• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tailor/Smith Question

Calla Lily

Journeyman
I just came back to the game after a 12-year hiatus, and I’m wondering if a Legendary Tailor and Smith can still make a living crafting weapons and armor. Do people still buy colored metal or leather armor or weapons? I’m just getting my shop ready to open again and am wondering if it’s worth stocking with those items.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Nope.

What people want are loot items on the artifact level, or reforged items (which are made by crafting a base material item with a normal tool, then using runics with the imbuing skill to add abilities to them) - some of which can then be enhanced with special materials or have additional abilities imbued on them.

However, the Legendary Smith/Tailor can now use the revamped BOD system to make a living selling the rewards to imbuers.
  • BODs can be bribed up to higher levels, and you can now pick lower rewards if you so wish (like 1 horned runic instead of a 120 Tailor scroll, or a bronze/gold hammer instead of an ASH). That's for claiming Awards directly from the BODs. There's also some new rewards, and BOD systems for several other skills (that suck relative to the Tailor & Smith BOD systems).
  • BODs can have their points banked instead of being turned in for rewards. However, the banking value is 2% of reward value for smalls, and 20% for larges, so you need to sort your BODs and turn the banking system on and off as needed (Bank BODs that have only crappy rewards, while turn in things for full value that have rewards worth using or selling).
Also new for you is what we've called "BOD cycling". About 10 years ago, they made it to where you can claim up to 3 BODs at once for each skill. The BOD timer starts (for 70+ skill) at 360 minutes for your next BOD, and after 3x360 (18 hours) all three will have refilled. However, each time you turn in a BOD (for rewards or banked points), you get the BOD counter reset by +1 (up to the maximum of 3).

So, to turn a bunch of crappy BODs into potentially better ones, you can fill all the crappy ones, then do the following -

A. First, claim new BODs to make sure you have no new BODs coming.
B. Turn in ONE BOD for points.
C. Immediately claim a new BOD from the NPC.
D. Place the new BOD into a BOD book (Scribe craftable which stores BODs, each 5 BODs count as 1 item for pack count). This keeps the filled and unfilled BODs separate, and keeps your backpack item count down.
E. Repeat steps B/C/D until all filled junk BODs are turned in.
F. Go home, sort your BODs between keepers and junk
G. Fill all the junk, and when you feel ready to repeat the process (right then or days later), go back to step A.

Calla Lily

Journeyman
Nope.

What people want are loot items on the artifact level, or reforged items (which are made by crafting a base material item with a normal tool, then using runics with the imbuing skill to add abilities to them) - some of which can then be enhanced with special materials or have additional abilities imbued on them.

However, the Legendary Smith/Tailor can now use the revamped BOD system to make a living selling the rewards to imbuers.
  • BODs can be bribed up to higher levels, and you can now pick lower rewards if you so wish (like 1 horned runic instead of a 120 Tailor scroll, or a bronze/gold hammer instead of an ASH). That's for claiming Awards directly from the BODs. There's also some new rewards, and BOD systems for several other skills (that suck relative to the Tailor & Smith BOD systems).
  • BODs can have their points banked instead of being turned in for rewards. However, the banking value is 2% of reward value for smalls, and 20% for larges, so you need to sort your BODs and turn the banking system on and off as needed (Bank BODs that have only crappy rewards, while turn in things for full value that have rewards worth using or selling).
Also new for you is what we've called "BOD cycling". About 10 years ago, they made it to where you can claim up to 3 BODs at once for each skill. The BOD timer starts (for 70+ skill) at 360 minutes for your next BOD, and after 3x360 (18 hours) all three will have refilled. However, each time you turn in a BOD (for rewards or banked points), you get the BOD counter reset by +1 (up to the maximum of 3).

So, to turn a bunch of crappy BODs into potentially better ones, you can fill all the crappy ones, then do the following -

A. First, claim new BODs to make sure you have no new BODs coming.
B. Turn in ONE BOD for points.
C. Immediately claim a new BOD from the NPC.
D. Place the new BOD into a BOD book (Scribe craftable which stores BODs, each 5 BODs count as 1 item for pack count). This keeps the filled and unfilled BODs separate, and keeps your backpack item count down.
E. Repeat steps B/C/D until all filled junk BODs are turned in.
F. Go home, sort your BODs between keepers and junk
G. Fill all the junk, and when you feel ready to repeat the process (right then or days later), go back to step A.
Wow! They’ve really changed things in the BOD system. I’m going to have to re-learn a lot *LOL*. And what does bribing do? i’ve seen it on some NPCs but haven’t noticed which in particular they were. Is it only on NPCs who trade BODs?

Thanks so much for all of this info, I’ll be reading it over and over as my crafter learns this system.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Bribing is BOD-specific for that crafting type.

It will increase a BOD's type randomly, in the following order of likelihood: Color type (if applicable) is most common, followed by Normal to Exceptional, or lastly one count step from 10 to 15 or 15 to 20. It will tell you if you can't bribe something higher.

it could be as cheap as free, to cost tens of thousands of gold, based on the number you've bribed at that NPC that day, and how often all people have used bribe with him. Less used crafters will tend to be cheaper as a result.

Calla Lily

Journeyman
Bribing is BOD-specific for that crafting type.

