• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tamer VS Fel Champ Spawn

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It had been about 4-5 years since I did a fel spawn and I had never done one on a tamer until a few days ago. A friend popped a rat at a T2A and asked if I wanted to pop in and help. I was on my tamer/mage/stealth template with a 8x Chiv Goo Reptalon. So I just ran to the spawn with that set up wearing a 2480 luck suit with 70-70-50-60-40 resist 100lrc 40MI 30MR 20 LMC (Suit ain't built for spawning). I didn't time it exactly but it took the 2 of us roughly 20-25 minutes to do the spawn. All I did was stealth around letting the reptalon waste large groups of spawn with the Goo and holy light.

So I decided to try a different tamer template after that and solo a couple of despise. 120 tame 120 lore 60 vet 120 swords 120 tactics 80 chiv 100 archery. Just running a imbued studded dex suit with 70s 12 MR 40MI 40 SI. Vermin slayer tali and a undead, demon and reptile cameos in the pack for other than rats. and a 100 energy axe with 70 mana leech 60 life leech 30ssi 50DI I grabbed from some corpse or another and liked. Bow a composite long bow with 25HCI 50DI 40SSI with 6mr 6HPR (Legendary off of a dread pirate) Pet was a Bushido Goo Lesser Hiryu 900HP and 8x legenday.

I did three despise that took 22 minutes and 18 minutes 3rd despise run got raided but no Tyraths were harmed. Thanks to the sentry and some invis pots. Went to T2A and popped a undead and reptile 35 minutes for the undead and 50 minutes for the reptile. The rat spawns I rarely had to heal the hiryu and the life leech and chiv healing was more than enough to keep me alive. The reptile has always been my weakest champ even when I was doing 10-12 spawns per day every day. And more than a few times had to jewel up and rez sparfucil and self rez myself. The undead spawn was relatively easy for sparfucil and his whirl winds and goo.
I did another despise run a couple of hours later and switched to a Mystic Goo CU and it took 26 minutes.

Not record spawn times by any stretch but not bad considering how rusty I am at spawns. You really don't need a top tier suit. You do need a strong high HP AOE pet that can deal out alot of DPS with Goo and drop whirl winds or big damage area mystic or SW spells. A Chiv pet is a very poor choice and gets tore up in the later parts of the spawn. Drawing mobs in and standing center of the pet and firing your own whirl winds off with the axe or whatever weapon makes fast work of the mobs. Switching to the Bow for the champ while the pet tanks it is very effective (I also pack a set of necro jewels and a midnight bracer that I toss on for the rat champ that gets me enough skill to use wraith form.)

A note about power scrolls........... A lot of folks just won't or have never done a champ spawn and are under the impression that you get a bunch of 120 scrolls every champ. That is NOT the case :) you get a bunch of everything but 120s for the most part and 120s semi regular. Most runs you are going to go home with a couple of 115s and the rest 105s and 110s. It is a unwritten rule as well that whatever scrolls you actually need......... will be the scrolls that you most rarely get :) Have a friend or a second acct use justice and get the bonus scrolls. Unless you are just really lucky most of your 120s will come from binding those 110s and 115s, it takes some time but they do add up. Before Pub 97 I had accumulated around 1k 120 power scrolls (I hoard stuff and rarely sell anything :( ) I have since burned through those scrolls that can be used on pets but probably 3/4ths of those 120 scrolls came from binding 110s and 120s after scroll binders were introduced. I do believe that 105s and 110s should be put on tram rule set champs and 105s in lvl 6 and 110s in LvL 7 Fel and Ilsh T maps maybe even 115s. Without question 120s should remain fel champs only. Just my opinion and given the randomness of the scroll drops and the difficulty of the tram champs, no one would be mass binding 120s from the tram ruleset.

A note about getting raided and PKd.............. If you can't emotionally deal with getting killed by another player or players stay out of fel. I spend 90% of my time farming in Fel and have solid tactics for avoiding PKs and PvP even so occasionally one gets me. I have a very high level of SUCKING at PvP :) The win for me is avoiding it and getting the loot to the bank........... But it is the nature of Fel that you are not going to win every time :)

