• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tamer vs Monstrous Interred Grizzle

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Monstrous Interred Grizzle - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Keys are from Bedlam named mobs except Red Death. Takes many kills to get them.

Who can do it: It drops acid so stay out of the pools if a melee toon. Tamers and distance toons are pretty easy. It does not re target so you don't take much damage once a pet is on it. But it moves around so stay out of the acid pools.

You do not need the Bedlam quest to go to Grizzle as a party member. But you need quest to get keys.

Make sure you know where the exit is before you go.

This is a common Community Hunt on LS. We went tonight. A sampire also takes us. He can kill the stuff in Bedlam before I can target my pet.

You will go back downstairs and pop out here:
upload_2018-7-18_23-39-2.png

Basically run South and go into the gates and you will pop out.
upload_2018-7-18_23-40-42.png

You start in Umbra. We had 11 players but 2 left party to let one in so we had 9 in the group.
2 Archers, 1 Mystic/SW/Mage, rest tamers.
The leader gave instructions. 3 had not been before:
upload_2018-7-18_23-45-20.png

upload_2018-7-18_23-48-18.png

We entered and went to the second floor. The fighting area is pretty small:

upload_2018-7-18_23-49-56.png

Ill put the pics here. I was busy taking pics and didn't have my pet bar up. So my pet died fast, was prob standing in the acid. To avoid this you should call pet to you when it is in the acid and attack from a different angle.(and not take pics) Running consume also would keep your pet alive. I did not do that until fight was half over.
Grizzles attacks are not very strong. The acid is.
My pet was the only death. I was flipping between multiple screens to paste my pics so my pet almost died again. ( I took at least 10 more pics) Ill show the bars in the pics, no toons were getting damaged. I have very slow reflexes. That is why I never take 2 toons to anything difficult.
Notice players changing position to get their pets out of acid pools. (except me, I'm in only 2 spots)

Grizzle does an area spell that hits everything:
upload_2018-7-18_23-55-7.png

upload_2018-7-18_23-56-24.png
upload_2018-7-18_23-57-31.png
upload_2018-7-18_23-58-38.png
upload_2018-7-18_23-59-44.png
upload_2018-7-19_0-1-6.png
upload_2018-7-19_0-2-19.png
upload_2018-7-19_0-3-48.png
upload_2018-7-19_0-5-10.png

That was the fight. It did not last long. But there was 9 of us.

Here are the Stats of Grizzle:

upload_2018-7-19_0-7-47.png

It has magery and spellweaving.

High fire resist, low poison.

And as usual, the Pawain™ method of resist setting gives you 80% resist in all the damages.

Very fun fight.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually, the Monstrous Interred Grizzle can switch targets since the Pet Revamp, because the Pet Revamp gave him access to the Spellweaving ability, meaning he casts Wildfire, Thunderstorm and Essence of Wind. There's a chance he'll switch to any target hit with these abilities. I used to just stand 2 tiles behind my pet and vet it the whole time before the Pet Revamp, but now he can switch to me whenever i get ticked by his Wildfire.

A 100% Poison Crimson/Platinum Drake with Chiv+AI does well on the Monstrous Interred Grizzle, since he's very vulnerable to Poison damage. The Monstrous Interred Grizzle can be discorded, although Undead Slayer curiously doesn't apply to him, so use a GM Instrument. His acid not only does 30 damage a tick (his acid piles can stack on top of each other too...), but it also wrecks the hell out of durability on Armor. Definitely not a fight for melee. The more pets that are on the Monstrous Interred Grizzle, the harder it becomes to keep them all healed. That's because they'll all be taking acid damage at the same time, meaning you have to split your healing between the pets, which can be risky.

As for collecting the keys, i use a Wrest Mastery Fire Beetle, along with my Discord (Undead Slayer). Chiv pets aren't a great idea down there, due to all the different kinds of mobs that get bonus damage on your pet during EoO. Sir Patrick (the white BK) has a damage aura, so stand back as your pet kills him. Also stand back when your pet is fighting any of the Bone Mages, such as Master Jonath or Master Mikael, for they can AoE with Wither or Poison Strike and switch targets to you. The drop rate of the Disintegrating Thesis Notes isn't too bad, considering i can usually get 30 (6 runs worth) in about 1.5-2 hours. I use a Stealth/Archer to turn in the Disintegrating Thesis Notes, and drop the item on the table to get the teleporter Keys into the Grizzle's room.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My pet was the only death. Four or five tamers were there, nothing died but my pet that was in acid probably while I was flipping screens.

You can see from my pics if anyone was casting heals or not. It was moving around and was using wildfire. (Ill edit that when on a better device. Thanks)

That was a group with random players some first time there.

Also I replayed so I could warn about the acid staying after its death. One guy almost died while looting because he was in it.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I am glad the pet revamp has made tamers able to actually fight in there again. Those acid pools killed off pets too quickly prior to that.

