• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tamer without vet

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I'm thinking of trying out a new tamer template:
120 Taming
120 Animal Lore
120 Magery
120 Meditation
120 Music
120 Discord

How viable is a tamer without vet? With the build above I can run consume and heal/cure with magery but won't be able to rez my pets. Discord will also help decrease damage the pet takes. Maybe I could squeeze some vet in with +skill on items.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Just a thought, if you are only intending to heal/cure with magery, why not go with, say 50 magery. Then you can add 70 vet. Use skill jewelry and a spellbook to get to magery higher and have a jewelry set on you for vet, so when you do need to Rez a pet, hopefully on very rare occasions, you can toss on the vet jewelry and do that

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Heck with the Elixir of Rebirth (craftable) there is honestly no reason to carry Vet any more.

Which is sad imo... vet should be mandatory for a tamer imho. Especially when an 820+ skill template is very easily achieved.. but to each their own. :thumbup1:

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm thinking of trying out a new tamer template:
120 Taming
120 Animal Lore
120 Magery
120 Meditation
120 Music
120 Discord

How viable is a tamer without vet? With the build above I can run consume and heal/cure with magery but won't be able to rez my pets. Discord will also help decrease damage the pet takes. Maybe I could squeeze some vet in with +skill on items.
My main tamer runs without Vet. There are a few encounters where it can become a problem, but I duo a lot with @Khaelor who does have vet and they will often Vet both their pet and mine if needed.

For instance, I've done champ spawns, peerless, Khaldun, Krampus, etc. without needing vet. Actually, often times even if I had vet I probably wouldn't bandage on some encounter, just due to the proximity required and some mobs tendencies to change aggro. When me and @Khaelor do doom, they will vet both our pets which frees me up to nuke the Dark Father or deal with adds. Vet is useful at Monstrous Interred Grizzle due to the casting speed debuff as well.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
My main tamer runs without Vet. There are a few encounters where it can become a problem, but I duo a lot with @Khaelor who does have vet and they will often Vet both their pet and mine if needed.

For instance, I've done champ spawns, peerless, Khaldun, Krampus, etc. without needing vet. Actually, often times even if I had vet I probably wouldn't bandage on some encounter, just due to the proximity required and some mobs tendencies to change aggro. When me and @Khaelor do doom, they will vet both our pets which frees me up to nuke the Dark Father or deal with adds. Vet is useful at Monstrous Interred Grizzle due to the casting speed debuff as well.
What is your tamers skills that doesn't have vet? Which shard is he on? I've also considered playing this character on a new shard so I can hunt with some of the people who post here.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
What is your tamers skills that doesn't have vet?
120 Taming
120 Lore
106 Magery
120 Eval
102 Spirit Speak
100 Necromancy
120 Spellweaving

I'll swap 120 Spellweaving for 120 Meditation, or 102 Spirit Speak for 102 Meditation, depending on the encounter.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
120 Taming
120 Lore
106 Magery
120 Eval
102 Spirit Speak
100 Necromancy
120 Spellweaving

I'll swap 120 Spellweaving for 120 Meditation, or 102 Spirit Speak for 102 Meditation, depending on the encounter.
That's the same as my main tamer except I have vet instead of spellweaving.

Which shard do you guys play on?

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I think I can probably squeeze vet in. Is there any benefit to having 120 real taming over 90 real skill? Does it affect the masteries at all? If not, then I'm thinking I could get 90 real skill in taming/lore/vet and get +15 in each of those on a ring and bracelet. Get a spellbook with +magery and I should be OK.

Last edited:

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
In generally don't use vet on my builds. I just keep it on a soulstone to rez when necessary.

My main template is a pure bard: 115 Taming; 110 Lore; 120 Magery; 4X120 bar skills. With the peace masteries, it's rare that a mob will take my pet too close to death without me being able to mount it and run, and if it does, that usually means I'm being wiped in general, haha.

I am currently building a mage/tamer: 120 taming; 120 Lore; 120 magery; 120 meditation; 120 SW; 120 eval. Gift of Life obviously would help greatly with rezzing.

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think I can probably squeeze vet in. Is there any benefit to having 120 real taming over 90 real skill? Does it affect the masteries at all? If not, then I'm thinking I could get 90 real skill in taming/lore/vet and get +15 in each of those on a ring and bracelet. Get a spellbook with +magery and I should be OK.
From my understanding, 120 taming/lore makes a massive difference with the taming masteries. I have 90 taming/lore in the character I'm building towards 120, and while I use whispering often, consume damage just isn't worth it at this level.

