• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tamer Mage Spellweaving Help

RunningMan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I am a returning player and trying to get back into the swing of things and do solo champ spawns with this template. I am able to lead tame pretty much anything with no issues so pets are fairly easy to get.

Looking for tips on ramping back up and doing some champs for fun and profit. Does anyone run a similar template who can give me some tips?

Template: Taming 120, Animal Lore 120, Magery 120, Spellweaving 120, Meditation 120, Eval Intelligence 120

Pet: Good CU, Hiryo and Reptalon pets

Spellweaving:
Advantages: Gift of Life - pet ressurection
Gift of renewal - Extra Healing
Ethereal voyage - Help get around
Essence of wind - For lower level spawns
Word of Death - Main damage spell
Arcane empowerment - Increase spell damage

Mage: Heal, Cure, Teleport, Invisibility, Recall, E-Bolt

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
This is the temp I run. I have no issues with control of any pet.
Pack on the MR and SDI. Also this temp is very item dependent and an Arti-Ho. With the gear being what it is these days it is easy to build a high end suit relatively cheap.

Arcane also increases gheal as well.
Don't forget Gift on yourself. That has saved a lot of solo Peerless/Roof runs for me.

Why run vet? There are places where I actively use it along with gheal, renewal and pet mastery.

Untitled.jpg

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I’ve been into champ spawns and wanted to run a tamer, but after reading tons of posts about Samps being best I tired it. I can confirm nothing beats a well geared samp for spawns. It’s very possible to get a set put together on a budget if you plan it out right.

all that said, I like using thunderstorm for clearing out early spawn on my spell weave tamer. fast cast time and good range. If you use wraith form with a small amount of spirit speak you can spam it.

I also really like a poison breath frenzy WW naja as an aoe pet.

Some spawns you can handle most with your spells so a single target chiv/ai pet to take out the boss is a good choice.

i really like spawns and it’s possible on a tamer certainly, but will just take longer.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I’ve been into champ spawns and wanted to run a tamer, but after reading tons of posts about Samps being best I tired it. I can confirm nothing beats a well geared samp for spawns. It’s very possible to get a set put together on a budget if you plan it out right.
Samps are indeed the way to go for running Champs quickly. If your goal is to get in and out before a raid can be staged then that is your best bet for sure.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
If you are not spawning in fel I think your template works fine. If you want the powerscrolls you would be exposed for a long time using a tamer.

Best guess is that an average time for solo spawn on a samp is 30-40 min and on a tamer it’s an hour.

Emphasis on average. I know people do it way way faster, but that is the exception and not the norm. Realistically it takes a lot longer than times that people post as their fastest time.

Spawns are my favorite thing to do right now, but it does totally suck to have an hour of work go down the drain sometimes.

JBOlsen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run a build without the 120 meditation, instead i use necro/spirit speak for wraithform, to leech back mana. As long the mobs have some mana to leech i can pretty much spam spells constantly.

120: Eval. Int. / SW / Spirit speak
115: Taming / A. Lore
105: Magery
100: Necro
(10 meditation from gear)

With a high SDI suit spells like thunderstorm, wither and essence of wind are very effective at clearing the spawn. After the invasion event super-slayer spellbooks are getting cheap, so for lvl 3/4 just equip the correct slayer and keep casting chain lightning/meteor swarm while the pet tanks.

Suetonious

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I really enjoy the SW tamer for rat spawns. I run the normal set up with meditation. One thing that is helpful is having 20 Necro. This allows you to get in wraith form. As for the pet, anything will do really. You can go chiv ai,rc beetle, dico CB dog and chain lightning down the champ. Sampire is definitely preffered but it can get boring. Nice to switch it up.

Maker2014

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
20 necro? You can cast wraith at 20 necro? Then if wraith, you get to leach mana back from casting all damage AOE spells, magery, SW, and necro or only necro?
TY for info.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
20 necro? You can cast wraith at 20 necro? Then if wraith, you get to leach mana back from casting all damage AOE spells, magery, SW, and necro or only necro?
TY for info.
Yes, 20 is the minimum skill needed but the amount of mana leeched depends on your SS level... so carrying no SS you do not get much in return

The amount leeched is based upon your Spirit Speak skill and the damage you do to the target by weapon or spell. Formula is Spirit Speak / 5:
  • At 0 Sprit Speak 8% of your damage is leeched as Mana
  • at 100 Spirit Speak it's 20%
  • at 120 Spirit Speak it's 24%

Maker2014

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nice! the sweet thing is leaching mana with all types of damage! May try it. thank you. Do you have to have negative karma to leach?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Nice! the sweet thing is leaching mana with all types of damage! May try it. thank you. Do you have to have negative karma to leach?
Mage/SW is dang sure a mana using temp, so any advantage you can get in that area is a huge plus for sure.

