• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taking Out the Trash

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
It's me again with some more questions, sorry. :)

1. If I stick stuff in my trash can in my house and log off, do I still get the points or do I have to wait until it empties? Also, can I place a container containing items in the trash barrel?
  2. If a human char uses a +20 skill item, for example and doesn't have real skill in it, does he/she now have +40 modified in that skill because humans have 20 in every skill?
  3. I made a box with carpentry and was wondering does the same key need to be used to unlock the same box or can it unlock other boxes i've made, and if so, doesn't that make a security issue?
  4. What is the max modified HP, stam & mana a char can have and does the modified count toward the total stat cap(225-260)?
  5. Can something like an item property of Antique be removed from an item with re-forging or imbuing?
Thanks

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Answers added to each question.

It's me again with some more questions, sorry. :)
  1. If I stick stuff in my trash can in my house and log off, do I still get the points or do I have to wait until it empties? Also, can I place a container containing items in the trash barrel?
    Answer: The points typically get "hung up" in the system when you log out before collecting, and apply at some random time later when you're logged on (and usually in a house with a trash can - not necessarily yours). There's been times where I haven't been logged in on a character for a week, then suddenly get points for something I tossed before I logged the last time. And, yes, you can place containers in the trash barrel - I do that all the time when bringing home stuff from T-maps for points. HOWEVER, the container must be under 400 stone COUNTING the weight of the container (so for most containers (that weigh 2 stones) you want to have 398 or less in it), and can only have 124 items or less (as the container itself counts as 125, if you put into an empty trash barrel). And, of course, the container is thrown away as well when the barrel empties (note that the containers from a lot of the holiday and anniversary gifts from before 2010 or so are worth points as well)
  2. If a human char uses a +20 skill item, for example and doesn't have real skill in it, does he/she now have +40 modified in that skill because humans have 20 in every skill?
    Answer: No. The +20 for JOAT is passive/"Virtual", while the equipment skill points are more discrete. So, if you use equipment for it, the higher of the two scores is what manifests for the skill check.
  3. I made a box with carpentry and was wondering does the same key need to be used to unlock the same box or can it unlock other boxes i've made, and if so, doesn't that make a security issue?
    Answer: No, the key is unique to its box. There were lots of requests over the years for keys that fit multiple boxes, but they thought it was too limited use to code (and complicated). This is part of the logic behind the key rings, so you can store multiple keys as one item.
  4. What is the max modified HP, stam & mana a char can have and does the modified count toward the total stat cap(225-260)?
    Answer: The stat caps are primarily on the Base Stats (STR, DEX, INT) and the caps for the derived substats are ill-defined, if at all. The 225-260 cap is for REAL stat points. The caps for each Base Stat is 125 real, 150 after equipment (which means that +30 added to 125 is 150, but so is +30 added to 120). Certain derived stats (specifically HP) had caps at one point (specifically on a per-item basism to where you couldn't get the full benefit of the +30 HP from the one replica helm drop), but I don't know if that is true anymore after the loot changes, as it's possible with the right equipment to approach 220+ mana or stamina (150 from int, the rest from racial bonuses (elf mana) and equipment). And, of course, HP has that odd modifier (HP are basically 100 +/- 1 point for every 2 points different from 100 STR, from 55 base at 10 STR, to 125 base at 150 STR, before +HP items)
  5. Can something like an item property of Antique be removed from an item with re-forging or imbuing?
    Answer: No, unfortunately. The only things the Antiques are good for are unraveling (they are worth 0 cleanup points regardless of intensity), and use by a non-combatant (or at least, a character that avoids being hit).
    a. For example, for 3 months I've been using an Antique ring on my Tamer TH (+20 Magery, +15 Eval, and other mage bonuses), that I let get down to 10 or less durability, before repair, and it's now down to 225. I would not have been able to get away with this if the character was one that would be getting hit by attacks in melee, ranged or spells on a regular basis. So, ironically, antiques are often good for making CRAFTER suits, as you can easily build a suit to max out Mana Regen, STR (for carry capacity) & INT, and achieve extreme mana for scribing from mana increase (as LMC doesn't apply to inscription).
    b. Similarly, Shields never take damage when used by someone without parry (except extremely rarely in the hands of a human), unless from an effect that can damage all areas (the Grizzle goop, for example). So, a Tamer, Mage, Bard, etc. can use an Antique (or Brittle) shield, without having to worry about repairs for months, if not years.
    c. If you DO use an antique item, remember to remove it before doing things like casting spells on yourself to train the spell skills, or going to get cast on to train resist spells (as it seems from my experience Antique items can take damage from non-damage offensive spells)

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Basara did a great job at answering, my only addendum worthy of note would be about antique items. Lots of pretty good jewels are antique. Don't trash them unless the mods are junk. 99% of legendary jewels are antique. If you go to the trade section you will see lots of antique jewels for sale going for hundreds of mills, some a plat+.

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Basara did a great job at answering, my only addendum worthy of note would be about antique items. Lots of pretty good jewels are antique. Don't trash them unless the mods are junk. 99% of legendary jewels are antique. If you go to the trade section you will see lots of antique jewels for sale going for hundreds of mills, some a plat+.
Oh yea I use antique items, but mostly for training. Have to make sure I take them off before combat. I do sell what I don't need too. Thanks Chester :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, I keep antique jewelry that would go onto characters that avoid melee. You just got to keep an eye on them when in use and repair when they get close to single digits.

For example, my Tamer/TH currently uses an antique legendary arti ring, that's

Antique
Healing +15
Eval Int +15
Magery +20
Int +8
Luck 100
FCR 3
LMC 8%
SSI 10%

The SSI and Healing don't really come into play, but otherwise that's 6 properties her template really can use (shame the healing isn't vet).

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dexxer antique jewels sell good too. If the skill mods are decent, has ep, some sort of ssi/hci/dci/di combo, its usable. I run antique jewels on all my pvp chars. The only toon I don't run antique on is my sampire.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just FYI I believe Hp increase is capped at 25 for items. People used to stack HP for pvp (like a mage with 220+hp) so they changed it. To my knowledge they haven't taken the cap off.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I found our recently that INT Increase wasn't acting as many have described over the years.

Instead of there being a "+25 cap", the only cap was the 150 overall cap, and I was able to raise a character's INT by 33 from 117 to 150 using equipment.

The question is now, are any of the other hard or derived stats are working like this?

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
I found our recently that INT Increase wasn't acting as many have described over the years.

Instead of there being a "+25 cap", the only cap was the 150 overall cap, and I was able to raise a character's INT by 33 from 117 to 150 using equipment.

The question is now, are any of the other hard or derived stats are working like this?
Good point.