Good job man.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Our guide told them to call the pets back and attack from a new angle.
Yeah, would imagine that is still necessary and at times could be challenging as well with how pets would like to get "hung" up due to the terrain in there (book cases). Those old pets with 4-500 hp's would not last long in the acid pool as you moved to where they would actually come to ya... with the 900+ hp's these days makes that a much greater chance of success.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also I replayed so I could warn about the acid staying after its death. One guy almost died while looting because he was in it.
Lol, yeah. Whenever i host Grizzle as a hunt, me and a guildy always take bets on how many newer guildies are going to die to acid while looting, even after we've told them to wait for acid to dissipate before looting.

Our guide told them to call the pets back and attack from a new angle. We are lucky to have her on LS.
Pets can have a hard time moving away quickly enough during the Howl of Cacophony. You give them the order to follow you, you get the "obeyed" sound from the pet, but i'll just stand there for a few secs before moving.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Lol, yeah. Whenever i host Grizzle as a hunt, me and a guildy always take bets on how many newer guildies are going to die to acid while looting, even after we've told them to wait for acid to dissipate before looting.
:D

I do the same thing when I take folks to the Stygian Dragon. :thumbup1:

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I started this quest chain last night. I got 3 of the notes before I had to log off. Bedlam is pretty difficult, I died a couple times. Not sure if a Cu is the best pet to use there. Lady Jennifyr does `60% cold damage though, so maybe they are. My cu got surrounded by named mobs a couple times, even with consume on he died.

I want a Grizzled Mare; can they be leveled up now? Is it a rare drop or pretty common?

Can the boss be solo'd? Which pet would work best?

Last edited:

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I want a Grizzled Mare; can they be leveled up now? Is it a rare drop or pretty common?
The Grizzled Mare can apparently be trained but only 1-3 which makes it pretty undesirable other than for looks. No stats or skills are overcapped and they start very low (HP, Str and Int around 100, resists 30-50ish. Only interesting thing it has is Chaos damage, that is to say it does 20% of each damage type. I believe it is a pretty low drop chance.

Of course there is a chance the one I have is bottom of the barrel!! The info on the summoned version suggests higher spawn stats and resists so there could be variation.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
The Grizzled Mare can apparently be trained but only 1-3 which makes it pretty undesirable other than for looks. No stats or skills are overcapped and they start very low (HP, Str and Int around 100, resists 30-50ish. Only interesting thing it has is Chaos damage, that is to say it does 20% of each damage type. I believe it is a pretty low drop chance.

Of course there is a chance the one I have is bottom of the barrel!! The info on the summoned version suggests higher spawn stats and resists so there could be variation.
It's a pity it can't go to 5 slots. Does it have any magic skills?

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's a pity it can't go to 5 slots. Does it have any magic skills?
It has no abilities at all, a clean sheet if you will. It is however Necro ready so that would be zero training points to activate the Necro skill if you desired. It is a shame that its only 1-3, would make a pretty interesting 5 slot pet.

I have not activated it's training as it's bonded to my Sampire and has been sat in the stable for years!! Needless to say I don't know the full scope of what you can add ability wise. Heres the stat sheet anyhoo...

A key thing to mention is... It can not be transferred. So if you get the statuette, use only on the character you want to keep it on.

Grizzled Mare.jpg

Last edited:

SouthPaw

Lore Master
It has no abilities at all, a clean sheet if you will. It is however Necro ready so that would be zero training points to activate the Necro skill if you desired. It is a shame that its only 1-3, would make a pretty interesting 5 slot pet.

I have not activated it's training as it's bonded to my Sampire and has been sat in the stable for years!! Needless to say I don't know the full scope of what you can add ability wise. Heres the stat sheet anyhoo...

A key thing to mention is... It can not be transferred. So if you get the statuette, use only on the character you want to keep it on.

View attachment 87079
It would make an awesome 5 slot pet! Why devs? Why?!

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Chaos damage does not do equal damage of all the types, it randomly selects the elemental damage each hit.

Copied from UOGuide: Chaos Damage is a random chance for one of the elemental damages, namely: Physical; Fire; Cold; Poison; or Energy Damage. Chaos damage comes with all of the drawbacks and benefits that accompany each Damage Type.

I have tried and tested different chaos bows many times and it is a random damage weapon which to me has no practical use. It will hit for high damage on one hit and the next hit, hit for 5 damage. I wouldn't think that would be good for a pet, it seems you'd have an 80% chance of a low damage hit.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Chaos damage does not do equal damage of all the types, it randomly selects the elemental damage each hit.

Copied from UOGuide: Chaos Damage is a random chance for one of the elemental damages, namely: Physical; Fire; Cold; Poison; or Energy Damage. Chaos damage comes with all of the drawbacks and benefits that accompany each Damage Type.

I have tried and tested different chaos bows many times and it is a random damage weapon which to me has no practical use. It will hit for high damage on one hit and the next hit, hit for 5 damage. I wouldn't think that would be good for a pet, it seems you'd have an 80% chance of a low damage hit.
I stand corrected, Tx.

I've never used Chaos Damage weapons, 100% Ele damage weapons (where applicable) have always been waaay more desirable.

In this case the grizzled mare doesen't do chaos damage its just 20% of each. :thumbsup: