• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tamer Vs Dread Horn

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Horn - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
UO:Dread Horn - Stratics Community Wiki | Stratics Community Forums

Who can go: As long as someone has a pet or human tank, any other templates can join. I used my Archer bard here before Pub 97.

You have to be on a quest from Heartwood to enter Twisted Weald. The keys are like Medusa, get them and place on an alter.

upload_2018-7-11_22-45-20.png

You go past the slow sand and dodge Changelings.

The keys are harder to get than the encounter. Sometimes Irk or Guile and others will be paragons.
Tonight we went after doing 6 Mels a Medusa and turtle spawn. On our way we met 2 ghosts that were getting keys so they joined us.

Keys are:
  • Six keys are required: Blighted Cotton, Thorny Briar, Gnaw's Fang, Irk's Brain, Lissith's Silk, and Sabrix's Eye. All the keys spawn with a 7 day countdown timer, which should be plenty of time to collect them all.
  • Drop the keys on the small statue called "The Statue of the Fey" in the southeast corner of the Twisted Wealddungeon (i.e. the swamp area past the desert).
  • When you have done that, three Essence of the Wind will spawn in your back pack. These keys come with a 10-minute countdown timer, giving you a limited time to prepare your party for the final battle. Double click the master key to send you and your party to Dread Horn's island (located just to the west of the swamp area).
  • Once Dread Horn spawns, your party has 2 hours to defeat Dread Horn, after which he will just disappear if you haven't killed him. You can depart the island by walking to the boat on the left-hand side.

Once you get to the island, be ready to get poisoned. Dread horn will pounce on someone when you arrive. This trip it jumped me. I ran away and was down to 10 life. After that all went smooth.

Just sick the pets on it and try to stay further back than I do. It puts out 2 areas. One that drops stats by 20 and another that slows FC and SSI.

upload_2018-7-11_22-59-50.png

upload_2018-7-11_23-0-57.png

This one seems to die a lot faster than the other peerless that we do often. I used to try and bring a Naj here but a non mountable pet is tough to get to the alter.

Our group had 4 Cus (of course, this is LS), a Hiryu, and an archer on a tiger. No pets or players died.

Damages and resists look like this:

upload_2018-7-11_23-11-4.png

It is lowest in Physical resist. The others are high.

The Pawain method of resists works. My non Cu pets look like this:

upload_2018-7-11_23-13-35.png

If you solo it, dont bring a Cu with 45 poison resist, But you can kill it with one.

Theoretically a Giant Beetle would be a good pet to bring. Also a Hiryu would be good. A Naj if you want the 100% poison resist.

This is something that 2 players can do pretty easy. Gathering the keys will teach you how to fight in crowds. Fighting or invising a lot. Not uncommon to die getting the keys.

Dread Horn dies pretty fast.

I want a Pristine Dread Horn head so I can make the trophy.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If you can cure yourself and others of lethal poison easily and quickly as well as drain dreadhorns mana to practically nothing, it's as easy as killing a SJW corrected champ spawn rat boss.

The pet revamp made Irk into a joke as your 5 slot Cu will tear it up so fast you'd think your pet's only entertainment in the stable was an N64 with Zelda and the speakers go suprinsgly loud on "LISTEN!".

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That SSI/FC penalty you're seeing, is from the Essence of Wind spell. Dread Horn has SW after Pub 97.
Yes, a Giant Beetle with RC+AI works great on Dread Horn.

I use a Chiv+AI 100% Fire Crimson Drake for killing Irk. I'll have my Disco/Tamer stand back near the desert, and use a Stealth/Archer on my other account to pop out in Wolf Form and shoot Irk, then lure him back towards my Disco/Tamer and hide. That way i don't have to deal with any other spawn. At that point, i have my Crimson Drake follow Irk, then attack him, while trying to discord Irk as i stand at least 9 tiles away to prevent him from morphing into me. If Irk morphs into you, he gains extra Resists, and he locks onto you pretty good, making it difficult to shake him off even with invis. Even with this strategy though, Irk has such a low chance to drop his Brain, that it can take numerous Irks before you get one. I usually farm up 6 sets of keys for Guild Hunts.

If you have the teleporter keys, Essence of the Wind, you can even teleport your party onto Dreadhorn's Island from outside the Twisted Weald. I usually have my guild wait at the sparkles in the cave, as i stealth in with my Stealth/Archer, drop the keys and get the teleporters, then stealth back out.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You don't even have to do that. Have them stand at the slope behind the entrance portal into the weald and they will all get the gump if you activate it while standing next to the slope.
I will pester him this weekend and post a picture here of how to do that.

Also, for farming the keys, I find using a dragoon (sword/chiv/bushido/tactics/healing/parry/anatomy) build with a 100% fire double axe with hll, hsl, hml and hit fireball a much faster way to gather them. Honour, EoO, onslaught, double strike away, Irk is dead in 30 seconds. Same with Guile and Spite. If you have more than two of them on you, drop EoO till there is only two left, rinse and repeat.
The spiders are a joke with this build and an spider slayer double axe. Easy way to farm 200K gold while farming for their keys.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I will post them Saturday. I won't be able to play before that.
But as soon as I go pester him, I will show you all the spot.
One person drops the keys, the others stay on the ledge.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nice, easy entry. Show the pics!