Prior to Pub 97 tamers were pretty much worthless at fel champ spawns outside of Dragon Turtle hatchlings and Greater Dragons and they were very far removed from being ideal. Post pub97 Pets and tamers are viable spawners and with a non traditional character template can be nearly as effective as the other spawn farming templates. Anyway I am very rusty as spawning and if I am getting it done pretty much anyone can do it. Just expect to get raided and die now and then.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GDs are still useful but there are many better pets now. I am a Reptalon and Hiryu guy myself, others swear by CUs contrary to some belief all pets are not the same now and different pets are better for different mobs and bosses. The Roof and Anon being a prime example of where things like the 100% elemental drakes, fire beetles, reptalons shine. Spawns or anything with heavy mobs where the Bushido or Necro Pets with a area of effect (AOE) rule. To Single target bosses where Cus, and chiv pets rule. The GD is still what it has always been........ A high HP meat shield that delivers a decent amount of damage.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
It had been about 4-5 years since I did a fel spawn and I had never done one on a tamer until a few days ago. A friend popped a rat at a T2A and asked if I wanted to pop in and help. I was on my tamer/mage/stealth template with a 8x Chiv Goo Reptalon. So I just ran to the spawn with that set up wearing a 2480 luck suit with 70-70-50-60-40 resist 100lrc 40MI 30MR 20 LMC (Suit ain't built for spawning). I didn't time it exactly but it took the 2 of us roughly 20-25 minutes to do the spawn. All I did was stealth around letting the reptalon waste large groups of spawn with the Goo and holy light.

So I decided to try a different tamer template after that and solo a couple of despise. 120 tame 120 lore 60 vet 120 swords 120 tactics 80 chiv 100 archery. Just running a imbued studded dex suit with 70s 12 MR 40MI 40 SI. Vermin slayer tali and a undead, demon and reptile cameos in the pack for other than rats. and a 100 energy axe with 70 mana leech 60 life leech 30ssi 50DI I grabbed from some corpse or another and liked. Bow a composite long bow with 25HCI 50DI 40SSI with 6mr 6HPR (Legendary off of a dread pirate) Pet was a Bushido Goo Lesser Hiryu 900HP and 8x legenday.

I did three despise that took 22 minutes and 18 minutes 3rd despise run got raided but no Tyraths were harmed. Thanks to the sentry and some invis pots. Went to T2A and popped a undead and reptile 35 minutes for the undead and 50 minutes for the reptile. The rat spawns I rarely had to heal the hiryu and the life leech and chiv healing was more than enough to keep me alive. The reptile has always been my weakest champ even when I was doing 10-12 spawns per day every day. And more than a few times had to jewel up and rez sparfucil and self rez myself. The undead spawn was relatively easy for sparfucil and his whirl winds and goo.
I did another despise run a couple of hours later and switched to a Mystic Goo CU and it took 26 minutes.

Not record spawn times by any stretch but not bad considering how rusty I am at spawns. You really don't need a top tier suit. You do need a strong high HP AOE pet that can deal out alot of DPS with Goo and drop whirl winds or big damage area mystic or SW spells. A Chiv pet is a very poor choice and gets tore up in the later parts of the spawn. Drawing mobs in and standing center of the pet and firing your own whirl winds off with the axe or whatever weapon makes fast work of the mobs. Switching to the Bow for the champ while the pet tanks it is very effective (I also pack a set of necro jewels and a midnight bracer that I toss on for the rat champ that gets me enough skill to use wraith form.)

A note about power scrolls........... A lot of folks just won't or have never done a champ spawn and are under the impression that you get a bunch of 120 scrolls every champ. That is NOT the case :) you get a bunch of everything but 120s for the most part and 120s semi regular. Most runs you are going to go home with a couple of 115s and the rest 105s and 110s. It is a unwritten rule as well that whatever scrolls you actually need......... will be the scrolls that you most rarely get :) Have a friend or a second acct use justice and get the bonus scrolls. Unless you are just really lucky most of your 120s will come from binding those 110s and 115s, it takes some time but they do add up. Before Pub 97 I had accumulated around 1k 120 power scrolls (I hoard stuff and rarely sell anything :( ) I have since burned through those scrolls that can be used on pets but probably 3/4ths of those 120 scrolls came from binding 110s and 120s after scroll binders were introduced. I do believe that 105s and 110s should be put on tram rule set champs and 105s in lvl 6 and 110s in LvL 7 Fel and Ilsh T maps maybe even 115s. Without question 120s should remain fel champs only. Just my opinion and given the randomness of the scroll drops and the difficulty of the tram champs, no one would be mass binding 120s from the tram ruleset.

A note about getting raided and PKd.............. If you can't emotionally deal with getting killed by another player or players stay out of fel. I spend 90% of my time farming in Fel and have solid tactics for avoiding PKs and PvP even so occasionally one gets me. I have a very high level of SUCKING at PvP :) The win for me is avoiding it and getting the loot to the bank........... But it is the nature of Fel that you are not going to win every time :)

Prior to Pub 97 tamers were pretty much worthless at fel champ spawns outside of Dragon Turtle hatchlings and Greater Dragons and they were very far removed from being ideal. Post pub97 Pets and tamers are viable spawners and with a non traditional character template can be nearly as effective as the other spawn farming templates. Anyway I am very rusty as spawning and if I am getting it done pretty much anyone can do it. Just expect to get raided and die now and then.
Very nice post greatly appreciated..Gives hope to the rest of us..

