• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tactics: How to gain?

F

FencingParry

Tactics is todays topic.
I have like an 80 fencing, 80 parrying, had like a 40 swords etc etc.
My tactics is still only like 40. Tips on skills ups for this would be great.
I thought many moons ago, switching weapons alot helped this; I typically
switch weapons every other fight or so as well as during fights. I also tried going long periods of time without switching weapons.
I mean only a 40 tactics?? Thanks in advance.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go to New Haven, find the NPC that give you the tactics quest, then go fight the undead in old Haven . You will fast gain till 50 skill.
Then go to Despise and go kill ettins and earth eles to get you all the wat to GM.

F

FencingParry

Hmm last time I tried to buy a skill in New Haven it would not allow me.
I am at 700 skill points and I do have a few arrows down; yet for example
it would not let me train a new skill of chivalry. Perhaps better lucky with tactics
since I already have the skill; but I just have this wierd feeling once you hit 700 points; you cant buy gains....thats just my feeling though. Anyhows I will definately try that and for the record; Ive been living on Ettins and Earth Eles from the dungeon NE of Britain; so what im hoping is......my skill is just too low at the moment to get good gains off of those monsters.
Thank you very much for the tips and additional tips are welcomed. Thank you

S

slasherofveils

If you are at 700 skill points, make sure you have atleast one skill (that you have points in) set to be able to lower, otherwise you can't raise another skill

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You do not need to buy the skill. You need to ask the tactics trainer for his quest for fast gains.

You can only get the skill quests below 50 skill and they only work up to 50 skill for fast gains in old haven.

C

Cat Crimson

I might have to try that too... I logged on to my fencer on Atl for the first time in about 18 months...she has anat and fencing in the 60's and I don't think her tactics even reached 30 - fought harpies for about half an hour and fencing and anat and other stuff gained fine, tactics did not shift at all
and yes it is turned up and yes I have plenty of skill points turned down to spare.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If skills are below 30 (any skill) best is to buy above it first from the same tactics trainer that gives the quest.Then take the quest. If you take the quest first you can not buy the skill.

Some skills seems to get "stuck" between 25 and 30 and will not go up at all no matter what you do. So its always best to buy up the skill above 30.

The quests are realy handy to get skills fast up between 30 and 50. You get fast gains(like using one of the blue scrolls) in Old Haven when fighting the undead but only after accepting the quest.
When you are in the right area you hear a bell sound and even have a icon in the buff/debuff display. (atleast in KR).

You get even a little reward from it that is always blessed.

C

Cat Crimson

I have tried it and it is working but the only problem is finding enough undead in Old Haven to fight ! I can't get into that bit where there's loads of them and there's just the odd few wandering around. The raising seems to work on other stuff though, ie npc brigands if I can manage to keep myself healed.

G

Once you have gotten over the Haven quest for this, dungeon Deceit is an Undead one.

First level will have some skeletons, zombies and a room where mummies spawn.

Mummies can hit hard, but deliver 10 bandages as part of the loot. Go thru doors on N end and there will be all sorts of stuff there!

C

Cat Crimson

Oh aye, or the several graveyards on both facets... I just wasn't sure if you had to stay on Haven or whether you could move around. There did seem to be more undead about today, but wtf is up with people luring herds of spectral spellbinders into a house or to the side of a boat to work what I guess is spell resist ? thought stuff like that wasn't legal ? *shrug* it also affects the spawn rate I think ?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it effects the spawn rate.

There is realy no need to lure them anywhere. Just attack 5-6 at ones ,then tab out of combat,and keep walking infront of them around town just works well enough to get you all the way to 120 resist if thats needed.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

While in the quest, stay in Haven. Once you have completed the quest, then head on out!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with T'amon , after 50 skill go out to the Dungeons. Go to the Anti Virtue dungeons and go train there in the first levels, well maybe not Destard. And even after a while you might even get rewarded with a Virtue item!

C

Cat Crimson

Heh, nono I wasn't luring them anywhere, I was annoyed at the people who were because it was messing up the amount of things that were available for me to fight in the area.

The tactics are nicely unstuck now. That was a very good tip, thanks ! The other skills are all nearly in the 70's now. It's been a long while since I worked a melee character up at this level. I nearly did think about deleting this one as its yet another character in the crowd that I have to try and stay on top of ... but otherwise there would be a whole class of weapons that I wouldn't use and some of the special moves/attacks you can make with a ninja fencer are fun.

I probably will take her to Fel Covetous and work her, I could do with a few thousand feathers

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehe, did not say you where luring them but i only wanted to say that there is no need to take them anywhere. You can get the same effect with just walking infront of them.