Thought that was common knowledge~ Never seen any group on my server do it any other way.

K and i did six runs last night, had we known, would have taken a screenshot.
(edit: apparently he did take one)

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We always go to the altar. I also never noticed the entry is so close to the altar. This will help a lot. The person that does community hunts has the keys and we spend a lot of time getting everybody down to the altar and ressing and killing the mobs they spread around. Now I can take other pets to Dread Horn.

Thanks!

Can I fish from there also!

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I use the ledge next to the trees near the gate. It works just as good.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh well party leader went but we didnt...

upload_2018-7-12_20-50-36.png

Now he mad at me.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
you have to stand in the spots in the picture, similar in the other area bealank mentioned. Do we have come go to LS and show you?~

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
only the one with the keys need go to the altar - the rest of the party can wait in the mushroom cave (in complete safety / quietness) around the entry / exit sparkle e.g. ;-)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
only the one with the keys need go to the altar - the rest of the party can wait in the mushroom cave (in complete safety / quietness) around the entry / exit sparkle e.g. ;-)
Yep, that's what i do. I sneak my Stealth/Archer in, drop the keys, get the teleporters, sneak him back out, and give the keys to my Disco/Tamer, whose partied with my guildies.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Should work..Each time we were at the other side worked 100% of the time..We all got in pets and all..

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Maybe this will clear it up a little...

Due to the height difference of the 2 areas you need to stand relatively close. There is a little inset area that I have outlined with RED lines. There are 2 tiles in this little area. If you stack everyone on the GREEN tile (northernmost), and the keyholder stands on one of the GREEN tiles indicated in the image above, you will be in range to get the teleport.

This isn't the only configuration that works, but this is where we stand and it works every time.

There is no need to stealth all the way in, and then all the way out. That just seems like such a waste of time. Trying to drag the entire group to the statue seems like a lesson in pain~

I key on my Sampire, and I just run through to the statue when we are ready to go. I don't even bother to honor myself. If I get named changeling aggro, I just pull them down by the statue and kill them.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Maybe this will clear it up a little...

Due to the height difference of the 2 areas you need to stand relatively close. There is a little inset area that I have outlined with RED lines. There are 2 tiles in this little area. If you stack everyone on the GREEN tile (northernmost), and the keyholder stands on one of the GREEN tiles indicated in the image above, you will be in range to get the teleport.

This isn't the only configuration that works, but this is where we stand and it works every time.

There is no need to stealth all the way in, and then all the way out. That just seems like such a waste of time. Trying to drag the entire group to the statue seems like a lesson in pain~

I key on my Sampire, and I just run through to the statue when we are ready to go. I don't even bother to honor myself. If I get named changeling aggro, I just pull them down by the statue and kill them.
Yep this is what worked for us every time also..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok. Ill try that when we go next. Merbee is a stealth tamer. He will like the stealthing part.

So you are saying the whole party could be on the outside, even the guy with the wind bottle.

Trying to drag the entire group to the statue seems like a lesson in pain~
Yes it is. Especially when some have never been there and get killed by everything.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yay we got in!

But I still say the Cold Drake is squishy. Died fast. Then a Cu took over, never went below 80% life. Same resists.

But I will take my naj next time.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yay we got in!

But I still say the Cold Drake is squishy. Died fast. Then a Cu took over, never went below 80% life. Same resists.

But I will take my naj next time.
Do you people on LS not heal your pets? Cold Drakes don't have healing. That's the difference. CU is a non optimal pet for dread horn, yes, it can kill it, but so can a 200 strength pet... if it wanted to.

I had my 21 poison resistance pet with no healing skill tank dread horn, it did not die (his tanking wasn't intentional but still)... again I'm very concerned about players inability to heal their pets or do all tamers just afk when they are doing encounters waiting for pets to finish?:p

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
My triceratops with healing and wrestling mastery works wonder as a tank there. I guess keeping AI on it would work too but meh. The dragoon does the AIing, the beetle does rune corruption, the triceratops does the tanking if the macer isn't in the mood to be the target that night.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you people on LS not heal your pets?
I was running consume and healing with G heals. It just dropped at a steady rate. You can get me more keys and I'll take it back and we can watch it die.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I was running consume and healing with G heals. It just dropped at a steady rate. You can get me more keys and I'll take it back and we can watch it die.
Do you have the "pawain resist spread" on it? Make a tamer over on Chesapeake and we will take you to dreadhorn... and anything else~

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
upload_2018-7-15_16-35-38.png

There you go. The spot I use to activate the keys and bring everyone in.
Brave key holder go drop the keys, squish other members stay in that very spot between the trees.