RunningMan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I was thinking about trying this template. Is anyone doing it and does it still work for Champs? I have a while to go before going for champ spawns but want to try as a tamer.

North_LS

Journeyman
I easily solo champ spawns on my necro/mage/taming/lore/eval/ss character.. very fast too.
what's the ideal tactic there, wither through the first couple spawn levels, then let the pet do the heavy lifting once the heavier mobs start showing up?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With the new pet revamp I could see some very specific type pets being trained

Jaela

Journeyman
what's the ideal tactic there, wither through the first couple spawn levels, then let the pet do the heavy lifting once the heavier mobs start showing up?
Well if its rat spawn, wither ****s ALL phases very fast..
Other types you have to be careful.. but yeah basically wither 1-3 phases (sometimes just 1-2) then let the pet.. If its not rats and im not gonna be raided i use a cu w/ mystic/goo/inferno for just massive aoe
if i feel like im gonna fight often ill bring a prepatch mare ive trained w/ dismount or psychic attack.,..+ 9x120.. but i can do a rat spawn start to finish in about 12 mins alone

Jaela

Journeyman
correct.. i have +55 skill too thats just into med for the VERY few times i need to use taming mastery.. but eventually ill have +100 and put it into resists.

North_LS

Journeyman
i suppose i know what direction im going with my second tamer now - i'd been leaning toward peacekeeping, but necro/ss it is! thanks jaela, appreciate the insight.

RunningMan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Right now I am running a scardy cat tamer:
120 Tame
120 Animal Lore
120 Vet
100 Magic
100 Resist
80 Hiding
80 Stealth

I use lead taming exclusively so I die a LOT but it is fun for me. My most experienced pet is a Lesser Hiru (Whirlwind, Bushido, Explosive Goo, Dismount, Grasping Claw).

I the pet has all 120s but is not fully trained. I took him to Turtle Champ spawn last night and he had no issues but did not stay long. Does anyone recommend a champ spawn to start with for my testing? I will start adding in Necro and SS but want to see if I can get through a spawn like I am on my Scardy Cat build.

North_LS

Journeyman
i loved having GM hiding on my tamer, but lack of EI was killing me with para taming and releasing trash cus efficiently so i ended up stoning it off :(

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Archer tamer with a CU with chiv, really shines at champ spawns. I usually soloed baracoon/niera/rikkitor with my archer-tamer when i got bored of playing ABC archer/sampire. clear speed aren't that bad.

Jaela

Journeyman
i suppose i know what direction im going with my second tamer now - i'd been leaning toward peacekeeping, but necro/ss it is! thanks jaela, appreciate the insight.
You're welcome.. if you play alone alot or just duo.. it's an amazing spec.. plus it has some dmg output for pvp as well!

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Tyrath , Are you one of the select few I keep hearing about? LOL How dare you prove that spawns can be done by anyone at anytime. LOL

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Tyrath , Are you one of the select few I keep hearing about? LOL How dare you prove that spawns can be done by anyone at anytime. LOL
Nope I was the worst PvPr among all of the bad PvMr at PvP. What I did understand is that running despise will get you whacked. Running T2A was much more doable and rarely triggered a raid. But even despise and niera were both doable if you timed it right and didn't take 2 hours to get the champ up. Yep you are going to die now and then that is just part of the Fel side game. What I have never understood since insurance and bless deeds came out is this irrational fear of dying. If you are competent at all you lose nothing more than 15-30 minutes working a spawn...... Risk vs Reward and if you stroll out will max scrolls once and get raided and killed 3 times........... yeah that is better odds of rewards than Vegas gives you and the risk is laughable even when you do die in a raid. Now farming scrolls on a few shards is not worthwhile unless you are in a guild that can work and hold the spawn and splits the loots fairly, but most shards it is a simple 15-30 minute procedure that will normally be pretty painless. LOL I would wager that over the last 16-17 years more has been looted by liches from corpses in tram than has been looted by PVPs/PKs in Fel....... by a large percentage :)