It will increase a BOD's type randomly, in the following order of likelihood: Color type (if applicable) is most common, followed by Normal to Exceptional, or lastly one count step from 10 to 15 or 15 to 20. It will tell you if you can't bribe something higher.

it could be as cheap as free, to cost tens of thousands of gold, based on the number you've bribed at that NPC that day, and how often all people have used bribe with him. Less used crafters will tend to be cheaper as a result.
Sounds fun!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I forgot a few things.

Large BODs are usually a lot more expensive to bribe than smalls - usually it's a good idea to make them the first thing you bribe, as you might get lucky and be offered a free or really cheap bribe.

Also, as I stated, the boost to the BOD is random. So, you might be trying to get an increase of a small BOD from 10 normal gold to 10 normal Agapite (the difference being that for smith smalls, the agapite version is a point value that gives POF) - but there's still a small chance that the material quality or item count is what gets changed. The chance seems to be about 1 in 5.
For filling smalls to turn in small, this isn't much of an issue (the exceptional BOD can also be used to get POF, or potentially higher, rewards - and if the count increased to 15 instead, another bribery will put it into the POF range no matter what that bribe results in, as 20 count normal gold is where POF starts).
But, if you're trying to fill a large, an unexpected change can screw things up. Or, if you need a number or quality change, you might have to bribe 5-10 different smalls of the right type to get the property you want to bribe up instead of the materials.
Luckily, with some things (especially most of the skills that had BODs added in the last couple years), materials don't into play at all, and at most it takes 4 bribes to turn any given BOD into exceptional 20 count (10 count normal to 20 Ex), so it's relatively easy to max out the newer-skill BODs - some of them are really only worth turning in at max value, and others are really only good for adding 20% of their value to the banked points, even maxed out (like the various gemmed jewelry LBODs for tinker, that maxed out are only worth 250 points full/50 banked, and only cost-efficient to fill if you loot/mine your own gems instead of buying them).

Calla Lily

Journeyman
Do you bribe first then claim the BOD, or do you bribe while the BOD is showing on the screen waiting to be claimed?

/edit: Figured it out :)

But where does one get a Cooking BOD? I've tried bakers and cooks, but I've had no luck so far.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Let's start with how BODs USED to be - A 20 count normal Small BOD (of base material) was worth 50 points. You could redeem it for a reward worth 50 points, plus some gold.

NOW, the same BOD.....

1. Has a gump in it to allow you to select between Banking points, Not banking points, or being asked with each turn in if you want to bank the points.
  2. If you choose to NOT bank the points, it acts as before, but now you can choose a reward LESS than the point value of the BOD. So, for a 20 count small iron smith BOD, you choose a sturdy mining tool with 150 or 200 uses, a 250 use regular hammer (worth 10 points), and maybe a title certificate or two, that you only need to pick once per character. Any unused points from the BOD are lost.
  3. If you choose to BANK the points, you only get 2% of the BOD's point value, and no rewards (gold/items). 2% of 50 is 1.0 point. However, this accumulates over time as you add more BODs to the bank, and does not interfere with the ability to turn in a later BOD for its full value reward. Large BODs give 20%, not 2%, which makes them more useful when filling LBODs that aren't worth enough to give a decent full-value reward, as a 250 point large will count as 50 in the bank. Each skill has its own pool of banked BOD points.
  4. Originally, during testing, if you claimed a reward from banked points, it wiped the bank, but I believe now that you retain any leftover points. If I remember correctly, you also can't go much over the value of a skill's most valuable BOD reward in bank points, so you eventually have to claim something.

Calla Lily

Journeyman
Let's start with how BODs USED to be - A 20 count normal Small BOD (of base material) was worth 50 points. You could redeem it for a reward worth 50 points, plus some gold.

NOW, the same BOD.....

1. Has a gump in it to allow you to select between Banking points, Not banking points, or being asked with each turn in if you want to bank the points.
  2. If you choose to NOT bank the points, it acts as before, but now you can choose a reward LESS than the point value of the BOD. So, for a 20 count small iron smith BOD, you choose a sturdy mining tool with 150 or 200 uses, a 250 use regular hammer (worth 10 points), and maybe a title certificate or two, that you only need to pick once per character. Any unused points from the BOD are lost.
  3. If you choose to BANK the points, you only get 2% of the BOD's point value, and no rewards (gold/items). 2% of 50 is 1.0 point. However, this accumulates over time as you add more BODs to the bank, and does not interfere with the ability to turn in a later BOD for its full value reward. Large BODs give 20%, not 2%, which makes them more useful when filling LBODs that aren't worth enough to give a decent full-value reward, as a 250 point large will count as 50 in the bank. Each skill has its own pool of banked BOD points.
  4. Originally, during testing, if you claimed a reward from banked points, it wiped the bank, but I believe now that you retain any leftover points. If I remember correctly, you also can't go much over the value of a skill's most valuable BOD reward in bank points, so you eventually have to claim something.
Okay, I think I understand it. It’s complicated trying to figure out which BODs to fill and turn in, and which to bribe up. I over-bribed a couple smalls that I could have used to partially fill larges, but I think I know what to look out for now. Thanks for the help!

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Okay, I think I understand it. It’s complicated trying to figure out which BODs to fill and turn in, and which to bribe up. I over-bribed a couple smalls that I could have used to partially fill larges, but I think I know what to look out for now. Thanks for the help!
Practice with a few crappy BODs first, you will get the hang of it pretty quick.