• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

taming dreads

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
ok I have 110.6 taming 100 lore and was in papua for 2 hours with dread all to myself i also have 110 peace make and just could not get it tamed i even tried to beat it down to a sliver of the health bar and about every 15 tries i would get the message you begin to tame then fail is there a secret here or am i just having bad luck 110.6 should be enough should it not?
i finnally gave up and just killed it what a waste

J

Joyous2K

at 117.7 taming 120 lore I failed in 3 attempts and was successful with one.

Try taking off jewelry and etc... to figure out what the minimum required taming skill is. If the min is 110, then you would have like 1 chances in 200 or something low. Like for example, using Stratics taming site, at 106.1 Taming and 120 Lore a tamer has 0.4% chance to tame a Fire Steed. That is 1 success in every 250 taming attempts.

Conversely, if you are not jeweled up, jewel up to 120 and your odds will increase drastically.

*You seem to anger* beast doesn't count for anything as relates to attempting to tame, but I read somewhere that there is only 1 out of 20 attempts that do not anger the beast and you begin taming. Of course it's random, but it is set to average out to 1/20th.

No tricks, just the usual, spam tame macro, begin tame, stay alive, repeat as necessary.

GL!

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 taming/lore i've failed 10+ times sometimes, other times ive tamed it in one try

K

Kurgan

Dido..
120 tame, lore, vet
Failed many times before finally getting it tamed.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
120 tame/vet/lore

ive tamed a few that i got on the first shot, a couple that took 3 or 4 and i had one that took over 20.

i put these up with cu's or maybe even higher for min taming required.

and id say just off hand, with lore that low i can see why ya failed so many times.
invest the 1k and get a 110 animal lore scroll and then spend the hour to get it up to 110.
its well worth it, not only will yo be able to tame better, but your pets will listen better.

i run a min of 115 on all my tamers.
thats usually 110 natural and then the taming tali for the last 5.
thats minimum.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
i was checking my tamer and i have lore scrolled to 110 and its 106 i bad but still another 4 in lore should help and then i guess i need to work my tame up to 120 lol arg i should just buy one anyone know what they go for on ls shard

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 taming/lore i've failed 10+ times sometimes, other times ive tamed it in one try
Same, had one this am took me I bet at least 20 tries to tame it & 120 all real. Thing was it stats sucked too & was taming it to give it away to anyone. Next one that popped was had nice hp & resists & tamed it on 4 tries. It's all in the roll of the dice I guess. (do make sure you are full tho on food, noticed on these it does make a difference)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have 120 all taming and I fail time and time again... more often than not when I'm trying to tame it someone else always ends up getting it done before I do...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since I was unable to transfer one to someone who had 105.6 taming, but was able to when a better ring bumped him up to 106.6 I'm surmising that 'minimum to tame' is 106.

I take ages to even get a tame attempt started (120 tame & lore real), but I turned that into an advantage by using that time to lead it out of the guardzone, ie out of Cove gates, then led it up and down a clear spot on the coast till I finally succeeded.

B

Beastmaster

I registered just now just to reply to this misleading thread. Some of the posters in this thread should know better but I guess they didn't.

Animal LORE has 0, zilch, notta, to do with taming Dread Horses or anything else. Last night I tamed one with 120 taming and 0 lore. I had removed lore in order to add provocation to my template for purposes of working the event.

If you doubt what I say just go to the stratics calculator and put in 0 for your lore and check the required taming. Repeat with 120 lore. Same answer.

Lore is for animal control. You don't have to control something to tame it (in UO at least).

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
beastmaster is right. by the way: animal lore is also helpful in healing your pet

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A dread went wild at skara stable couple nights ago, and at 120 taming I tried for about 30 minutes and could not re-tame it. I dragged the thing all over northern Skara trying, I guess it had been tamed and re-tamed a couple times... C'mon people! Feed your pets!

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I registered just now just to reply to this misleading thread. Some of the posters in this thread should know better but I guess they didn't.

Animal LORE has 0, zilch, notta, to do with taming Dread Horses or anything else. Last night I tamed one with 120 taming and 0 lore. I had removed lore in order to add provocation to my template for purposes of working the event.

If you doubt what I say just go to the stratics calculator and put in 0 for your lore and check the required taming. Repeat with 120 lore. Same answer.

Lore is for animal control. You don't have to control something to tame it (in UO at least).
Makes a difference if you are going to TAKE it or tame it. To TAKE you will need the lore. I know for a fact, for it happened on a stupid dark wolf. A friend wanted one for sh*ts & giggles so she tamed it on her other main tamer, gave it to me to give to her baby tamer as we call her. Well she had 97 tame on her & 50 Lore & she COULD NOT ACCEPT it in a trade! Words popped up "this animal refuses to be transfered because it will not OBEY ****" Added 10 more lore & a 10 lore ring & she was able to accept the wolf. So in this aspect Lore does play a part.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am kind of not wanting to get into this as my experience is somewhat different .....

I tamed my first Dread with 108.3 Taming. I simply took it outside Cove, Got off my Mare and had the mare beat the Dread down. I then proceeded to peace/lead tame the thing. I tamed it with no real issues.

Ihave subsequently been taming them for folks on occasion but mostly tradeing up.

I just don't see the same difficulty in taming as is reported here. That isn't saying you are not having the issue.

In another thread on the original boards, concerning Greater Dragons, I made a post about how I was having a miserable time trying to tame GD's on TC1 with Legendary Skills. Others would just come in make a few attempts and walk out with the GD.

I changed my stats to cap str and set int to 105 and dex to 25.

Well .... it might just be coincidence but ... from that time forward I have had no real issue with taming the GD's on TC1.

I have followed the same stat template on LA and ... well I just have not hade big issues with taming things once I get a few points above the min req taming.

Please this is not to say your not having issues, it is just a statement of my experience.