RunningMan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
This is the temp I run. I have no issues with control of any pet.
Pack on the MR and SDI. Also this temp is very item dependent and an Arti-Ho. With the gear being what it is these days it is easy to build a high end suit relatively cheap.

Arcane also increases gheal as well.
Don't forget Gift on yourself. That has saved a lot of solo Peerless/Roof runs for me.

Why run vet? There are places where I actively use it along with gheal, renewal and pet mastery.

View attachment 110884
I am not running Vet to give me more points for Meditation 120, Eval Intelligence 120. I used to have vet maxed but stoned it some time ago. Unfortunately I got sick and my house fell and I lost that stone. So far I have been able to keep my pet healed in training without any issues. Last night I trained a fresh Naja with Allosaurus and the only issue was when I lost concentration. But it was pretty easy and quick. The only thing I see vet useful for is resurrection. Am I wrong?

RunningMan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran

all that said, I like using thunderstorm for clearing out early spawn on my spell weave tamer. fast cast time and good range. If you use wraith form with a small amount of spirit speak you can spam it.

I also really like a poison breath frenzy WW naja as an aoe pet.

Some spawns you can handle most with your spells so a single target chiv/ai pet to take out the boss is a good choice.

i really like spawns and it’s possible on a tamer certainly, but will just take longer.
A poison breath frenzy WW Naja is what I am going for! Before I used a CU which I thought was really good. I have a Sampire I was working on before but did not get finished. Fell in love with taming but that is the next character I want to try out.

RunningMan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I run a build without the 120 meditation, instead i use necro/spirit speak for wraithform, to leech back mana. As long the mobs have some mana to leech i can pretty much spam spells constantly.

120: Eval. Int. / SW / Spirit speak
115: Taming / A. Lore
105: Magery
100: Necro
(10 meditation from gear)

With a high SDI suit spells like thunderstorm, wither and essence of wind are very effective at clearing the spawn. After the invasion event super-slayer spellbooks are getting cheap, so for lvl 3/4 just equip the correct slayer and keep casting chain lightning/meteor swarm while the pet tanks.
I thought about trying necro/spirit tamer but fell in love with spell weaving. Only issue now is that it is hard to get spellweaving power ups on Catskills.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Here is my main Tamer template:
120 Animal Taming
120 Animal Lore
100 Veterinary
100 Magery
100 Eval Intel
120 Spellweaving
60 Meditation

On my main suit, I use the Talisman that gives plus 10 Eval Intel. I use the Katakotl Ring for plus 20 Magery and 10 Meditation. I have a Scrapper that has 10 Eval Intel and 10 Meditation. That gets my Magery and Eval to 120 and Meditation to 80. I also have 28 Mana Regen on the suit.

I have two other suits. One is an SDI suit that I swap to for Word of Death when nuking a boss. The other uses the Staff with plus 10 Vet and has a bracelet that has plus 15 Eval Intel and plus 15 Meditation. I use that suit for when I have a pet near death.

This build can hold its own in any scenario. It is very well rounded. I can play defensive or offensive and have a stable full of pets with different specialiazions. It takes time and effort to learn and master.

Personally, I think going all 120s is overrated. You will be just fine if you get some skill points from artifacts on your suit. If you have a halfway decent suit with some mana regen, you won't need 120 Meditation.

As others have pointed out already, a Sampire build is FAR SUPERIOR for Champ Spawns than ANY TAMER WITH ANY PET. Sure you can complete spawns with a Tamer, but I wouldnt use a tamer build in Fel on Atlantic.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
TY for info.
My Death Ray Tamer/Mage © is Human specifically for the 20 Necro/20 SS from JoAT. I can use a Wraith Form scroll to get into Wraith Form reliably, and gain 8% Mana Drain from it. The 8% Mana Drain helps immensely maintaining a Death Ray channel, and can allow me to indefinitely channel it on some foes. With 40% LMC, channeling Death Ray costs me 21 Mana every 3 secs. So long as i'm dealing 265+ damage each Death Ray tick (which is easy against foes with Slayers), then i can maintain Death Ray indefinitely against that foe (so long as they have Mana remaining to leech).

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The only thing I see vet useful for is resurrection. Am I wrong?
Rezzing, curing poison and healing... added stable slots is about the only other thing it brings to the table.

But, it really depends on what you are hunting honestly. There are times where I am running Taming mastery 3, using gheal and actively vetting in order to keep the pet alive. Higher end mobs do higher end damage.

Maker2014

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That is awesome. So as an Elf with jewels and some gear you can easily get 20/20 nec/ss and still be able to leach mana so you can cast T-Storm, and WoD and cast till the cows come home with 8% mana drain and proper gear and MR on suit? Also to use Death Ray you must be using level III Mastery, so you cannot be using Taming or Bard mastery right?
Awesome info and tyvm!