottish warrior with hounds.

Swords 110
Tactics 110
Anatomy 110
Healing 100
Taming 80
Animal Lore 100
Veterinary 100

I believe that adds up to 710, and will allow you to heal and resurrect your hounds nicely, as well as be a very respectable wild Scot warrior.

edit: If you can get the scroll, you would be more effective if you bumped your swords up to 120 and dropped your tactics to 100.