Gardo

Journeyman
The mastery abilities will cost more at 90 real skill, which makes keeping consume running more difficult. I believe there is a tool on the K’s website that will let you plug and play your skills/MR and see the difference.....

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
As twins we also have the luxury of never having to solo anything serious so we cannot answer the Vet question for you. Maybe you can multi-client an EJ stealth Vetter when things go haywire? Though indeed nothing beats playing with others actively!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think everyone is missing the elephant in the room....

Without Vet, you're lacking 1/3 of your stable slots. You might feel comfortable with less slots, but eventually you will find yourself wanting more.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I think everyone is missing the elephant in the room....

Without Vet, you're lacking 1/3 of your stable slots. You might feel comfortable with less slots, but eventually you will find yourself wanting more.
It's actually only 3 slots with no vet, but then you can just buy tokens until you have 39 stable slots... then when those are full you just make a new tamer... and buy tokens for it... not that I've done that or anything~

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I think he means you miss 1/3 of the slots from those skills.
Yea I know, I was more just making a joke about pet addiction. But honestly with all the bonuses you can get from expansions, add-ons, and masteries, losing the stable slots from Vet isn't too bad.

tanotan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My temp with vet: Human with 120 taming, Lore, Vet, Magery, Eval Int, Spellweaving. 20 HPR and 30 MR on Armor + additional 4 MR (Soulcharge 30%) on Shield and 3 MR on Book (or balakai staff). Taming Mastery 3 on character. When I run consume damage or other Taming Masteries, I am always happy vetting my pet with bandies and not wasting Mana for great heal or Cure. So in my opinion, it depends on your template, wether vet gives you a benefit or not.

ryanouno

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Im mostly running with 4/6 chivalry archer spellweaver tamer with just 40 vet.

When i need to ress my pet i mostly have up gift of life or i equip jewellry +30 vet and fishing pole +10 vet.

Spellweaving with gift of renewal gives you huge amounth of healing and combined with Consume Damage and Close Wounds you will be ok on most bosses.

With your temp ill lower medit to 80 (or medit and magery to 100) and get 40 vet just to be able to ress a pet with different jewells.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Im mostly running with 4/6 chivalry archer spellweaver tamer with just 40 vet.

When i need to ress my pet i mostly have up gift of life or i equip jewellry +30 vet and fishing pole +10 vet.

Spellweaving with gift of renewal gives you huge amounth of healing and combined with Consume Damage and Close Wounds you will be ok on most bosses.

With your temp ill lower medit to 80 (or medit and magery to 100) and get 40 vet just to be able to ress a pet with different jewells.
When you cast Gift of renewal on a pet, does it last until pet dies or is it on a timer so you have to keep casting it? I'm working on my spellweaving skill now, so just getting accustomed to the spells and how they work. What other spells from the spellweaving line work well for tamers?

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Gift of Renewal is a heal over time (HOT for short) and will need to be refreshed after a cool down period. Gift of Life is a ress you can cast on yourself and your pet, only. And that has a 15 min timer (I think).

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
None of my templates have much vet. I run four primary templates, three of which have 35 vet so I can equip +20 jewelry and a +10 fishing pole to rez. No room on my pure bard tamer for any vet, unfortunately.

Mage Tamer
Taming: 120
Lore: 120
Eval: 120
Meditation: 110
SW: 120
Magery: 115
Vet: 35

Disco Tamer
Disco: 120
Music: 120
Meditation: 120

Necro Tamer
Necro: 110
Spirit Speak: 120
Eval: 120

Pure Bard Tamer
Music/Disco/Provo/Peace: 480
Magery: 120
Taming: 110
Lore: 115

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I can always stone over vet, but that doesn't help if I'm doing Shadowguard or in the middle of a spawn. Plan to keep Gift of Life up as often as possible. Many of the people I hunt with are tamers with vet though, so they can also help me out.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
When you cast Gift of renewal on a pet, does it last until pet dies or is it on a timer so you have to keep casting it? I'm working on my spellweaving skill now, so just getting accustomed to the spells and how they work. What other spells from the spellweaving line work well for tamers?
Plan to keep Gift of Life up as often as possible. Many of the people I hunt with are tamers with vet though, so they can also help me out.
On gift of renewal... I can gift on pet, then bless myself. When the bless wears off, gift is running out on the pet. Just an easy way to make sure the pet has renewal at all times..

On gift of Life I cast that on the me first, then pet. Once my timer is running out I cast on me and then pet.

Keep your buff bar up and it makes it easier to watch the timers.