• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

T-hunting. Am I doing it right?

Ning

Journeyman
Since I'm old and my understaending of this "new" system is limited I just have some questions. Mostly on my technique. I thought I'd read something about factors affecting chest loot and want to make sure I'm not nerfing myself. Aside from using a 20 year old template and a suit with 160 luck anyway.

My T-hunter is a peacer so during the remove trap phase I'd just park the first guardian and keep myself healed through the explosions. Now, by not dealing with multiple guardians, am I affecting loot? I then would bring in my tamer I had waiting off screen to kill it off and open the chest and such with the T-hunter. I use the peace and run tactic on the initial pop of spawn and use the tamer for those too. Pretty old time stuff, but as we know, the devs have always had a knack for wrecking time honored tactics and I just want to be sure I'm not screwing myself.

Now that I have a Davies Locker, thanks to the generosity of a kindly player I'm really enjoying doing maps. I know the loot will typically be crap, but the money's good and I must confess that I love those little bags. LoL

Thanks for the help

Deschet

Journeyman
As I understand it, the amount of luck (on your suit) and cartography you have during the initial chest dig affects the quality of the loot. The number of guardians you encounter does not. With enough RT and waiting, one can bypass encountering guardians all together.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
After the initial spawn, you will only get one guardian at a time when using remove trap as long as you kill them. I have had a second guardian spawn while still killing the first (ancient wyrm guardian took a little while). You can also wait it out and not take any damage or guardians.

WiggyJiggyJed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
To expand on the answer by @Deschet, loot quality is determined by two things: Cartography and Luck.

Cartography determines the chest quality (i.e. rusty, standard, golden). Each higher chest quality has a better average loot quality than the one below it.
Luck, much like with mobs, can also improve the loot quality. The higher the luck, the better the chance that the loot quality will be improved.

My understanding is that the luck calculation happens on the first "dig". After that, you can switch your armor. Just don't move and stop the digging, or you'll have to switch back and do it again.

I carry a luck suit on my T-Hunter for digging up the chest, then switch to my battle gear while it's being dug up, in preparation for the spawn.