• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discordance] Tamer/Mage to Tamer/Bard

Padre Dante

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Currently I am running a cliche tamer/mage (taming, lore, vet, magery, eval, med, and resist) but have decided to switch the template up and go with disco instead, mainly for the following reasons:
1) To quicken pet training, especially Healing on my Cu Sidhes.
2) To help my pets out during fighting by discording the Mobs.
3) Since I cast very few offensive spells, Eval Int is somewhat wasted, and since my pets should be doing the fighting, Resist Spells isn't quite as needed.

So my new template would look like this:
(following skills set, so no changing, really)
110 Animal Taming
115 Animal Lore
110 Vet
100 Magery

I will drop Eval, and Resist giving me 285 points to spend. I though this:
115 Music/Disco
110 Music/Disco
60 Meditation

So now my questions! (finally, right?)
1) How should I plan the 225 between Music and Disco? (120 scrolls not an option, no $$)
2) Will 115/110 be enough for me to easily disco my pet Cu Sidhes to train them up?
3) What happens if I fail a Disco? Does that target attack? Assuming non-aggressive targets and Cu Sidhes.
4) For my own training, can you gain while Disco-ing your own pets? I know it's "no" when disco-ing yourself.

O

Old Man of UO

Let me take a stab at your questions:

1) I would get as many 115 scrolls as you can afford now, and save for the 120 scrolls. Assuming you can afford 115 music and discord, I would shoot for 110 discord and 115 music (because music is so easy to gain) and then use jewelry to get the extra 5 discord points... and you will still gain discord while wear jewelry. But eventually, 120/120 music/discord makes a huge difference in success rate on high end mobs.

2) 115/110 discord/music will be enough to discord your pet for training. Instead of the max 28% skill decrease it will still be about a 26% decrease. Discording you pet will cut training time in half, and allow you to get the healing skill on cu sidhe up above 90 relatively easily.

3) If you fail discord, the critter does not attack. Unless it is already hostile and already attacking you... heh

4) I don't know the answer to this one... I've never gained from discording ones I've tamed, but I am at 112 real skill and 120 with jewelry. Maybe someone else can help.

Padre Dante

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really appreciate your response. I purchased a 115 Disco and 110 Music already (15k total, no complaints), and am already working towards GM music. In the meantime I will keep my eyes open for cheap 120 scrolls and "steal" more points from meditation when I get up there in skill. I'll keep music at GM while training Disco, anyway, so I am in no rush on finding the scrolls.

I have one more question, as this is my first experience as playing a bard:

5) I have been reading the guides for training discordance and saw the macro for discording 10 tamed/released pets, hiding, rinse, wash, repeat. However, I tried this with UOA and am unable to create a timed pause between actions. Is this training method (macro) being accomplished in KR only?

O

Old Man of UO

I have one more question, as this is my first experience as playing a bard:

5) I have been reading the guides for training discordance and saw the macro for discording 10 tamed/released pets, hiding, rinse, wash, repeat. However, I tried this with UOA and am unable to create a timed pause between actions. Is this training method (macro) being accomplished in KR only?
I've never used this method, but believe you can to that with UO Assist the easiest.

But you can do almost the same thing with just the plain 2D client. Create a macro that goes something like this in 2D:
Target Next
Use Skill Discord
Wait for Target
Target Last

Then just walk along and hold the macro key down, until each cu sidhe is discorded. Then go back to the beginning and start over. You want the cu sidhe spread out far enough so you break line of sight and the discord as you go along.

Mark Trail

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes you can disco your own pet. But that's just one target. You want to have several to macro the skill.

Keep working on it. Adding items you can get total skills up above 780 without to much trouble.

I recommend 100 peace (for area only, not targeted peace) and 120 music and discord. This helps the party a lot on peerless runs.

G

guum

Yes you can disco your own pet. But that's just one target. You want to have several to macro the skill.

Keep working on it. Adding items you can get total skills up above 780 without to much trouble.

I recommend 100 peace (for area only, not targeted peace) and 120 music and discord. This helps the party a lot on peerless runs.
This is precisely my template (100 peace/120 music/disco + magery + taming skills). It is a pretty outstanding solo template as well.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ive never seen the alure of peace on this template.

is it for area peace?
cast invis, carry a invis pot.

seems like a lot of points to sink into a skill that you wont (dont) use that often for that template.

like, if you peace a critter then put your pet on it.... the peace is instantlly broken.

so whats the point?

V

Vertigo

ive never seen the alure of peace on this template.

is it for area peace?
cast invis, carry a invis pot.

seems like a lot of points to sink into a skill that you wont (dont) use that often for that template.

like, if you peace a critter then put your pet on it.... the peace is instantlly broken.

so whats the point?
Agreed. I would rather have provo on a temp for mob control.
To me, peace is useless because of the invis spell.

Padre Dante

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for all of the input.

I found and purchased a 120 Disco scroll. Since I will wait till 120 real Disco to train Music past GM, we could be talking years till I need the 120 music scroll as I'm just a casual player.

And as for Peacing - while I am in no position to argue against it for others, it probably isn't for me, as I can cast Invis with my GM magery, and using Peace would require dropping more points (prolly from Meditation and then Veterinary).