That being said I understand and support scrolls on a few Tram side champs like the Tokuno Sleeping Dragon (Mainly because it is a long and more diffivult champ spawn and I got really good at soloing it)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Nope I was the worst PvPr among all of the bad PvMr at PvP. What I did understand is that running despise will get you whacked. Running T2A was much more doable and rarely triggered a raid. But even despise and niera were both doable if you timed it right and didn't take 2 hours to get the champ up. Yep you are going to die now and then that is just part of the Fel side game. What I have never understood since insurance and bless deeds came out is this irrational fear of dying. If you are competent at all you lose nothing more than 15-30 minutes working a spawn...... Risk vs Reward and if you stroll out will max scrolls once and get raided and killed 3 times........... yeah that is better odds of rewards than Vegas gives you and the risk is laughable even when you do die in a raid. Now farming scrolls on a few shards is not worthwhile unless you are in a guild that can work and hold the spawn and splits the loots fairly, but most shards it is a simple 15-30 minute procedure that will normally be pretty painless. LOL I would wager that over the last 16-17 years more has been looted by liches from corpses in tram than has been looted by PVPs/PKs in Fel....... by a large percentage :)

That being said I understand and support scrolls on a few Tram side champs like the Tokuno Sleeping Dragon (Mainly because it is a long and more diffivult champ spawn and I got really good at soloing it)
Tyrath my young Jedi..The Power of the Force is strong with you..I can see you coming back to UO soon..

North_LS

Journeyman
You're welcome.. if you play alone alot or just duo.. it's an amazing spec.. plus it has some dmg output for pvp as well!
Template is complete and i (near) soloed my first spawn with it! Brought in my other tamer to help take down barracoon faster, but overall im loving the template. I will say it's taking me quite a bit longer to advance spawn than i was expecting. Ive been letting the pet do its thing for the first couple levels without my input while i wraith around and wither clumps of spawn, but im just not seeing how you can spawn big enough clumps fast enough to advance to champ in ~15-20 minutes. i suppose its something that comes with practice?

Jaela

Journeyman
use teleport alot.. teleporting into an area aggroes everythjing in that area.. its MORE important for you to wither the first 1-2 levels. i just run around teleporting near big packs to get them to auto aggro me, wither..move i never stop moving, ever. I also don't run protection ever so no reduction in cast time.

Jaela

Journeyman
sometimes.. just gotta be smart about it.. dont really need to teleport past phases 1/2.. just run around, casters are closer around the middle area so dont have to travel as far to aggro

Rabid Sniper

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Well if you arent looking to spec out for pvp.. a great template I have found for soloing spawns with a tamer is a tamer bard.. using peace and discord.. Ill use a 5 slot pet like a Cu with both Frenzied Whilewind and Goo..maybe throw on a magic like discord or poison. (although I didn't on my main spawn pet). Then I just run around group up the mobs.. area peace, invis and tell the pet to attack one.. it will eventually goo everything on the screen and get surrounded and Then it will land a FW and clean-up.. Use area peace to control the spawn during changes.. There are a few pets you can build for being surrounded but I prefer the Cu because it can also heal itself. Discord and FW are great against the bosses.. not quite as fast as an AI pet but I FW aint no slouch on dmg output to a single target. Using consume dmg mastery, discord and some decent vetting/healing you can tank just about all of the champs solo. exception being semidar... shes pretty tough on my pets ;) Others like Primevil lich can be very challenging to get going solo, but it is doable I know that much. Good luck.. happy hunting.

Thanks for sharing! I've built up a mystic bushido goo lesser hiryu. The mysticism started with 19.5 skill points and after 3 days it's still 19.5. I've NEVER seen it casting a single myst spell. Can you figure out why is this happening?

* i've training with Crazed maged, unbound vortex, wind elemental, spawn, Navrey, and Gregorio (skara brae) etc. When at distance (and incircled by bagballs) and command it to attack, it doesn't do anything

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cant have 2 magics. You have a Bushido Cu probably. What does the Lore and Knowledge screen in black letters say?

Build a new one and put on AI next time instead of Goo.

But goo is really nice for spawns, no? i've planned to have this lesser hiryu for spawns...and I will have my beetle or any other for bosses.
I have also a tsuki in standby. What do you suggest me? Let the LH with bushido + AI, and build the tsuki with area damage abilities for spawns?

SouthPaw

Lore Master
But goo is really nice for spawns, no? i've planned to have this lesser hiryu for spawns...and I will have my beetle or any other for bosses.
I have also a tsuki in standby. What do you suggest me? Let the LH with bushido + AI, and build the tsuki with area damage abilities for spawns?
Tsuki wolves are short on points, even more so if you take a different magic than necro.

If you want something for spawns you could make a CU with mystic, armor ignore, and goo. Or a Lesser Hiryu with just mystic and goo.

Nyxx

Adventurer
Hey was hoping to bump this forum post cause Kaio said ABC Archer/Sampire duo could solo Despise.

Recently got back in to UO and i have a decently built macer sampire with an ABC archer. Would really appreciate builds on both so I can coordinate with my bud and see what stuff we have lying around to farm despise....

We're in serious shortage of PC 120's so we're going to try our hand at farming but really need some advice on how to go about it with only half decent gear LOL

thanks guys!